Format: PaperbackChange

on 15 May 2013
I loved this book. Everything Alex talks about I can relate to - from the fear of setting out on your first run, to the clothing, especially underwear, decisions that come with the sport. I am no professional - I try to do 2-3 5k runs a week but I wanted to read something to inspire me to increase this and do a half marathon. I was always of the mindset that I wasn't a natural runner but reading this book I realise there really is no such thing unless you want to be elite. Most average Joes with two legs and a healthy pair of lungs can run a marathon with a bit of commitment. As Alex says, there is no big secret to running and you just need to get out and do it. So why buy the book if it's that simple? Alex tackles the emotional and psychological side of running in an honest way which is inspiring. She has gone through the same 'what's the point' phase as I have and this book helped me realise that there IS a point to running and it's about so much more than just crossing the finish line or losing weight. It also made me laugh out loud as well as cry, which is why she got the full five stars.
0Comment37 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2013
I read this in 2 days. Beautifully written and non patronising both attributes I like in a book. I'm already a runner and now I've decided to get better at it. Thank you "hemmo"
on 24 March 2014
This book wasn't at all what I was expecting. I thought it would be another "how to" type book, but instead Part I is the story of an ordinary girl's journey from out-of-breath-beginner to full marathoner. Along the way Alex lends her valuable experience to help newbies and seasoned runners alike. The story of her first trip to a running shop made me laugh out loud. Then in other parts I wanted to cry with her as she battled through injury and lack of motivation. I have taken a lot of this book into races with me and it has never failed to inspire me to finish.

Part II is very interesting and inspirational; including a chapter on the history of women's long-distance running starting from when women were banned from competing in the 60's and the stories of the amazing female runners who made it possible for women all over the world to enter any race they choose. Who knew it wasn't until 1984 that women couldn't compete in the Olympic Marathon??

I have the Kindle version and bought the paperback for my 14 year old daughter who is also loving it. I would recommend it to everyone.
on 24 May 2013
As I have just taken up running and being a real novice I enjoyed the way she describes her experience. It made me giggle so many times. Had no idea about the history of running a marathon for women. Just all in all very readable, lots of practical tips and interesting
on 28 August 2013
enjoyed humour in book and gave me encouragement to start running again
writer was very down to earth in her writing
on 24 May 2013
I'm glad I gave this book a try as I am takin on the hobby of running. It's full of useful tips in a much more enjoyable way than browsing blogs and reading websites. Also it is very motivational. It was a good read!
on 30 November 2013
Really great book for anyone just starting out running. Loads of really useful tips and I felt so motivated to go out running while I was reading it. Would recommend to anyone!
on 25 June 2014
Alexandra Heminsley, has managed to write a book about running....for non / aspiring runners. I was a complete non-runner, and had no interest in it until I got signed up to do a 10k...then something happened and I found I was actually enjoying it! This book perfectly captures the fear, pain, pride etc that accompanies that journey, whilst being really inspiring. I'll be reading this over again I think!
on 17 January 2015
First running book I have read, as a novice runner, It's full of hints and tips that I shall take with me when I start running more than 30 minutes/train for charity runs. Easy to read and gives you a good chuckle, light hearted a very enjoyable read. Highly recommend.
on 26 September 2013
When I first started reading I thought it was going to be a lot of chapters about someone's journey and not enough about running but along with the humour and the reality of the author made me want to put on my running shoes and get out there.