Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 26 January 2014
"Raspberry Pi Projects for the Evil Genius" by Donald Norris is an interesting book that introduces reader to Raspberry Pi that is regardless of its small size fully operational computer working on Linux operating system.

Inside the author presented 12 practical construction projects (robot car, MP3 player, camera controller, earthquake detector, GPS...) that showed Raspberry Pi's capabilities from the simple ones to the most advanced and complex.
For each project author stated its requirements, both software and hardware, together with describing whole making process in details, including pictures and schemes.

As author said, the Raspberry Pi is currently a most inexpensive computer that offers such level of functionality and is freely available on market.
Its concept was introduced 7 years ago on Cambridge University in order to make an inexpensive computer that will allow experiments unlike high-end expensive PCs that people for fear of damage don't dare "to play" with.
As a result, the Raspberry Pi was created that allows even small kids to play and experiment, and while they are learning to program they are also able to make things without a fear that something expensive will be damaged or broken.

"Raspberry Pi Projects for the Evil Genius" is nice book for all inventors or device constructors, regardless of their age, although I would strongly recommend it to the teens that will learn a lot while they'll use it.
In an extremely simple and graphically interesting way, with a lot of details the author manages to intrigue the reader not only to make herself/himself these 12 featured projects, but to soon try some own project using the principles learned from the book.

Therefore I recommend this book not only for private use, but also for the schools because it will intrigue students to start thinking creatively and make practical work themselves.
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2013
A really great book even for beginners. I do have experience on microcontrollers and programming so in some cases I skip lots of things and focus on the rest. I like the fact that details are provided for everything - for how to use terminal to how the sensors works! Great book, great projects, a great buy in general!
on 14 May 2015
This book is interesting but because it is mainly based on the older Pi hardware it should not be chosen if you have a Raspberry Pi 2.

The style is also quite, er.. condescending.

Better books exist, Simon Monk would be a good alternative author.
on 1 June 2014
Not sure why it's for evil geniuses as the closest it got was a device to control your lights at home but was really good to give an alternative view on projects for the Pi. I already had books on how to set it up, write Python etc etc and wanted something more project-based to inside ideas. This book does exactly that, provides the code and instructions for how to do them and generally really useful
on 23 December 2015
Being a computer enthusiast / evil genius, this struck me right off the bat as something that would be suitable for me. Needless to say I was not disappointed. My wife often complains that whilst some of my inventions appear genius, they are not evil enough; and vice-versa. This book has given me the inspiration I need to continue being evil whilst not spending too much time trying to figure things out for myself. Thanks Amazon! Some of the projects could have been slightly more evil but hey I'm not the 'evil police'.
on 5 July 2014
Great book - gave this to the IT network manager in our school - someone I regard to have Jedi level geekness / nurdiness and he read the book - declared it "very useful" and said he even had to look a few things up. If you have have to buy a book to get Pi projects for a school moving over to computing curriculum then this is a good place to start.
on 7 November 2014
I bought it for my 12 year old godson and he is very pleased with it as it helps him with programming his Raspberry Pi
on 13 February 2014
Initial chapters on set up of the device might have been better used on some "limbering up" software projects before hitting the GPIO trail itself. The book graphics could be a bit clearer (either colour and\or bigger scale). Not sure it is ideal for a newbie teen who has never handled a soldering iron or other practical skills first, although as an automation technician I find the content OK to run with.
on 20 January 2014
Given as a gift to my husband with a raspberry pi and pored over with much hilarity. I think in retrospect that a book on python would have been more useful to get going, but the ideas provoked a lot of family discussion about projects and was a good introduction to the basic anatomy of the thing for my daughter.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2013
but is daunted by the specialist components he is going to have to buy, so not sure how much he will actually do. He bought me my own Raspberry Pi for Christmas, so maybe I will do one or two of the projects or be inspired to invent my own.