I am currently working on a home project to interface my solar pannel inverter to my Linux based host server. I initially bought a twin port PCI board which was very cheap but Linux didn't like it and I didn't get it working.
I decided to remove the PCI card and replace it with this product. I was a bit dubious having had problems with USB serial in the past.
When it arrived I plugged it in (I am running Fedora 17) it was instantly recognised as /dev/ttyUSB0 by the system.
The nice thing was that all the code that had failed on the PCI card now worked and I was now able to get the stats that I wanted out of my Fronius IG 30 inverter.