‹ Back to Kindle Help Community

Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.3.8

57 replies Sort by

By Amazon.co.uk Kindle Teamamazon, 05-Sep-2013 18:38 BST Permalink Report abuse

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite that can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesoftwareupdates/paperwhite

This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite; however, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

* Search terms highlighted in search results:

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.

* Select other dictionaries when looking up a word:

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.

* View other definitions of a word:

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

If you have any questions or need help with this update, please post below.

Thank you.

By Ms F. Morris, 18-Sep-2013 10:32 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Amazon.co.uk Kindle Team

05-Sep-2013 18:38 BST

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite that can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesoftwareupdates/paperwhite

This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite; however, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

* Search terms highlighted in search results:

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.

* Select other dictionaries when looking up a word:

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.

* View other definitions of a word:

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

If you have any questions or need help with this update, please post below.

my paperwhite is <1 year old but it is repeatedly crashing and rebooting!!!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy cos i cant read my books.

2 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By EF, 23-Sep-2013 09:39 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Ms F. Morris

18-Sep-2013 10:32 BST

my paperwhite is <1 year old but it is repeatedly crashing and rebooting!!!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy cos i cant read my books.

my kindle is doing the same. I had an earlier kindle which did something similar so I am going to complain and ask for a replacement. I suggest you do the same.

3 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By AVH, 26-Sep-2013 11:19 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to EF

23-Sep-2013 09:39 BST

my kindle is doing the same. I had an earlier kindle which did something similar so I am going to complain and ask for a replacement. I suggest you do the same.

Mine went a bit silly for a while yesterday (25/9/13), keeping on resetting. It seemed to be trying to install 5.3.8 but failing. While it was briefly stable, I went into the menu (the three lines at top right) and did a manual "Update Your Kindle" which went through and it seems OK now.

1 person thinks this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Billy, 04-Oct-2013 03:10 BST Permalink Report abuse

When the Kindle Paperwhite is released on October 9, 2013 in the uk will the lighting issues be fixed and would the update 5.3.8 install be already installed.
I have read online that amazon are working on a better light and replacements with an updated light could be sent out in mid December to customers who already own the Kindle Paperwhite.
I hope the uk Kindle Paperwhite has already been updated and the light issue sorted before purchase mine i will keep with my kindle fire hd which i find has an excellent reading screen especially for dark conditions.

Billy

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Billy, 04-Oct-2013 03:14 BST Permalink Report abuse

this is a link about Kindle Paperwhite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2a88u-A03w and he says a revised version in December

Did this help answer the question? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By ellie4149, 09-Oct-2013 15:51 BST Permalink Report abuse

I'm new to kindles and have just purchased the new paper white wifi kindle, are the books displayed in monochrome or colour?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By jean59, 14-Oct-2013 08:49 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to ellie4149

09-Oct-2013 15:51 BST

I'm new to kindles and have just purchased the new paper white wifi kindle, are the books displayed in monochrome or colour?

monochrome

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Kindle Customer, 16-Oct-2013 10:16 BST Permalink Report abuse

I'm thinking of upgrading from Kindle Touch to Paperwhite. Can I take all of my books with me to the new kindle if I purchase one. If so, can anyone tell me how to do it.

7 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Katherine Read, 16-Oct-2013 18:36 BST Permalink Report abuse

I have the new Kindle with 5.4 installed but it doesn't seem to have the option for switching from one dictionary to another easily. I am reading an Italian novel but have to choose a default dictionary. I assume that I don't have the features offered by 5.3.8. When will I get these?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Gadgetgrannie, 19-Oct-2013 20:09 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Kindle Customer

16-Oct-2013 10:16 BST

I'm thinking of upgrading from Kindle Touch to Paperwhite. Can I take all of my books with me to the new kindle if I purchase one. If so, can anyone tell me how to do it.

Yes you can, you will need to register the Kindle and synchronize the your purchases from your Amazon account.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Katherine Read, 19-Oct-2013 21:10 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Gadgetgrannie

19-Oct-2013 20:09 BST

Yes you can, you will need to register the Kindle and synchronize the your purchases from your Amazon account.

I have already registered the Kindle but am I supposed to download 5.3.8 as my new one already has 5.4? Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't want to replace mine with an earlier version.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By ChrisJ, 22-Oct-2013 15:13 BST Permalink Report abuse

New Kindle = 5.4
Older Kindle = 5.3.8

Thank you.

Thank you.

By battyratty, 30-Oct-2013 21:41 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Are there a set of instructions on my Kindle Paperwhite because I can't find them?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Katherine Read, 30-Oct-2013 23:47 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to battyratty

30-Oct-2013 21:41 GMT

Are there a set of instructions on my Kindle Paperwhite because I can't find them?

You should have Kindle Paperwhite user's guide. Mine has a picture of someone reading their Kindle under a tree. Press the home screen option.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Amazon Customer, 02-Nov-2013 16:21 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Katherine Read

30-Oct-2013 23:47 GMT

You should have Kindle Paperwhite user's guide. Mine has a picture of someone reading their Kindle under a tree. Press the home screen option.

Iwant all my books from kindlepaperwhite to be on my first kindle

Thank you.

Thank you.

By , 12-Nov-2013 08:45 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Amazon Customer

02-Nov-2013 16:21 GMT

Iwant all my books from kindlepaperwhite to be on my first kindle

You can carry on using both. You can't automatically synchronize what books are on both Kindles, but you can synchronize reading progress, notes, etc.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By , 12-Nov-2013 08:48 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Has anyone else had this problem? Old Kindle Paperwhite, 5.3.8, put it on charge and try to read a book. The page advance just increases the font size.

It's my wife's Kindle, can't reset it at the moment but will try later. However, it should not be necessary to reset it to cure problems like this. They should not be there, they are bugs! Bugs need fixing.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By m taylor, 12-Nov-2013 12:54 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Just got new paper white and on charge. Going through set up page seems stuck on ..."you can easily learn about a character in a book"
Can anyone advise what I do next please.
Thanks

Thank you.

Thank you.

Deleted by author on 12-Nov-2013 12:55 GMT

By pc, 17-Nov-2013 13:03 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Replacement Paperwhite Kindle does not hold charge for longer than a few days - advert describes long life battery charge? I am not using wifi on this kindle and only reading for about 1.5 hours each night.
Any helpful hints or others experiences of this problem?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By longstaffe, 23-Nov-2013 21:02 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to pc

17-Nov-2013 13:03 GMT

Replacement Paperwhite Kindle does not hold charge for longer than a few days - advert describes long life battery charge? I am not using wifi on this kindle and only reading for about 1.5 hours each night.
Any helpful hints or others experiences of this problem?

Am having the same problem. Have turned off wi-fi and turned down the light. Has helped a bit but still not holding charge for longer than a week.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By fatima, 25-Nov-2013 07:31 GMT Permalink Report abuse

I have problem whit delivery cost is to hi that why I can't complete my order can somebody help me please

Thank you.

Thank you.

Deleted by author on 30-Nov-2013 02:59 GMT

By Mr. A. G. Lockley, 05-Dec-2013 21:28 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Hummm. My paper white has updated and synched all the collection to two kindles on the same account. How can I stop it and make it go back to how it was before update?

Thank you.

Thank you.

If you find this content inappropriate and think it should be removed from the Amazon.co.uk site, let us know by clicking the button below. This will be sent to Amazon.co.uk, and we will take appropriate action.
Thank you for your feedback.
There was an error with your request. Please try again.
Answer this question

This question

Total replies 57
Initial question 05-Sep-2013 18:38 BST
Latest reply 12-Oct-2014 23:00 BST
Please try again.