‹ Back to Kindle Help Community

Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Version 5.3.8

57 replies Sort by

By Mrs J Madigan, 12-Oct-2014 23:00 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Amazon.co.uk Kindle Team

05-Sep-2013 18:38 BST

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite that can be found here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesoftwareupdates/paperwhite

This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite; however, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

* Search terms highlighted in search results:

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.

* Select other dictionaries when looking up a word:

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.

* View other definitions of a word:

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

If you have any questions or need help with this update, please post below.

tried downloading software but it won't work i have version 5.4.3.2

Did this help answer the question? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mrs. B. Canfield, 26-Aug-2014 11:30 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to pc

17-Nov-2013 13:03 GMT

Replacement Paperwhite Kindle does not hold charge for longer than a few days - advert describes long life battery charge? I am not using wifi on this kindle and only reading for about 1.5 hours each night.
Any helpful hints or others experiences of this problem?

Yes I have the same problem. Spoke to someone on Chat line and he said I need to update my Kindle to 5.4 which is fine but my update button in settings and is greyed out. I am fed up with this Kindle, I get 3 days out of a charge reading about 30 mins a day. Really annoying

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Amazon Customer, 19-Aug-2014 16:29 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Pauline Williams

13-Jan-2014 15:18 GMT

Thank you very much, have now found how to delete the books I no longer require. It is just a pity you cannot tick the ones you have read.

Set up a collection of 'Books Read' and move book when read to this

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Damaskcat, 05-Jul-2014 15:23 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Mrs Carol Dent

25-Jun-2014 09:29 BST

How do I get rid of all the books that have been put into my cloud that are already On Device if I change the order it just gets worse. Help

You cant get rid of them unless you delete them completely from your account. Every book owned by that account shows under cloud whether on your device or not that is how it is supposed to be.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mrs Carol Dent, 25-Jun-2014 09:29 BST Permalink Report abuse

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite that can be found here:

This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite; however, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.

When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.

When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

How do I get rid of all the books that have been put into my cloud that are already On Device if I change the order it just gets worse. Help

Thank you.

Thank you.

Deleted by author on 25-Jun-2014 06:24 BST

By Customer, 25-Jun-2014 00:59 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to pc

17-Nov-2013 13:03 GMT

Replacement Paperwhite Kindle does not hold charge for longer than a few days - advert describes long life battery charge? I am not using wifi on this kindle and only reading for about 1.5 hours each night.
Any helpful hints or others experiences of this problem?

Mine is the same, battery lasts approximately 8 hours not WEEKS !!!!!!!

1 person thinks this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Amazon Customer, 15-Jun-2014 23:45 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to D. J. Willis

10-Jun-2014 08:39 BST

I do the same regarding books that I have read but since the last update I have found a similar problem. The books I have in the cloud still appear on my Kindle even when it is supposedly showing just the books downloaded to the Kindle/device. The only way I can distinguish between the cloud and device is that for those in the cloud the font is pale grey rather than black. Another issue is that stars and ticks have appeared alongside my books and I have no idea what these mean. All very frustrating

I had the same problem, I logged on to my amazon account on my computer went to manage your kindle and deleted these items from my cloud library; no more greyed out titles. This permanently deletes them and if you want to read them again you will have to re-purchase. Books I have read but want to keep; I use collections as files and keep them tidied away on the kindle as "read" or simply under author name. To make a collection; press and hold on the 3 bars on the top right of the kindle toolbar and select "create new collection" name it and tick all items you want in it. Press and hold "recent" then scroll down to "collection" and press, this will put your page on view in collections. To add a single favourite later on, just hold on the book until the menu appears and press add to collection. This works better for me. My favourite books are still then retained on my kindle and also on the cloud library in case I get a new kindle at some point, I will download them from the cloud and won't need to re-purchase. I can also send cookery books or books with glossy pictures to my tablet or pc for viewing, by registering these devices in my account and sending the titles I want from the cloud library. My books all have ticks on them, I think this shows they are also stored on the cloud. If it didn't have a tick and I deleted it from my kindle; I think I would lose it permanently and would need to purchase again if I wanted it. If it has a tick it is also on the cloud library and can be retrieved if required. My collections all show stars, I assume this means all the books in the file are also on the cloud library so if I delete the whole collection, all the books are backed up. If there is no star all the books are not backed up and therefore could be deleted permanently if I removed the collection.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By D. J. Willis, 10-Jun-2014 08:39 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to ep1965

25-May-2014 13:42 BST

Dreadful update. Completely screwed up my list of books I had on my Kindle. I only have unread books on my Kindle. When I've read them I remove from device. Now I have every book I ever purchased on the device. No way to sort by unread. Dreadful update. Do the people making these decisions even use the device? Do they read??

I do the same regarding books that I have read but since the last update I have found a similar problem. The books I have in the cloud still appear on my Kindle even when it is supposedly showing just the books downloaded to the Kindle/device. The only way I can distinguish between the cloud and device is that for those in the cloud the font is pale grey rather than black. Another issue is that stars and ticks have appeared alongside my books and I have no idea what these mean. All very frustrating

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Customer, 01-Jun-2014 16:50 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to ep1965

25-May-2014 13:42 BST

Dreadful update. Completely screwed up my list of books I had on my Kindle. I only have unread books on my Kindle. When I've read them I remove from device. Now I have every book I ever purchased on the device. No way to sort by unread. Dreadful update. Do the people making these decisions even use the device? Do they read??

I have to say that I agree, Only purchased the Paperwhite today as an update and when I did the initial transfer my collections came across and more importantly stayed in the correct reading order. Then there was the automatic update and the books within each collection reverted to alphabetical order! It does seen a step back

Thank you.

Thank you.

By ep1965, 25-May-2014 13:42 BST Permalink Report abuse

3 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By JennyWells, 17-May-2014 15:40 BST Permalink Report abuse

I have no complaints as yet. Very happy with your service. What I would like to know is whether new black and white paperface is touch control, like a mobile. You may think I'am a bit thick but trying. Thank you I look forward to your e-mail

Thank you.

Thank you.

Deleted by author on 09-May-2014 15:52 BST

By Mrs. Diane Hartnell, 12-Mar-2014 19:24 GMT Permalink Report abuse

New kindle paper white - instructions are stuck in Japanese! How do I get back to English?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By MRS P A PARRINGTON, 07-Mar-2014 19:46 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Kindle 3 g disapeared

Thank you.

Thank you.

By douglas@guernsey.net, 07-Mar-2014 16:48 GMT Permalink Report abuse

How do I transfer my Kindle Books to my new Kindle Fire?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By E. A. Williams, 26-Feb-2014 06:46 GMT Permalink Report abuse

I had a new kindle for Xmas, and although I have an amazon account, it will not accept my amazon account pass word. WHY!!!!!!!????????? will I have to set up a new pass word?????? Ann Williams.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Campbell Morrow, 20-Feb-2014 22:51 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to longstaffe

23-Nov-2013 21:02 GMT

Am having the same problem. Have turned off wi-fi and turned down the light. Has helped a bit but still not holding charge for longer than a week.

My paper white goes flat overnight and I am not prepared to switch off WiFi to try and solve problem. I 'll contact Amazon for a suggestion and see the result. Interesting it has , I guess 1 year warranty, so works for just over one year !!!

Thank you.

Thank you.

By SML, 14-Feb-2014 09:21 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Is this software update available for the earlier Paperwhite?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Y. McPherson, 12-Feb-2014 15:54 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Ms F. Morris

18-Sep-2013 10:32 BST

my paperwhite is <1 year old but it is repeatedly crashing and rebooting!!!!!!!!!!!! It is driving me crazy cos i cant read my books.

did you resolve the problem - mine has started doing the same and I've to reboot it every time it needs charged.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Pauline Williams, 13-Jan-2014 15:18 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Thank you very much, have now found how to delete the books I no longer require. It is just a pity you cannot tick the ones you have read.

2 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By KCLS, 13-Jan-2014 13:08 GMT Permalink Report abuse

10-Jan-2014 22:05 GMT

Help please, how do I delete books I have read? Thanks.

Doesn't look like anyone's replied to this one? touch and hold the book until it comes up with a menu, one of which is Delete from Device. this takes it off your Kindle but leaves it on the cloud in case you want to re-read. The only way I have found to delete things permanently is if I use the Kindle Reading App on my PC and delete from there. Be better if there was both a "Delete from Device" and a "Permanently delete" option

2 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By longstaffe, 10-Jan-2014 22:24 GMT Permalink Report abuse

10-Jan-2014 22:01 GMT

I too am having problems with charge, only bought the paperwhite because of the supposed long charge.

I have done what other people have done and turned aeroplane mode on when just reading and turned light down to 10. It has been much better since then.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Pauline Williams, 10-Jan-2014 22:05 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Help please, how do I delete books I have read? Thanks.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Pauline Williams, 10-Jan-2014 22:01 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to longstaffe

23-Nov-2013 21:02 GMT

Am having the same problem. Have turned off wi-fi and turned down the light. Has helped a bit but still not holding charge for longer than a week.

I too am having problems with charge, only bought the paperwhite because of the supposed long charge.

Thank you.

Thank you.

If you find this content inappropriate and think it should be removed from the Amazon.co.uk site, let us know by clicking the button below. This will be sent to Amazon.co.uk, and we will take appropriate action.
Thank you for your feedback.
There was an error with your request. Please try again.
Answer this question

This question

Total replies 57
Initial question 05-Sep-2013 18:38 BST
Latest reply 12-Oct-2014 23:00 BST
Please try again.