Download Adobe Reader
Many computers already have Adobe Reader installed. If yours does not, follow the instructions below to download Adobe Reader for free.
Download & Installation Instructions
- We recommend that you print out these instructions for reference during the installation process. You might be asked to reboot your computer to complete the Adobe Reader installation process.
- For Windows and Macintosh operating system requirements, click here.
- If you are using Linux, or another non-Windows or Macintosh operating system, check Adobe's System Requirements page to determine the system requirements for your operating system.
- For approximate download times, click here. When you've downloaded Adobe Reader, installation and set-up will take 5 to 10 more minutes.
- If you experience problems with installing or activating Adobe Reader, check the Adobe Reader support page.
Click the "Get Adobe Reader" button (above or below) or go directly to http://adobe.amazon.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
- In the Step 1 box, select your operating system from the "Platform" drop-down menu.
- Click the "Download" button and follow the download instructions. If you are downloading to Windows, make sure you choose to "Save" the file, not "Open" when you see the "File Download" dialogue box. Make a note of where you save the file--the desktop is recommended. Note: if you are running Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, a dialogue box is displayed when the download is complete, which prompts you to begin installation.
- If you are not prompted to begin installation, locate the file you have just downloaded and double-click it.
- During installation, you may be prompted to restart your computer. (You may want to complete your e-Book purchase now before installing the reader.) After the restart, installation continues automatically.
- When installation is complete, an Adobe Reader icon appears on your desktop. To open Adobe Reader, double-click the icon.
- Activate Adobe Reader when prompted--activation enables you to read protected e-Book content as well as traditional PDFs.
If you experience problems with installing or activating Adobe Reader, check the Adobe Reader support page.
For full system requirements, including platforms other than Windows and Macintosh, check Adobe's System Requirements page.
Windows operating system requirements
- Processor: Pentium-class processor
- Operating Systems: Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 SP 6, Windows 2000 Professional SP2, Windows XP (Home, or Tablet PC edition)
- Software: Internet Explorer 5.01 or later is required
- Memory requirements: 32 MB RAM (64 MB recommended)
- Hard disk space for Adobe Reader (English): 55 MB default installation (basic version); 80 MB default installation (full version)
- Additional 40 MB of hard disk space for Asian fonts installed by separate Asian Language Support installers (optional)
- Web Browser support: Internet Explorer 5.01, 5.5, 6.0 or 6.1, Netscape Navigator 7.0, AOL 6.0, 7.0, or 8.0
Macintosh operating system requirements
- Processor: PowerPC processor G3 or greater
- Operating Systems: Mac OS 10.2.4 or later
- Memory requirement: 32 MB of RAM (64 MB recommended)
- Hard disk space for Adobe Reader (English): 70 MB default installation (basic version); 90 MB for Adobe Reader drag and drop install with all features (full version)
- Additional 40 MB of hard disk space for Asian fonts installed by separate Asian Language Support installer (optional)
Back to download instructionsApproximate Download Times
The following download times are based on the Windows version of Adobe Reader. Download times for Macintosh, Linux and other non-Windows operating systems will be different.
The file size is approximately 15 MB.
- T-1/T-3--about 1 minute
- Cable/DSL--1-2 minutes
- ISDN--8-20 minutes
- 56K--30-40 minutes
- 28.8K--about 1 hour