Credit or Debit Card Declined
If you receive notification that your credit or debit card has been declined, you must contact the bank that issued the card to find out why. You should also check if the card attached to your Amazon.co.uk account has expired.
Note: only your bank can tell you why your card has been declined.
If you placed an order for a Marketplace item and your card was declined, we will send you an e-mail asking you to submit your card details again. If the card is again declined, the order will be cancelled. If you still want to purchase the item, you must place another order.
Troubleshooting Failed Authorisations and Payment Declines
To protect your security and privacy, your bank cannot provide Amazon with information about why your payment was declined. Because of this, you most likely need to contact your bank directly to solve most payment issues.
If you want to try again with a different card or confirm your details are correct by retrying your current card, go back to your order and enter your card details again:
- Go to Your Account
- Click "Your Orders" and sign in with your e-mail address and password.
- Click the "Change Payment Method" button next to the order you want to modify.
another payment card from your account or submit a new card number
(check the expiry date). Remember to click the "Confirm" button after
making your change.
Amazon Customer Service can help you:
- Verify if you entered your payment information correctly on your order.
- Change the payment method on an open order.
Contact your bank to resolve other payment issues even if:
- You've successfully used the payment method on a previous order.
- Part of your order has already charged and dispatched successfully.
- You have funds available in your bank or credit account to cover the order cost.
Here are steps you can take to resolve payment issues:
If you receive notification that your credit or debit card has been
declined, you must contact the bank that issued the card to find out
why. You should also check if the card attached to your Amazon.co.uk
account has expired.
- Contact your bank about payment security policies. Your bank may flag any unexpected activity on your account. This includes first time orders and high value purchases, regardless of the amount of funds available (or credit limit). Your bank may require your verbal authorization to proceed with a transaction. (Your bank's phone number can be found on the back of your card)
- Contact your bank about daily withdrawal or purchase limits. Most banks have limits on how much money can be charged or accessed in a single day. If you exceed this daily amount, your bank may block your account from any further activity regardless of available funds in the account. Your bank may require you to request a higher purchase limit to complete the transaction. (Your bank's phone number can be found on the back of your card)
- Contact your bank about payment authorisations and reserved funds. When you place an order with Amazon.co.uk or on Amazon Marketplace, we contact your card's issuing bank to confirm that your credit card has a valid number, and has not been reported as lost or stolen. Your bank's response is communicated via a full authorisation for the amount of the purchase. (Your bank's phone number can be found on the back of your card)
If you make changes to your order, cancel items, or an order consisting of multiple items dispatches in more than one delivery, your card may be authorised for each change and funds may be reserved against your account for each authorisation.
Some banks have been known to hold these authorisations for 7-10 business days. If your payment is declined due to the lack of available funds, contact your bank to confirm if the reserved funds are authorisations, verify the amount of time they hold authorisations, and request that they remove any extra authorisation to free up funds in your account. (Your bank's phone number can be found on the back of your card)
- Verify the payment information entered on your order. Did your billing address change recently or did you get a new card with a new expiration date? If you used a payment method already on Your Account, you may simply need to update some of the information. If you entered a new payment method, make sure you entered the number and other information correctly. Visit the Change Payment Method section of Your Account to update the payment information on an open order.