Prohibited Seller Activities and Actions
- Do not list your item against a detail page with a different ISBN, UPC or other external identifier. Only list an item against a detail page with the same ISBN or UPC as your item.
*Exception: Club editions of audio CDs should be listed against the detail page for the standard edition of the CD, even if the UPCs of the two editions are different, if the following criteria are met: 1) the content on both editions is identical and 2) a page with the UPC for the club edition does not already exist in the Amazon catalogue. Use the listing comments to indicate that the item is a club edition. Format of the products (CD) must be identical.
- Do not deviate from the product format represented on a retail page. When listing your item, you must do so on the page with the same item, in the same format. For example, you may not list a cassette tape of U2's War with an Amazon.co.uk CD of the same recording.
- Be honest about the condition of your item. When listing an item, be careful to select the condition term that best represents the item you are posting to Amazon Marketplace. Furthermore, within the "Condition comments" field, please submit only information that relates to the condition of the Amazon Marketplace item you are selling.
- Do not divert transactions or buyers. Any attempt to circumvent the established Amazon.co.uk sales process or to divert Amazon Marketplace participants to another website or sales process is prohibited. Specifically, any advertisements, marketing messages (special offers) or "calls to action" that lead, prompt, or encourage Amazon.co.uk users to leave the Amazon.co.uk website are prohibited. Prohibited activities include the following:
- The use of e-mail intended to divert customers away from the Amazon.co.uk sales process.
- The inclusion of hyperlinks, URLs or web addresses within any seller generated confirmation e-mail messages or any product/listing description fields that are intended to divert customers away from the Amazon.co.uk sales process.
- Limit your contact with transaction partners. Amazon.co.uk encourages buyers and sellers to communicate with one another by e-mail during an Amazon Marketplace transaction. Contact between parties must be courteous and limited to transaction details. Facilitating inappropriate or unsolicited contact is a violation of our Community Rules.
- Do not misuse the ratings and feedback forum. Ratings help participants develop a reputation within the Amazon Marketplace community. The rating feature is a forum where buyers and sellers can evaluate the overall performance of a transaction partner. Participants may not post abusive or inappropriate feedback or include personal information about a transaction partner. Furthermore, any attempt to manipulate ratings of any participant is prohibited;please note that this also includes posting ratings to your own account. Since ratings cannot be altered, be careful to give your transaction partner enough time to complete a sale before submitting a rating.
- Delayed dispatches or pre-sells are prohibited. Items offered through Amazon Marketplace must be dispatched within two business days of the date the order confirmation is made available to you. Therefore, you should not list or match against items that Amazon designates as pre-orderable. It is also important to maintain accurate inventory records, as instances of "stock-outs" could be reflected in your seller feedback rating. If an item you are offering will not be available for immediate dispatch upon order, either cancel the order or alert the buyer, and initiate a refund if necessary. Amazon will immediately cancel any seller listing for Books, Music, Video or DVD items that Amazon designates as pre-orderable.
- Operating multiple seller accounts: Operating and maintaining multiple seller accounts is prohibited. If you have a legitimate business need for a second selling account, you can apply for an exception to this policy. Contact Seller Support and choose "Account status" from the drop-down menu. In your request, please provide an explanation of your legitimate business need for a second account. Also note that in order to be considered for approval, you must:
- Have an account in good standing with excellent Customer Metrics
- Have a separate e-mail address and bank account for the new account
- Not intend to sell the same products in both accounts
You will receive a response to your request within 2-3 business days.
- Multiple sellers may not be aggregated into a single account, unless the aggregating entity is an Amazon subsidiary. In the interest of improving customer experience, every seller must be fully accountable for their customer-facing performance as measured by the Amazon Seller Performance Plan. Each seller must either maintain their own account with Amazon, or sell through the account of an aggregating entity that is an Amazon subsidiary.
- Do not misuse the Amazon selling platform: As a community, all sellers are able to access and use the Amazon selling platform. If a seller uploads excessive amounts of data repeatedly, or otherwise uses the platform in an excessive or unreasonable way, it can create a disproportionate load on the platform and impair the ability of other sellers to easily access and use the platform. If a seller is misusing or making excessive or unreasonable use of the Amazon selling platform, Amazon may at its sole discretion restrict or block access to product feeds or any other platform functions that are being misused until the seller stops the misuse.
Sellers are expected to conduct proper research to ensure that the items posted to our website are in compliance with all applicable laws. If we determine that the content of a product detail page or listing is prohibited, potentially illegal, or inappropriate, we may summarily remove or alter it. Amazon.co.uk reserves the right to make judgments about whether or not content is appropriate.
The following items must not be listed for sale through Amazon Marketplace:
- Promotional media: promotional versions of all media--including books (advance reading copies and uncorrected proofs), music, software, PC & video games, DVDs and videos (screeners)--are prohibited. These items are distributed for promotional consideration and are not authorised for retail distribution or sale.
- Unauthorised and unlicensed merchandise: all media--including books, CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs, software and PC & video games sold through Amazon.co.uk Marketplace--must be fully licensed and authorised versions. All items sold through Marketplace must be commercially produced and authorised or licensed as a retail product. Only full retail versions of software may be sold through Amazon.co.uk.
- Software: software that has been copied or duplicated in any format is prohibited. Additionally, academic, OEM, back-up, fulfillment, promotional, beta (prerelease), unauthorised freeware/shareware and "softlifted" software versions are prohibited. The majority of software licence agreements permit the initial licensee of the software to make a one-time permanent transfer of the licence directly to an end user. Sometimes the licence requires the transfer to include all of the software product (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, the licence itself and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). You should refer to your software's licence agreement to ensure that any software posted for sale is permitted to be transferred.
- Video games: video games sold through Amazon.co.uk must be full retail versions. Recopied and transferred video games are prohibited. Mod chips, silver disks, video game emulators, Sega bootdisks, game enhancers, unauthorised video game compilations, and accessories are also prohibited.
- Region 1 DVDs: new region 1 DVDs are restricted products and may not be sold through Amazon.co.uk unless you have received pre-approval for such sales generally from Amazon.co.uk. Only sellers resident in the USA or Canada who dispatch their products from the USA or Canada are eligible for pre-approval. Only new region 1 DVDs which have been age-rated in Canada or the US may be sold through Amazon.co.uk, and the age rating must appear in the seller's region 1 DVD listing. Sellers of new region 1 DVDs are prohibited from selling more than one copy of any new region 1 DVD to any customer, or from selling any new region 1 DVD to any customer who is purchasing the DVD for commercial purposes.
- Recopied media: copies, dubs, duplicates or transfers of books, music, videos, television programmes, radio programmes, concerts, DVDs, software etc., are prohibited. Recopied media infringe upon copyrights and trademarks and are illegal to sell. Just as you cannot sell a photocopied book without the author's permission, you cannot sell copies or duplicates of videos, music, video games, software, photos or any copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder.
- Products that are not safe: all new toys and electrical equipment must be CE marked. All toys and electrical equipment, whether new or used, must be safe (that is, there is no risk that the equipment will cause death, personal injury or damage to property) and, where applicable, come with a UK standard three-pin plug. You must have used and refurbished electrical equipment tested by an expert prior to listing to verify that it is safe. You must not list any product that has been the subject of a product safety recall, regardless of branding. More information on current product recalls can be found here.
- Cigarette subsitutes: Electronic cigarettes (including e-shisha and e-hooka cigarettes), herbal cigarettes and herbal smoking mix are all prohibited if they contain tobacco or nicotine. Other nicotine-based products that are not approved as aids to smoking cessation by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) are prohibited. Any tobacco-based product is prohibited.
- Animal products: Parts or products from whale, dolphin, shark, elephant (including elephant ivory) or from any other regulated endangered plant or animal are prohibited.
- Plants, plant material and seed: Certain types of plants, seeds and other plant material are prohibited or regulated to ensure they are safe for pets, humans and the environment. You should seek advice from appropriate government authorities before (a) exporting, importing, receiving or transporting such agricultural or plant material, and (b) selling seed, as marketing regulations apply and licensing may be required (e.g. for vegetable and grass seed). The appropriate authority is the Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA) in the UK and the Department of Agriculture in the Republic of Ireland.