Merchant and Item Quality FAQs
Here's a list of answers to the most common questions about actions taken by Seller Performance and Merchant Review:
What is Merchant and Item Quality?
- Merchant and Item Quality is the department responsible for ensuring that sellers adhere to our Participation Agreement, which includes our Prohibited Content and Item Guidelines. We also monitor sellers' performance to ensure they are providing the best possible buying experience to our customers.
- You may know us as Seller Performance or Merchant Review.
- If we are advised of listings or ASINs which may violate our Participation Agreement, we will cancel the listing and advise you by email.
- Please be aware that repeated violations of the Participation Agreement may result in your account being closed ("blocked").
- When an account is blocked all listings are removed from Amazon.co.uk and you will be unable to create new listings.
- Please note that Sellers Support staff are unable to assist you with questions regarding actions taken by Merchant and Item Quality
What performance criteria do you measure?
Three primary criteria are used to measure seller performance:
- Feedback. Feedback is an indicator of overall customer satisfaction. A seller who maintains a low percentage of negative ratings reflects our customer-centric philosophy. We measure feedback using the negative feedback percentage. One- and two-star ratings are considered negative.
- A-to-z Guarantee Claim Rate. A seller who works with customers to resolve problems with orders avoids most A-to-z Guarantee claims. This results in a better customer experience. We measure the claims rate using the percentage of all orders that involved a claim in which the seller is deemed responsible.
- Media Refund Rate. In our marketplace the vast majority of media refunds (Books, Music, DVD, and VHS) occur because of problems with inventory availability or accuracy of description. A low media unit refund rate demonstrates a seller's ability to fulfill inventory promises. The refund rate is expressed as a percentage of media units shipped.
What can I do to improve my performance?
- If your performance declines you will receive a warning email from us.
- Please review any warnings carefully. If you have mitigating circumstances which have caused the performance
decline please let us know here.
Sellers with poor performance may be subject to account closure or suspension at the discretion of Amazon.co.uk.
- Carefully describe and categorise items to avoid any customer confusion.
- Provide helpful and timely customer service.
- Carefully pack items to avoid any damage that might occur during shipping.
- Dispatch orders within 1 to 2 business days.
- Provide post-transaction support (refunds, returns, and exchanges) to help ensure customer satisfaction.
- Encourage your customers to leave you feedback after the transaction.
- You can find further details of our
Best Practice guidelines here.
- You can find details of
our feedback guidelines here.
What is an account review?
- To ensure that all parties have the best experience on Amazon.co.uk, we may conduct a broader review of your Amazon.co.uk Marketplace account. We conduct such reviews on a very small percentage of our sellers.
- If your account is affected, you will receive an email notification from Merchant Review.
- During a review your funds, will be reserved in your Amazon.co.uk seller account for up to 30 days. Although we will delay the transfer of funds to your account, we will continue accepting orders on your behalf for items you list for sale on Amazon.co.uk.
- It is important that you continue to dispatch goods promptly.
- You may wish to contact buyers who have not left you feedback yet.
- You will receive email notification once the review is complete.
What is an account suspension?
- An account suspension is similar to an account review, except we temporarily remove your listings from our website as well as reserving your funds for up to 30 days.
- If your account is affected you will receive an email notification from Merchant Review.
- This is not necessarily a negative reflection of your selling history.
- It is important that you continue to fulfil any orders that were completed before the removal of your listings.
- You will receive email confirmation once the suspension is complete.
- When the suspension ends please ensure that you review your inventory.
What information do you need to complete your account review?
- While your funds are being reserved, we will be actively contacting your buyers to find out how their experience is proceeding. This information will be used with any feedback received on your account to help build your history with Amazon.co.uk.
- We encourage you to send a friendly reminder for your buyers to leave feedback on your account after they have received their item(s). They can do so by visiting their account.
- If you have dispatched your orders via a traceable shipping method you may be able to expedite the release of your funds by providing us with the tracking information for those orders. You can do so here.
When will my funds be transferred?
My account is being reviewed or is suspended:
- Once our review is complete you will be able to transfer funds to your bank account.
- Account reviews can take up to 30 days. You will receive an email notification when the review is complete.
- The "Transfer funds to bank account now" link may be visible in Your Seller Account. However, if you click on this link, transferring funds will not be successful.
My account is blocked:
- Your funds will be reserved in your Amazon.co.uk Marketplace account for 90 days following the date of closure.
My account has no enforcement action against it:
My account is blocked, how do I appeal your decision?
- Contact us through the website here.
- Please include any evidence you have to support your request for reinstatement.
Why was my listing cancelled?
- There are a number of reasons why we cancel listings. Every time we cancel a listing, we send an email confirmation to explain why.
- If cancellation has been requested by an intellectual property owner we will include their contact details in your confirmation email. Please contact them for more information.
- If you wish to appeal a cancellation please contact us.
How do I report a violation on site?
- You can report any violation of our
Participation Agreement here.
- Please take care to include any relevant information: affected ASIN/ISBN (e.g. B000HYCZ42); seller's nickname; details of the violation.
- If you are an intellectual property owner please fill in our declaration form here.
Can I contact you by telephone?
Here's a list of answers to the most common questions about actions taken by Seller Performance and Merchant Review.
- At this time we do not offer the facility to contact us by telephone.
- You may contact us
via our website here.
- Please note that Sellers Support staff are unable to assist you with questions regarding actions taken by Merchant and Item Quality.
Please use the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.co.uk Seller account.