Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Wouldn't you rather Amazon spent it elsewhere...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Dec 2007 09:55:38 GMT
C. Stewart says:
Such as on their awful courier services and especially their own customer services. I certainly would, having sent 5 e-mails and spent around 5 hours on the phone to them recently to get some recompense for them and their crap courier Parcelnet completely messing up my young daughter's birthday!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:10:23 GMT
maybe...but they will probably make more money out of this than they put into it

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:10:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2007 10:11:59 GMT
Opsimath says:
Let me see...would I rather Amazon gave two million pounds to protecting damaged and vulnerable children, or would I rather they compensated people like you who are clearly incapable of admitting that whilst annoying, a delayed parcel is NOT the end of the world? Mmm, hard choice.
Seriously, how selfish are you?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:14:13 GMT
The money has gone to a fantastic charity, we're getting to read the stories, and Amazon have purchased an investment! Who would not be happy about this??

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:14:14 GMT
Lynn S says:
I'm sorry your experience of Amazon (which hasn't been mine) messed up your daughter's birthday. But nearly 2 million to kids that get nothing let alone birthday treats - how can you begrudge that?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:50:26 GMT
Ash says:
Ah... Parcelnet... the reason I never use the free shipping here. I'd rather pay the postage and ensure the Royal Mail deliver it, rather than get it free and have Parcelnet "deliver" it - or, in one case, throw the parcel over a six foot wall... it's a good job there was nothing breakable in there...

Parcelnet are, frankly, useless.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 10:53:29 GMT
True, we have a dog flap into our garage, with a sign above it saying:

"Please do not post any packages through here, our dog will eat them!"

Guess where Parcelnet/Parcelforce puts them .....?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 11:31:47 GMT
C. Stewart says:
Selfish, no, as I give plenty of money to various charities myself, but I do get rather annoyed when my daughter has her birthday ruined through no fault of ours. My daughter suffers from learning difficulties and is very hard of hearing, and was very upset over this matter. So as far as my personal circumstances are concerned I think I'm right to moan about this. Anyway, the parcel wasn't delayed as you think, the courier didn't even attempt to deliver, they just sent it back without even the courtesy of a card through my door to say what had happened. Amazon gave me a refund, then asked me to re-order - at double the price!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 11:59:12 GMT
C. Stewart, I do sympathise as i too have a child with additional needs, and trying to explain problems like this is difficult.

Amazon is very expensive for delivery, and I have occasionally experienced problems with delivery. However, the lesson to gain from this is, if you're going to order a present from Amazon, order well in advance.

(I'm still pleased that Amazon bought Beedle the Bard, and not some Millionaire from Dubai, who would put it into a safe and never look at it!)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 12:36:00 GMT
Opsimath says:
I wasn't saying you're wrong to moan about bad service, just that I think it's a bit harsh to begrudge the children it has gone to.

Nonetheless, I really hope your daughter's next birthday is much more of a success, and you don't have any more problems with Amazon / parcelforce in the future. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 14:06:43 GMT
GS says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 14:40:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2007 14:42:03 GMT
Hilda Gannon says:
I think some folks are mis-using this thread as an attempt to VENT against poor delivery practices, etc. employed by Amazon. YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!!!! The question was.... Wouldn't you rather Amazon spent it elsewhere? So you are saying Amazon should spend £1.9 million getting their package delivery service in "working order" rather than give to to an incredibly worthwhile charity, from which many, many disadvantaged, forgotten children will benefit. While I understand your frustration at the non-arrival of your daughter's birthday gift, there is ALWAYS an inherent risk of non-delivery when you buy online or where delivery is by courier/mail.

Have a heart C. Stewart, remove the blinkers and see the wonderful good that this purchase will do, and address your grievances with Amazon in the appropriate manner, i.e., directly with Amazon and in the feedback we are all, as Amazon purchasers, encouraged to leave.

I'm so looking forward to reading the reviews and maybe even eventually seeing a copy. I say well done Amazon!

Merry Christmas all!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 16:55:01 GMT
Damaskcat says:
Exactly - I agree. Delayed parcels are hardly a matter of life and death whereas starving or badly treated children could be. I think Amazon as a company should be free to spend their money where they want - they're only answerable to shareholders for what they do with their money.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 17:15:13 GMT
We all buy from Amazon because they are the largest, most-trusted and one of the cheapest internet retailers. I also have suffered in recent times from their new delivery contracts, but this is beside the point I think. The Harry Potter series is the most successful of all time and has been very good to Amazon. Therefore, they may wish to do this as a thank you to Ms Rowling and all her fans. If it wasn't for Amazon, the fans might never get to know the details of this book. Lastly, the money goes to a worthwhile charity, which none of us should grumble about.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 22:36:19 GMT
M. Nelson says:
Its amazons money theres to do what they will with and at least its going to charity, and talking courier services, all everything I've ever got from amazon has had really fast delivery, normally before the estimated delivery date, even when its free. Faster and Cheaper than anywhere else I've ever ordered from. However when I'm ordering anything for an event such as a birthday I always order everything in plenty of time, I never leave anything until the last minute.......

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2007 22:53:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2007 22:54:19 GMT
i totally agree that Amazon have done a brilliant thing to raise so much money for Charity!!!WELL DONE AMAZON!!!
And unfortunatly if you do not order your things in time them its your own tough luck, really!!You'll know better next time!!!
And if you dont like the service TELL THEM NOT US.WE DONT CARE!!!
And there is no reason to use your childs disability as a sympathy thing as its YOUR fault if you didnt order it in time. and your child was dissapointed about not getting a present!!!what about all those children dissapointed about not having food, water, clothing, parents???
Some people are so self centred its unbelievable!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 00:14:53 GMT
Jim says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 01:03:40 GMT
S. Hibberd says:
Come again?? How is giving all that money to a children's charity lame? How often do you see big businesses nowadays doing that?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 06:41:48 GMT
I am truly sorry your daughter's birthday was spoilt, regardless of her needs. It's alwazys a shame when someone's special day does not go as planned.
However, I can only speak as I find. I've never had a problem with Amazon's delivery at all and I ordered most of my study books from them. If I were to order for a special event, I would rather order early and have the gift stored at home for a few weeks or whatever than risk it being late.
I do agree it's a huge amount of money but I'm so glad that 1) the money is going to a very worthwhile cause and 2) that we get to have a peek at the book too.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 07:31:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2007 07:31:50 GMT
E. Machin says:
I'm happy for Amazon to give large sums to worthy charities and I too have suffered from poor delivery standards. However to put it into perspective. Parcelnet use self-employed part-time couriers that deliver using their own vehicle at their expense and are paid 50 pence per delivery!

What would you do for 50 pence?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 09:09:56 GMT
This isn't about a courier service.... Amazon have spent money on a book and the proceeds go to a children's charity. Yes Amazon will make money from this as any business would expect to. The point some seem to be missing is that there are a lot of children who will benefit from this too. I think that is great. If you have a beef with Amazon and don't like the service they give then you can always choose to shop elsewhere. It is a shame about your daughters birthday but having at least one loving parent who was in a position to do whatever they could to make up for it on the day means your daughter is a very lucky girl (this assumes you didn't just sit around cursing Amazon all day). I suspect the kids this money will help are a lot less fortunate.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 09:35:07 GMT
A. D. Holmes says:
To those who have been given much, much will be demanded. Whether Amazon spends 1.95 million on the book is neither here nor there in the great scheme of things. If Amazon have bought this as simply a commercial venture and will now seek to exploit it for monetry gain for their shareholders or stock holders then one can only shake ones head in sorrow. IF however, Amazon were now to offer the book for auction and help JK Rowling's or some other children's charity, perhaps not to the same extent, then praise God some good will come of the transaction. With great wealth comes great responsibility, lets see if Amazon exercise a profit based, or social based future with this acquisition.

What pressure there must be on the six other owners of these books, knowing they are worth nearly 2 million pounds each!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 10:10:07 GMT
Mofomaxx says:
Never had any problems with Amazon personally, though i would suggest going to the shops IN PERSON is the best way to not spoil your daughters birthday, instead of blaiming ANY mail order company....

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 10:15:57 GMT
I thought the discussion was about Amazon purchasing Tales of Beedle the Bard? I have used Amazon for more years than I care to remember and only had one problem that was partly my fault, it was quickly resolved. Back to the topic. I think it is a wonderful gift to all of Amazons customers. Harry Potter is a national treasure and this unique gift is to be shared by millions of people that would never have seen it in a private collection. Amazon can gift the world by publishing each page on the internet and allowing adults and children to share in something we thought was finished- further adventures from the magical world of JK.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2007 10:32:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2007 10:32:27 GMT
Surely it's up to Amazon what they spend their money on? It's not like they're funded from the public purse! If people don't like the service, there's a simple solution - shop elsewhere.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  15 Dec 2007
Latest post:  30 Jan 2008