Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

In all honesty, what do people think of JKR as a writer, (not a person)?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-41 of 41 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 Feb 2008 19:48:08 GMT
L. Ford says:
I agree entirely with Janet Higgins, and to be honest, i dont see why it matters so much how fantastic a writer she is when she manages to capture the imagination of so many children (and adults alike) in britain and other countries all over the world. There are so many young harry potter fans that are unlikely to have taken up avid reading if it werent for harry potter.

I am prepared to admit that the first book of the series was indeed her weakest and written in childish mind, however even this seems to be captivating and from here on in the series only improves.

For this i think she can be applauded, rather than talked down about, and in my mind she is a genius for creating such a spellbinding and all together magical series of books that appeal to people of all ages, all over the world.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2008 11:32:30 GMT
I agree, she has captured the imagination of so many people and I believe she is a truly great writer. Her characters are fascinating. There are some I like and some I quite dislike, none of the are stereotypes and they are all fascinating I would love her to write more books as I feel she has a lot to offer with her boundless imagination and capacity for hard work.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2008 01:17:58 GMT
To be honest, I have never read any of JKR's books! However, I have seen all of the HP Films with my grandchildren, and we loved them. Her stories are hugely imaginative and intelligent - even for us older fogies! For me, though, JKR's appeal is that she has come up with stories that have got hundreds of thousands of children picking up a book - some maybe for the first time, out of school - just for the sheer joy of it. Given that there are only 7 HP novels, at least some of the fanatical HP fans are going be lusting for more, even after the HP's have run out. That will then lead them to other writers and other genres, as the children and their own characters grow. So, regardless of Ms. Rowlings skills as a writer, I hope she can see the sheer scale of her achievement in that she has planted all of these little literary acorns all over the world that may, otherwise, have fallen on far more stony ground - move over XBox!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Mar 2008 15:00:32 GMT
Gordon Evans says:
I'm not keen at all and I've read all but half of one of them!
Her work suffers from over padding which should have been edited out particularly in the last book.
Very good plots and characterisation, but she has a very 'clunky' style of writing which to me detracts from potentially good stories.
Perhaps 250,000,000 proves me wrong!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2008 09:39:30 GMT
J. Nathan says:
I suspect that some of those who denigrate JK Rowling's work have failed to make the breakthrough into selling their work and are jealous of her success. Whether you think she is a good writer technically or not very subjective, just the same as what makes good art.

Whatever the answer to the question, her great achievement is getting children to read who would not normally have chosen to pick up a book and to keep on reading. She's been the instrument of a whole world of choices for children who have potential but didn't realise it before. Once you can read, you can do anything.

Good marketing? Yes, with with a great boost for children's reading.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 17:20:07 GMT
I couldn't agree more with every word you've said. I too was very upset when I discovered that there would be no more books. In fact my original set is getting a bit 'the worse for wear' as they have been read so often (particularily the earlier ones 'cos I've had them the longest!!) so I might have to persuade someone to buy me a new set for next Christmas - if I can wait that long!!!!!!!!!! I'm 50 years young but still enjoy books that work my imagination, and J.K.Rowlings do it so well.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2008 14:41:44 BDT
F. Boakes says:
I agree, J.K.Rowling is as great as are her characters in the books. Carry on J.K.R. lets see what Harry and the reas get up afterwards.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2008 17:33:14 BDT
V. Robinson says:
She's a fantastic author clearly by the sheer amount of books she sells. If you go on Fan Fiction.net there are over 350,000 fan fictions, she has inspired thousands of people of all ages and nationalities to write and read other fictions.

There is also the other fact that this was aimed at all ages and sexes, quite a few book series have been aimed at just boys, such as Artemis Fowl books, which I love but the reviews all say that this is perfect for boys, as if girls aren't reading them.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008 22:28:14 BDT
74pj says:
Well, she can put together a decent plot but the writing style does leave a lot to be desired. An enjoyable enough read, but when all's said and done, these are childrens books. She has done awfully well for herself though hasn't she??!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2008 18:59:15 BDT
I know a lot of people are critical of JKR as an author but I'm a school librarian and remember clearly the beginnings of the Potter phenomenon. There was no huge publicity machine cranking up from Bloomsbury, instead excitement about the books spread from reader to reader by word of mouth (the best recommendations, in my opinion). I bought no.1 because a fellow librarian told me about it, read it and was certain that this was a special book, one that would capture the imagination of children for generations to come. As soon as it went on the shelves, and was quickly whisked off again, it was obvious that young teenagers loved Harry Potter and the standard - and the enthusiasm - has been maintained.
I think she is a great writer: she attracts both girl and boy readers (and adults too); she persuades even reluctant readers to stay with her over several hundred pages; she has a quirky use of language which makes reading her to others a pleasure too. I look forward to seeing what she produces next. I've heard all sorts of books predicted: adult crime fiction, graphic novels, more children's fiction. All I can say is that she is so obviously a born writer that I don't believe she will be able to resist writing and I'm sure she will continue to excite readers for a long time to come.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2008 20:41:37 BDT
G. Budd says:
JK Rowling is a brilliant writer in that she has the most brilliant ideas, yes, and a beauitful and intricate imagination. In terms of communicating these, however, JK Rowling can lack a flowing writing technique and her writing itself is, occasionally, flawed. In comparison to many of today's modern authors - Ian Mccewan, Anita Brookner - her writing leaves much to be desired.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2008 08:04:12 BDT
Well Rebecca, as I don't know Ms Rowling personally, I can only give you my opinion of her as a writer. In all honesty, I think she is sensational. I have trouble believing that all the stories she has written to date, came from her amazingly vivid imagination. Why wasn't I given such a gift! This woman is so talented she will probably frighten the bejesus out of anyone starting out as a fantasy writer! I mean, how do you follow that?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2008 16:48:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2008 16:54:42 BDT
Myfanwy says:
Matthew. I find it amusing reading your first line. I always thought that 'pail' was another word for a bucket!
As a book reader of nearly fifty years I have read many different styles of writing and have come to the conclusion that if I enjoy what I'm reading then the rest doesn't matter. I bought the first book as soon as it was on the shelf as I had heard her interview on the radio before it was released. The book was being compared to the Famous Five and Just William series. Since I had enjoyed both of these in my own youth, and had a son aged eight, I bought the book hoping to get my son interested. I read the first few pages myself and was hooked on knowing what happened to the characters. So as far as I'm concerned she gave me, as well as millions of others, a lot of pleasure following Harry Potter through his teenage years.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Aug 2008 19:04:25 BDT
Good Evans! says:
Although the stories are page-turners for some children, she is not a very good writer (this is probably evidenced by the number of rejections she got from publishers before getting lucky!). Where she succeeded was in writing characters that we actually cared about, which was one of the reasons for the vast number of volumes that were sold. However, the writing would have been improved if there had been much tighter editing, cutting the wood away to reveal the gems. The last three books were very self-indulgent... she had written so many pages and we were going to get them all, regardless of the fact that the reading of them was quite tedious because they did not progress the story, but swamped it in trivialities... the Order of the Phoenix suffered very badly in this respect. Starting the first book in Privet Drive was fine, but repeating it again and again in following volumes was lazy. However, this did mean that the start of the Goblet of Fire was very dynamic with its sinister murder. The final volume was quite a let down; it was basically a who's who of previous characters, a long, tedious camping trip and was rather predictable. JK can write action rather well, the final battles in each book are very compelling, but all too brief in comparison to the rest of the meanderings. The who-ended-up-with-whom at the end of the 7th volume should have been cut completely since all that was necessary could have been conveyed in a touch or glance by the relevant characters. Therefore, in my opinion, she really is a poor writer, but I read the books anyway, to see who died!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2008 12:34:55 BDT
Becky says:
JK is a fantasic writer. She has a way of writing her books that draw anyone who reads them in.
Although i have to admit i am biased as i am a huge Harry Potter fan, and consequently just ordered a standered copy of the tales of Beedle the Bard, but in all honesty i love how she writes, no book has ever made me cry before and when i read the order of the phoenix, i could not stop myself.
Anyone who says that Jk has no talent or people only like her because she gives to charity and all that have clearly never read a sentance of her work, for instance my best friend couldn't understand the fuss, untill i forced her to read the first book and i dont think she has ever put it down!
Also the fact of what kind of person she is, is irrelivant, its Harry Potter your reading about and not JK!!
As soon as each book came out i was the first in the shop!! she has a amazing imagination, she created a whole other world hidden in the pages of her books, and i can not wait untill i can read the tales of Beedle the Bard!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2008 14:26:00 GMT
L. Cook says:
To all those who are saying that they have read most of the books, and then bad mouthing them, i have one question.

Why are you still reading them then??

Jk is a captivating and extreamly imaginative author who has captured the hearts of millions of adults and children all over the world.

I did find the first two books worse than the rest of them, but how you can possibly say that the series got worse as it went on i have no idea.

PS and CoS weren't as well written, but at that stage she was still writing for a child audience, i dont think anyone expected the books to capture adults too.

And to complain about the plot lines in this thred is rediculas, in my opinion, the story line has nothing to do with how well the books are written.

I ADORE the Harry Potter Series and look forward to seeing what the future holds.

x
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  39
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  4 Jan 2008
Latest post:  17 Nov 2008