Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Is no one even slightly disturbed that Amazon has paid a million pounds for this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 125 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Dec 2007 04:10:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2007 16:36:23 GMT
Joshua Yates says:
I know it's for charity, but what is Amazon planning to do with the book? Perhaps they could resell it for £0.08 with £1,949,992 postage?

Update: Thanks for correcting me that I should have really written '£2 million'; guess I still fall for the £999.99 trick after all my maths education! To make it clear - I don't actually have any particuarly strong views this subject (I wanted to get other people's), the only thing that slightly 'disturbs' me is the implication that this object is 'worth' that amount of money, not that Amazon donated it to charity!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 05:20:45 GMT
Cofactor says:
Why should anyone be disturbed by this? Isn't she the first billionaire author? Hasn't she got loads of children to read in this computer game age? Hasn't she saved the British film industry? Isn't she hot too? Everyone knew, before the sale that the books must be worth this sort of money. Just deal with it. Steve Mclaren got more for less. I'm going to pick it up for less with other buying choices.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 05:29:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2007 01:42:04 GMT
Guy Rogers says:
Kudos for Amazon buying this, at least people will be able to see pictures of it and maybe excerpts, it's not going to gather dust in a private collection.

Odds on a Kindle only version being made available ? I'd like to know who has the other 6 copies though.

Edit - The 2 million is going to a childrens charity, I'm sure they are very grateful for that amount of money.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 05:57:20 GMT
Orion says:
The only people able to bid to this kind of price are the banks or big business, or the very rich usually as an investment, and it would be put in a vault unread, and only brought out to be sold when the marketable value has increased. At least this way we can get a review of the stories, and the fact that the money goes to worthwhile charity is a bonus.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 06:46:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Dec 2007 00:26:46 GMT
Well, they can't publish any of it. It does seem a shame that something so personal has gone to a company. But where's the controversy in how much they paid?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:10:22 GMT
i totally agree - that is insane money - and its basically 2 million not 1!!
how can anyone justify that for a single book - i dont care who wrote it! or how
it aint worth that.

and just how am i sposed to read it!!!? huh?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:11:29 GMT
They say their planning to take it on tour around libraries and places like that to let kids get a first hand look at the book. Its probably better than some private collector snatching it up and the book disappearing from sight forevermore.

I hope she decided to release a normal print version at some point. Preferably with her illustrations scanned in. I would buy it in a heartbeat. That hand written volume would still remain uninque since I doubt the print version would have silver mountings and moonstones, or be so expensively bound.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:20:39 GMT
Dee07 says:
NO... I think its fine if it is ALL going to charity. JKR does so much good for people in need - this is just another thing she has done and she and amazon should be commended for it.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:28:54 GMT
Skip says:
Perhaps Amazon should just have donated £2 million's worth of books to schools. It would have been much more effective in my view.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:34:22 GMT
Human nature aint it? Charity should be for charitys sake alone, but most people want credit for what they do. JK Rowling wrote the book with the intentions of giving the profits to charity (which makes her look good), Amazon bought the book (which makes them look good) and the cash goes to a needy charity for kids.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:38:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2007 09:39:27 GMT
Rearda says:
Amazon have bought this book for the publicity value; but the million pounds will go towards helping children who spend their entire lives in cage beds, without love or stimulation of any kind - let alone a book! There's a link on JKR's official website that describes this vile practice, which she is determined should be stamped out. £2m books to schools would enhance childrens' learning experience; but this donation to the cage beds campaign will do far more.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:42:44 GMT
I think it's fine. They muct have made at least that from Harry Potter. Plus who over 12 really cares?!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:48:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2007 11:46:47 GMT
As Cofactor say's,

Why should anyone be disturbed by the price payed? Who cares how much money Ms Rowling has? As far as I a concerned she EARNED it!

Anyway...

As for how much Amazon paid for the book...

Wasn't the book AUCTIONED? Surley Amazon paid the least that they could get away with! Amazon is, after all, a business! No blame will be aimed at the company from me (£1.95 Million is a HUGE amount of money to pay for a book!!)

The fact they saved the book from ending up in a private collection (as mentioned by several other contributor's!), decided to post images of the book, post images of various pages, AND they intend to allow fans to view said book when it is on tour, speaks of the reason that £1.95 MILLION was paid for the book. They should NOT be criticised for how much was paid, rather they should be acclaimed for putting so much money towards the PUBLIC GOOD (do any of you know someone that would have purchased the book AND then shown it on a public tour? I certainly don't!)! Even if Amazon use the 'public showing' as a marketing strategy, who could blame them? They did, after all, pay a huge (maybe even 'improbably' huge!) amount of money for the book!

Also I DO NOT think JK Rowling even considered that someone (even a business), would pay such an extravagant amount of money for a book, even if it was a spin-off from Harry Potter (which some-other people have suggested: - I don't necessarily agree!).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:58:44 GMT
becphil says:
I'm not disturbed in the least. I don't have shares in Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 09:59:03 GMT
Certainly not disturbed about it, so what if they paid £20 would anyone complain. Basically they've got a highly collectable book and made a £2M charity donation, Good for them.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:10:26 GMT
It is worth whatever he or she wishes to pay for it, simple as that, also not forgetting that it is in aid of a wonderful cause. And I for one think JK is absolutely brilliant. As is Amazon, otherwise us mere mortals would not have had a glimpse of it.
Well done to all.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:18:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Dec 2007 10:29:10 GMT
Zin says:
If you heard Amazon / JK Rowling had given 2 million directly to charity you wouldn't complain would you?

This is exactly the same thing, and how many private collectors would put it on show for everyone to see like Amazon have?

Also, yes it would help to donate the 2 million to books for schools, but as has been said above, the charity that the money is going to is an extremely worthy cause.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:30:37 GMT
P. Baker says:
I think it is brilliant! I am glad that a book such as this is int he public domain and we don't have to wait 200 years for it to be popular and shut away somwhere. Well done to JK for the hard work in hand writting in this day and age and well done to Amazon for allowing us to see it (bit by bit) and giving money to charity.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:36:16 GMT
Skeadugenga says:
I'm fine with Amazon using the profits they've made from me and the rest of their customers to pay almost 2m to a worthwhile charity, I can think of a lot of worse things. As others have said, its going to at least make the book semi-public, rather than locked away as an investment for someone who only cares about money.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:37:59 GMT
V. Stansall says:
Yeah I completely agree - I read in the newspaper today that it had been bought on behalf of a private buyer and I was devastated that I (and other Potter fans) wouldn't be able to see what's inside it, how it looks or the plot of the other fairytales and now it has been bought by one of the biggest literary companies of this day and age and they're willing to share it with us, not to mention the good that all that money will do to the children. I think it's great.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 10:39:56 GMT
I agree with all you say and after seeing those horrible institutions in Europe thank god for JK Rowling.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 11:01:44 GMT
Kali says:
How on earth does this affect any of us? Us mere mortals who don't earn MILLIONS couldn't even get a snifter at this book, I'm a great believer in letting the rich and stupid get on with their rich and stupid lives and me getting on with my hard day to day living which does not include worring about a Billionaire writer who may or may not be doing good things for charity, if she is, wonderful, if she isn't, well it sure as heck makes no difference to me that is for sure! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 11:17:02 GMT
Lisa says:
Not at all. I wouldn't have got the great bargains if it wasn't for amazon. Besides, the money is for charity. Good on em' I say!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 11:20:09 GMT
R. Wood says:
Morons. Could you donate £2m to a worthwhile charity? No. Could Amazon? Well, it's a company, so it's only going to do it if it can see some return on investment - and for charity donations that normally means publicity. So, Amazon gets to put some of the money that YOU have given it, into a really worthwhile childrens charity - what's your problem? Isn't it a good thing to see big companies supporting worthwhile charities? Do you people have to complain about everything? Anyway - you can bet your backside that the stories will be made available to the public in future, probably with all proceeds going to charity, as the precedent has been set for this story to be one to benefit children. So cheer up, thank JKR for getting the world reading again, thank Amazon for trying to give something back, and chill out.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007 11:23:53 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  109
Total posts:  125
Initial post:  14 Dec 2007
Latest post:  16 Jun 2009