Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Subscribe and Save Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

JK rowling is a poor excuse for a writter!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Posted on 14 Jan 2012 15:44:30 GMT
Rowling is an imaginative writer who has the ability to create new, exciting worlds. Is she a good/great/best writer? No. Her use of prose and description is poor at times ('Snape said SILKILY), and her vocab' leaves a lot to be desired ('his only chance was to keep hold of Quirrell, keep him in enough pain to stop him DOING a curse.')

Rowling - as deserved - has many fans who adore the characters, worlds and story she has created. This sometimes, however, makes people blind to her faults as a writer.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 21:18:28 GMT
Big Neilly says:
Children do what they like doing. And they do it lots! If a child were to enjoy reading (the author should not matter here) then they should be encouraged to do so. Let them use their own imaginations rather than that of a computer game designer!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 21:14:55 GMT
Big Neilly says:
I couldn't agree more. I'm 34 and must confess to being a late starter when it came to Harry Potter. I've only recently finished reading "Deathly Hallows" and think that her story telling is fantastic - she really manages to stir the imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2008 03:45:17 GMT
C. Buckley says:
We live in a democracy with freedom of speech so if he/she says "J.K. Rowling is a poor excuse for a writter", so what. They probably only said that to get some attention anyway, and if everybody had exactly the same taste it would be a pretty boring world!

I have never read a Harry Potter book myself, but millions of people buy them, so they must be pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2008 12:36:57 GMT
SJS says:
How can DM Webster comment that their views are objective - surely by stating their views on which books he/she has enjoyed then the comments are subjective. If one were looking at this on an objective basis then surely personal preferences would not be included.

JK Rowling is obviously a successful writer. That point cannot be argued.

Whether she is a good one is a matter of personal taste.

To criticise her for the fact that her books are successul and have "monopolised" reading is crass. She has probably introduced more young readers to fiction than any other recent author and this has resulted in children looking at other authors.

The fact that other authors may or may not enjoy equivalent success or may not enjoy similar marketing is again irrelevant. One can enjoy a book whether or not it is "marketed" by Amazon and to make the point DM Webster is confusing writing success with writing ability.

Again one can be a good storyteller without necessarilly having good literary skills and one doesn't have to have a first class (hons) degree in English to be an accomplished writer.

Time will tell whether JK Rowling is a good writer.

As to the 11 year old having read the book 21 times - so what!! It sounds like a tabloid newspapers article and whilst there may be some children like that I'm sure the majority have managed to find other books. Rather than worrying about the fact that some 11 year olds have read the book 21 times (and by implication again criticising the author) perhaps the opportunity should be taken to encourage children to widen their list of authors.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 11:26:40 BDT
A. C. Yung says:
'JK rowling is a poor excuse for a writter! ' This is the original post by G. J. Phipp
Take note of punctuation and spelling errors. I think it is unfair for someone who obviously hasn't read her books to post comments like that.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2008 11:21:53 BDT
A. C. Yung says:
Very true! She is probably one of the authors who has revived interest in reading for all ages alike all over the world. Try reading one of her books, you won't be able to put it down and eventually, you(G. J. Phipp) might learn to spell properly!!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2008 19:03:48 BDT
J.k rowling is one of the best author whose books have inspired thousands of children to read I really think you are the minority or only person who thinks the way you do

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 12:46:17 BDT
Sara says:
Mr Webster I do not agree. Children are not stupid, if they are bored stiff by a book they will not read it. Adults, you could argue, are more likely to read a book because they feel due to marketing that they should. However, I'd like to think I am neither stupid, nor heavily affected by marketing, and I love the whole series.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 12:44:16 BDT
Sara says:
Hear, hear!!! :o)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2008 12:43:01 BDT
Sara says:
"I don't care what you all think. As far as I am concerned, J.K.Rowling is a good writter."

Is that tongue in cheek? Or can't you spell either?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2008 12:55:40 BDT
T. Counley says:
Hi
I was introduced to Harry Potter by my grandaughter; she constantly spoke of the books and implored me to read them too so that I knew what she was talking about. I decided to borrow "The Philosophers Stone" just to satisfy her but I was hooked from the very first page. I am 70 years old and although an avid reader, until this moment had only read reference/technical books. I can't argue, for this reason, as to whether or not Rowling is a 'good' writer of childrens books but I can say that to me she was the be all and end all of writers; she took me into a world of magic I had never dreamed of. Rowlings talent, I would venture to say is beyond doubt, her insight into how children behave is nothing less than wonderous and the humor cannot be faulted. So, in response to your post; firstly, given that over a million copies of Deathly Hallows was sold within an hour of the release time, I would suggest you revise ...'lots of people' to read almost everyone would disagree with you. Secondly, how can you claim that Rowlings books would limit children's reading? Surely they would encourage them to seek out more books to excite them, and as for who purchased the book, it doesn't really matter, it was bought to be read. Thirdly I doubt if Rowling was responsible for the 'aggressive marketing' as you put it, that would be the responsibility of the marketing department of the publishers, don't you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2008 22:25:18 BDT
I bought the first book because I was running a book club at school I also bought some Anne Fine Books, Jeramey Strong, Jacqueline Wilson and the Lemony Snicket stories I read the first Harry Potter book and was gripped by the storyline which inspired me to read all the other books my daughter is 12 years old and loves books she reads all the above authors and many more and has enjoyed them all for the storylines not because of the marketing you could say that the marketing works only on the first story if people don't enjoy the first book they wouldn't be inclined to read any further stories by that author. I don't think you argument has a leg to stand on there

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2008 21:56:56 BDT
I take your point on the hype that is behind Harry Potter, but as a mother of four (with varying abilities), I would make this point. The first HP book came out when my boys were 7, 5 & 3. I read it aloud to them, as obviously it was above my youngest ability, and my 5 year old had dyslexia tendancies and was struggling with reading. Quite apart from the benefits of sitting as family sharing a book, they were hooked, not just on Harry Potter, but on the adventure that is found in every book. While we were waiting for the next HP book, I fed them all sorts of other authors - Dahl, Fine, Morpurgo, Pulman, you name it, they tried it and each found their favourite style of writer themselves. When our daughter was four, (in time for book 5) the boys decided we had to start HP all over again so she could catch up. Far from limiting their experience of books and authors, it fired their imagination to the point where I could hardly keep up with the demand for books. This must be the same experience for many families - Rowling appeals to all ages and this has to be good. To hear siblings saying to each other ' you have to read this!' is brilliant.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2008 11:42:39 BDT
woofwoof09 says:
I agree.
Whether she is a great writer or not will never, and can never, be agreed on - it is a matter of personal taste and opinion. If some people think she can't write to save her life, so be it. If others are eternally grateful to her for introducing them to reading (and, who knows - maybe writing as well?) then that's fine as well. Read what you enjoy to read, and don't worry if other people scorn it - whether you are reading works by Rowling, or by Austen, if it means that you're reading what you like, and are encouraged to read further, then that's great!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2008 00:54:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Sep 2008 01:12:32 BDT
StannyUK says:
Im a 28 year old married man. I was never interested in the Potter books but saw the films. Decided one day whilst bored to buy the first 2 and got through those in just over a day. Only one other book has made me cry but the final chapters of Deathly Hallows achieved that.

I dont have kids yet but I will be reading these to them when they are of a suitable age. I think to compare Rowling to "The Classics" is pointless and personally to me just pompous. I always had a higher reading age than my class but I was given comics instead of sweets as a youngster and grew up on a diet of superheros. No it isnt going to stand the test of time but yes it got me interested in reading.

To compare anything by Shakespeare or a Bronte to the universe of Harry Potter just baffles me.
From what I remember of GCSE English (and Im probably wrong) Shakespeare didnt receive true success until after his death.
I personally have never read any of the classics except books by HG Wells or Tolkien but thats because I dont wish to read about men of stature who are rogues deep down seducing women in days gone by. Does that mean Im a philistine? No.

It would be similar to comparing Take That to Mozart. Both are capable of envoking emotion in different people but come from very different times.

Whether Harry Potter will last forever like Dickens is unknown but here and now her work has encouraged kids to put down the gamepad and let THEIR brain put a universe together in their head, not on a screen.

If we all liked the same thing then the world would be a boring place with Radio 4 on every station. Just look at the fact that Katie "Jordan" Price is considered a successful writer. She appeals to her audience and is successful. Im never going to go near one of her books because her life/subject matter doesnt interest me. But if she encourages some celebrity obsessed teen girls to read then I guess she is serving a purpose (and increasing her bank balance).

Maybe some of you just shouldnt take life so seriously and not worry about what other people read/watch at the cinema or see on tv. If your happy being into only classical pieces of work then good for you. Let the rest of us slip into our cloaks (mines a Slytherin) and hightail it to Hogwarts :)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2008 15:49:24 BDT
Dante says:
JK Rowling is certainly a fantastic story teller, and saleswoman. She has managed to have the books made into highly successful films, and created an entire merchanidse industry from the books she has written. And, at the same time, she has brought joy to a many generations of children, who have grown into adults, and still enjoyed the stories. She is to be congratulated for this.

Does this mean she is a "great writer" however? I am not so sure. Anyone who has read older fantasy stories, such as the original Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Pratchett, Hyborian Tales etc, will tell you that many of the ideas in the Potter books are lifted directly from these older (and more successful) books. The writing style is often amature and jumbled, and at times Rowling appears to confuse herself and spend too long at random tangents. She also brings in elements from other Media, movies and television shows, and so her novels, when read by someone who has studied the genre, can be seen to be a "Mashup" of previous stories and tales.
This would lead the reader to see her not as a "great writer" but a "weaver of tales". A highly successful one, indeed. But, being successful, and appealing to children from a young age as they grow, make you a great writer it does not.

Compare her books to that of the real greats, Shakespeare, Keats, Burroughs and Byron. You will see that in comparison, she is a young amatuer. She may grow over time, but she is not there yet.

However, whether she is regarded as one of the "greats" or not, this will never (nor should it) change the joy and excitment she brings to those who enjoy her tales. Beauty, it is said, is in the eye of the beholder.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2008 12:49:58 BDT
Squirrel says:
do Philip Ridley, Anne Fine or Brian Selznick have lego figures or video games based on their books? Do any of them have multimillion pound films produced every two years or so? Yes there is a lot of Harry Potter merchandise hence the link to the Harry Potter section of this website, does that distract from the millions of people around the world who have fallen in love with reading thanks to J.K Rowling? No!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2008 23:22:52 BDT
Normally I would feel it unneccessary to reply to discussions however this was has amused me highly and I feel I might as well put my two penneth into the argument.

I have been an avid reader from a very young age. I am twenty three now and there are two series of books which barely stay on my shelves. The Harry Potter collection and The Lord of the rings (and the Hobbit). I can almost agree with some people who dislike JKRowling's writing style. Initially her books started off quite simplistic and inexperienced however as the characters have developed so has Jo's writing and I feel that children can benefit from these books and develop their reading skills.

These books are made for light entertainment nothing more and if it does get children reading other books because of it then i think JKRowling is a great success. Considering her books are on the banned books list alongside some of the great literary classics - there must be something she is doing right.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2008 01:37:46 BDT
Juggles says:
I personally agree with DM Webster

The Harry Potter books are in our faces too much and although they have made many people take up reading, reading only Harry Potter is not good enough (I know that many people branch out afterwards but many more don't).

In response to the person saying it doesn't matter about the publising or marketing of the book, aslong as we enjoy the book it doesn't matter; that is just ignorance.

And finally, just responding to the actual topic of the chatroom of how bad a writer is JK: why did she get refused by so many publishers before bloomsbury accepted her?

I personally love the story of the books but dont think that her writing skill itself is that outstanding.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2008 17:25:57 BDT
J. Blackler says:
I began reading Harry Potter when I was 11 years old (i'm now 21) Before Harry Potter I was an avid reader of C.S Lewis, Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and many more. With reference to your implications that the success of JK Rowlings work is due to her publicity, can the same then be said for the Narnia series (now major motion pictures) or of Phillip Pullmans Northern lights (now a major motion picture as the Golden Compass)? You may not have realised but all these books have been re-released and have been at the top of book charts....and have been subject to much publicity! It is publicity that leads to the awareness of brilliant literature whether new or old. JK Rowlings success is due to her incredible imagination and although her writing style may not be up to the grade of some one with "a first clas (hons) English degree" she has brought more to the table than writers have for a long time. She got a country reading and captured for over a decade.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jul 2008 23:28:46 BDT
T. Watchman says:
im only 12 but im turning thirteen in about 6 days [whooop] but still we may be kids/teens but we still know good things when they are there i may be young but it doesnt mean we're stupid you may hate the first one but i loved it because its got so much imagination and about 90% of population love her books so if you dont like her books dont comment on these i may be a kid but i know my stuff and im pretty sure every one else does and these books have actually inspired some of my friends to take up literature and me also i have read all the hp books i hav about 50 times each but i dont care what any one else thinks!

if you think she is such a bad writer write your OWN book see hoe good that comes out see if your book is as popular see if it attracts so many chldrens&adults minds that they read them over 10 times each you have a try yuor critsicing her when you dont know her [not saying i do] but still you cant criticise some one if you dont know them PROPERLY not just by knowing who they are you may hate the 1st 4th and the 5th but if you hadnt realised it is only 2 people here who dont like her
really i feel sorry for you jk rowling is a FANTASTIC writer shes so imaginative and half the time if you read them properly and actually i dunno Read The Book properly if you carry on reading all her books you can create a little world in your head where it all seems real [i know its not but still] i man i am a kid talking but still my 21 year-old step brother Loves those books and he was the one who got me reading them if you actually understood half of it you would know how good she is and there is also a garantee you would acually lik ALL of her books i know thats hard to beleive well for you anyways but it still could be true couldnt it

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2008 17:47:05 BDT
I had to read this post by the person who could not even spell writer.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2008 13:50:51 BDT
i'm sorry to sound stupid but isnt the topic about discussion? and i assume the person who started this doesnt think she's very good, yet everyone else thinks she is brilliant, so what exactly is the point in trying to sway us fans with your knowledge of sale figures and literature techniques when actually nobody cares about anything other than the storyline and that its very good?! people here obviously like her and im inclined to agree with A. Harris in that she really got a lot of people into reading and why is that so bad!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2008 20:05:36 BDT
A. Harris says:
I am also thirteen years old (using my mum's account) i have always loved reading and when i was seven years old i got the first book for my birthday it took me a while to get into it my mum read the first one to me. I used to read all sorts of books before. I still read other books but i have now read the Harry Potter series at least fifteen times (not an exaggeration) i am now a harry potter fanatic and personally think J.K.Rowling has made many people (adults and children) read more and use imagination more. Harry Potter is set in a complete (unfortunately) non-exist world which means for anybody to enjoy the book there imagination must be used. If you don't enjoy J.K.Rowling's Harry Potter then that's fine but to say that J.K.Rowling is a poor writer is a false statement as many people on this thread think judging to their post's. J.K.Rowling has changed the way many people think about reading so i say well done on creating books that people all over the world can enjoy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  10 Mar 2008
Latest post:  14 Jan 2012