Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

JK rowling is a poor excuse for a writter!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Mar 2008 17:36:38 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Aug 2008 16:59:07 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2008 17:56:51 GMT
F. Chiorando says:
ah yes, says the person who cannot even spell writer.
She is a fantastic story teller, encouraging millions of children, and even adults to read. Even if you don't enjoy her style, you must appreciate ahe has paved the way for many people who previously did not enjoy to read. All I can say is that I enjoyed Harry Potter enormously, I am now 22, and I don't care if anyone wants to think less of me. Try and enjoy yourself...you might be surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2008 19:02:51 GMT
J. Nathan says:
So says someone who can't spell writer, and doesn't know how to use capital letters and punctuation (that means full stops, commas, e.t.c.).

As a 65 year-old retired teacher, my opinion is that she's a masterful and imaginative storyteller, who engages both children and adults. Children who were reluctant to read are now doing so eagerly. The stories also encourage imagination in fields other than reading and writing such as in art and play. Scenes from the stories can help to make maths and science interesting.

She's the best author to published a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2008 20:23:15 GMT
J. Butler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2008 21:19:25 GMT
S J Hollis says:
Wow, see the irony, folks.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2008 11:45:38 GMT
C. J. Nadin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2008 13:44:30 GMT
Exiled Gull says:
The spelling in the title to this thread is wrong, for those who are missing something. writter and writer. Some people don't really read what is there, only what they think is there.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Mar 2008 10:38:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Mar 2008 10:39:32 GMT
Why exactly do you say this? (This is for G.J.Phipp.)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2008 15:28:27 GMT
D.L.H says:
Im sorry but I personally think J.K.Rowling is one of the best writers there is.
Im 13 years old and i never used to read at all until i started reading harry potter. Now i cant put them down. I have read the whole series and am reading them again a second time.
I think you are the only person who thinks that she is a poor writer because look at all the responses saying that she is an excellent writer.
(for G.J.Phipp)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 17:08:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2008 17:11:07 GMT
I am a 50 year old mother of two who first came into contact with J.K.Rowling and 'Harry Potter' when I started buying the books for my slightly dyslexic son. Since then he has grown up and I'm sorry to say out of Harry Potter, but I have NOT!!!!! I have always read a lot - from the Brontes to Dan Brown and all sorts in between - and I find the Harry Potter books absolutely fascinating, there is so much detail in them that I usually find something that I hadn't noticed before and even though I've read them all several times, I always go back and start again. I say ''3 cheers for J.K.Rowling'' she's helped to make fiction fun again for all ages. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2008 01:22:12 GMT
I AGREE WITH ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS ON HERE JK ROWLING IS BRILLIANT,I'M 23 AND I LOVE ALL THE HARRY POTTER BOOK'S THERE BRILLIANT :-) .
PEOPLE THINK I'M SAD BUT WHO CARES

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2008 23:06:05 GMT
Magic Jem says:
J.K Rowling is a great writer. When I began reading the Harry Potter books I was the same age as Harry, Hermione and Ron, but even though the books began taking longer and longer to appear I am still reading them aged 21. I think I will appreciate the books for a long time to come - the characters are compelling and the plots imaginative. They even encouraged my little sister who struggles a great deal with any sort of reading to give them a try. Any book that encourages people across the generations to read is a positive addition to literature!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008 15:45:32 GMT
Kate says:
J.K Rowling is a great author, I have read her series 21 times and I'm still not bored of it!!!! You discover something new every time and the surprises never stop surprising you. By the time I was seven I had read all the Harry Potter books that were out, and thats the truth!!! (I'm 11 now).

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008 01:51:42 GMT
What does one person know, millions of peaple have enjoyed Harry potter. J.K. Rowling has done a graet job, Books are for everyone to read and enjoy and if you cant accept that then lump it!.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008 08:28:16 GMT
DM Webster says:
I think you're all missing the point here. It doesn't matter whether she is a good or a bad writer (personally I think its the latter but can appreciate that there are lots who would disagree). What is more worrying is the way that the agressive marketing of her books has limited some children's reading. Who buys most books for children? I'd argue its their parents, grandparents etc. They may not know other 'good' children's authors so will pick what they've heard about. JK Rowling's popularity is not necessarily down to her talent- its down to how well she has promoted her books.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008 11:28:45 GMT
K. Walker says:
I cannot understand why you feel the need to criticise someone who has so obviously promoted reading for all ages. It is a shame that you did not enjoy her work but millions have ! Someone is not a bad writer just because you didnt like it. Good luck to anyone who has the imagination to write. I dont beleive we should have a go at people who are talented and brave enough to have a go. Well done JK Rowling i enjoyed the books enormously !

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008 15:21:39 GMT
DM Webster says:
I didn't say she was a bad writer- I'm merely saying that there are plenty of other authors out there who could be equally enjoyable but who don't get a chance because the marketing teams for JK monopolizes the bookshops. Just look at the top of this page- there's a link to a whole section on Amazon containing Harry Potter stuff. Do you see that for Michael Morpurgo, Philip Ridley, Anne Fine, Brian Selznick...? What's even more worrying is that some 11 year olds (see earlier post) have read Harry Potter 21 times. Does this mean that they are reading nothing else?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008 19:04:01 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Apr 2008 14:22:41 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2008 08:44:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2008 09:14:06 BDT
DM Webster says:
Excuse me. Please keep on topic. Besides, isn't the job of this discussion board to allow people to give their opinions? If you bothered to read what I have written I have no interest in whether she is a good or bad writer as it is all a matter of personal taste. If you'd like my opinion about the books themselves, I hated the first one, liked the second, loved the third, hated the fourth, disliked the fifth and haven't read the others so I think I'm in a relatively good position to speak objectively about the majority of the series. Those people who comment only on other posters' comments with no reference to JK Rowling have no place in in this discussion board! What I am saying is that rather than widening readers experience of books she has restricted the reading opportunies of people by being agressively marketed to the exclusion of others. This is not her fault and I have no complaint with her as a person.

(Minor point for pedants: I have a first class (hons) English degree and have taught children caught up in this JK Rowling media circus for 11 years, most of whom have the books on their desks but never touch them let alone open them. In case you don't understand common punctuation usage, hyphen use has no hard and fast rules and can be use to ease reading in any form. Ellipsis are used for omission which in my sentence (which is a question) refers to all the authors who are eclipsed by Rowling.) If you need to check sources check any good dictionary with a guide to current punctuation usage.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2008 10:59:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2008 11:01:58 BDT
Maxidad says:
Ummm sorry to be a pedant. But in respect of J. Nathan's post at the top of this thread, I think it is incorrect to put full stops between the e, t and c of etc. (Thought that I'd just point that out for the "irony value".)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2008 00:14:44 BDT
TAMxx says:
I see DM Webster's point, one which I never really thought about now that I think about it. I did notice the random link to a Harry Potter section - I'm assuming that's because they bought the Beadle and Bard book..?

I guess people's opinion differentiates on what make a good writer - is it the plot, style etc? I have moments with Rowling's work there are some parts of her books that bug me because of their style and re-reading the first book I realised how her language and style developed, maybe since the audience opened up to include adults and the readers themselves were growing up alongside Harry?

The one thing I like in the books the most is the enthusiasm she has for the world she writes about. It comes through in the text and the care she takes, at least for me anyway. Personally, I don't think any of the movies live up to how vividly I imagine each scene and character.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008 21:38:26 BDT
I grew up with the Harry Potter books, I have always been a big reader and while some people may think the books aren't that great (and everyone is entitled to their opinion) I don't think those people paid them enough attention. J.K. Rowling has a wonderful writing style and she has inspired more children to read. Plus she made herself filthy rich so I doubt she cares what an idiot that can't spell writer thinks.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2008 02:42:43 BDT
jillet says:
I don't care what you all think. As far as I am concerned, J.K.Rowling is a good writter.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2008 10:24:25 BDT
I thought the same as F. Chiorando, as someone who cannot spell such a simple word as writer, they should not be so vocal as to be so critical of someone who has so much talent, every child in Britain has benefitted from the Harry Potter series, its brought a bit of old time back into this digital world of ours. I am 40 and love the Harry Potter books, my mother is 70 this year and has also read all the books. There are not many authors out there that can successfully captivated such a wide audience, and captivated is the ultimate word to being completely lost in a book.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2008 10:35:24 BDT
but she's still more successful than you
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  10 Mar 2008
Latest post:  14 Jan 2012