Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Imagination versus Education.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2008 11:27:51 BDT
jimjamstew says:
There really is no 'original' story. There is a theory that there are only 7 different types of plot in all of literature...what makes them different is the way in which they are told. Rowling's skill lies in imagining a different way to tell the story of a young boy that is raised away from his natural family, suffers abuse, comes into his inheritance and becomes the hero. There are thousands of stories like this throughout history. Don't worry about copying stories - just find a way of telling them differently. If Rowling's stories are guilty of anything, it's the need for tighter editing - the longer books written after her initial success appear to have been allowed to ramble by editors unwilling to say 'No - it would be better this way'...I may be wrong!

What Rowling (and all other writers) should be applauded for is actually getting the story written in the first place. Writers, great and not so great, simply write. That's the hardest part - sitting down and writing. Then they read it, and re-write it. That's the next hardest part. Then they give it to someone else to read in order to find out what else needs to be changed. That's the next hardest part. Then you have to let the public read it and comment on it...actually THAT'S the hardest part!

So my advice to you, Harry Potter fan, is to forget about Harry Potter, find your story, find your 'voice' and write...even if only for the sheer pleasure you get from it yourself.

Good Luck

J

Initial post: 25 Apr 2008 08:16:32 BDT
Are great writers born or are they the product of a good education?
I've had a fairly good education and I've been told I have a vivid imagination but no matter how many times I've tried to write even a short book, I find myself copying others. Why can't I think of an original storyline? I seem to be locked into other people's imaginary tales. JK Rowling is a phenomenon. I mean, how do you follow an act like that?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  25 Apr 2008
Latest post:  12 Jun 2008