Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more
Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Has anyone who read JK Rowling ever read classic literature?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 128 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2010 23:06:34 BDT
J. Vickers says:
Yes, I have read the classics; I especially love Dracula.
I also think that you're a bit of an idiot. Would you like to know why?

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that J.K knows what 'skilful' and 'demented' mean, because I'm sure I've seen her use those words in interviews and in the books.

Secondly, your comment of her having a 'lack of imagination', is also inane (now do you know what that means?) She evidently does have an imagination, let me give you some examples, the Room of Requirements, Quidditch, moving staircases, moving pictures/talking portraits, the dozens of spells, the descriptions of places like shell cottage and the Ministry of Magic, etc. Does this sound like someone who has a lack of imagination to you? If it does, then you either haven't read the book properly or read it at all, OR, and get this one, it's a personal favourite of mine, you HAVE read it, but because you are so determined to hate it, you haven't given it a chance. I know people can be like that, because I have a friend who is, she doesn't like anything that everyone else likes and she never even gives it a chance.

Also, in regards to your comment of `simplicity', the books are in some ways, `simple', but look at the age group that the books are actually aimed at, 6 to about 12. I know people over those ages read them, but that is because they are good. Simple isn't always a bad thing, it's punchy and to the point.

Now you also said `stupidity'. Let me point something out. You are stupid. Filch's first name is not `Argos', it's `Argus'. So therefore, it is not a reference to the store. It's more likely a reference to one of the Argus's from Greek Mythology. There are lots, Argus the son of Zeus, Argus the builder of the ship Argo in the tale of the Argonauts, Argus the son of Chalciope and Phrixus, Argus, the son of Phineus (which is the name of one the old headmasters of Hogwarts) and Danae, there is also one more which I think Filch if probably the reference to. That is Argus Panoptes, a giant with a hundred eyes. Yes, Filch may not be a giant, but he does see everything thing the students do, with his own eyes and his cat's.

My point is that whatever reference J.K. uses, it's a clever one, usually associated with astrology or mythology, for example, Bellatrix (star), Narcissa (based on the greek myth of Narcissus), Sirius and Regulus (stars), etc.

You also seem to think that referencing and being influenced by another author or in fact anything at all (films, etc), is a bad thing. But I'll think you'll find that most classical authors are influenced by and make reference to others work and things in general. For example, Stoker makes reference and builds up ideas about Dracula's psychological state by referring to the work of different psychiatrists. Also, other children's authors do the same thing today, Lemony Snicket, the Baudelaire's name is a direct reference to the French poet Charles Baudelaire, and Mr Poe is a reference to Edgar Allen Poe. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is also directly influenced by John Milton's Paradise Lost.

My final point to make, is that you don't seem to appreciate others opinions very much. Your comment is rather insulting (which is why I have replied the way I have, usually I am very polite, but you deserve to be spoken to in this manner). Especially when you say `I pity you, and laugh at you'. I think that you should be more considerate when you post a comment like this, because you just make yourself look like a moron.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008 21:45:12 GMT
actually you would b suprised i grew up with tales of harry potter, but also shakespeare, mary shelley edgar alan poe, charles dickens ndmany more, the art of a good author is to take their reader into another world, one in which they create, the effectiveness of that depends hghly on detail and believability, at the end of the day just because an author writes about something that isnt real it doesnt mean they cant make it believeable. authors such as mary shelley and bram stoker etc were authors of the best at their time and i believe j k rowling is one of the best in her time. j.r.tolkein for intance brought to life the lord of the rings which then became popular films. j k rowling is very dedicated to detail down to drawing sketches of the doorway to diagon alley etc its such small details that make reading harry potter an adventure, reading his tales growing up i felt like i was growing up with him and many of the issues he has are part of daily life and being taken into that world of magic whether true or not is a dream she created that and that is why i feel that she is an acomplished writer. charmaine age 20

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2008 12:49:13 GMT
L. Sidwell says:
Wow. Thats a pretty long and descriptive post! I really felt the need to comment on it. I have read many classics (although I believe that who decides what is a classic is dependable on the person alone) during my school years and in recent years, but I cam considered a 'reader' and enjoy a wide variety of books. I do however have many friends and relatives that couldnt even tell you what Pride and Prejudice is even about let alone have read it! many of them are interested in Harry Potter though and through reading these fantastic imaginative books they have taken to enjoying reading and looking at more of the 'so-called' classics.

I really do think that JK Rowling deserves every bit of praise for making a generation of children (I say children because lets not forget that is who she originally wrote for) get off their computer games and other modern entertainment and actually read a book, and lets face it, The Order of the Phoenix is no mean feat to read if you are not naturally inclined to read a book.

In short, yes I do believe that the books are completley brilliant and the perfect way to escape the stress of real life for a while. She is a wonderful writer and I look forward to reading The Tales of the Beedle Bard.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2008 14:58:54 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Dec 2008 15:04:57 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2008 10:40:03 GMT
Well said, Moorcock in the 70's had a similar but darker style. i think this young person would be the type who would be fine in local government. they have a tendency to want to ban things they dont agree with. remember all the countries who 'burn books' because they do not agree with what is written. Authors write books for people to enjoy not to struggle with. Rowling obviously filled a much needed gap in the literary market which other authors did not, hence, why she is so popular!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2008 00:23:22 GMT
Your anger runs deep indeed and you're old before your time. But then you didn't have to read her books if you thought they were so rubbish. That is if you have read them properly?
I like some classic literature. But then I also like fantasy, sci/fi, horror and murder mystery - If the characters are believable and the story fires the imagination. And while Rowling may not have the prettiest writing style, she has created a wonderful world.
It is a shame that you can't feel the magic. Reading doesn't have to be serious or mundane, or a pretence to show off how clever you are. Reading is about escaping reality and briefly living a different life.
But your opinion is your own and you're the one missing out. Next time don't read a book if you don't like the first chapter...Simple.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2008 16:02:02 GMT
SJS says:
God save us from people who've read a "classic" and believe this gives them the right to ridicule someone who has entertained us. You seem to have no understanding that literature can be enjoyable without necessarily being a literary masterpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2008 01:12:48 GMT
RJDROBERTSON says:
whether you are vexed or not, you should think twice, before your ego takes control of your senses.
You sicken me. I lost interest in your point of view long before the end of your spiel.
God help you in the real world.
There is no point in me saying anymore to you, you wouldn't listen.
Bear in mind though, you have sickened another human being with your lofty but oh so low attitude.
Smartypants.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2008 15:12:09 GMT
i totally agree. my son at aged 7 would never read unless forced to. then i bought in Happy Potter and The Philosphers Stone and he loved it then and still does now. he is 19 a fit active - highly intelligent soldier currently serving in Afghanistan.
His sister and I at age 51 still re read all the Harry Potter books.
We know they can't compare JK Rowling to Thackerey or Dickens but only a spotty geek of a 14 year old with no life outside his XBox would.
Come on JK - gives us more.

Phil

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2008 08:53:25 GMT
J. Wareing says:
How pompous of you to presume that people cannot enjoy Rowling's work after reading classic literature. Perhaps people enjoy Rowling as her work is a book that can be used in a classroom to teach the basics of competent writing for the purpose of the audience, as well as taking it on the beach to read as a casual easy read! I'm a primary school teacher of thirty and Rowling has encouraged more children to read than Stoker or Dickens has a t a primary school age, so well done to her.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2008 13:05:30 GMT
Matt Collins says:
sort it out you muppet

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 23:07:39 GMT
Cheese Hall says:
Hello A Townsend I think you are taking your literature too seriously. Reading is about enjoyment and the choice of book, article, poem etc doesn't matter. If at the end of the journey the reader has enjoyed the experience then this is all that matters. I have read many classics which I have thoroughly enjoyed and many lowbrow novels that only require half my attention which I also enjoyed. Intelligence is about enjoying and feeling comfortable with your choices, not being concerned about the opinion of others regarding your reading list or how they might judge your book shelf. Enjoy life, don't be hindered by negative feelings.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2008 15:01:25 BDT
Dear Master Townsend,

I think you are rather pompous.

Like many people who have responded to your provocative, derogatory and defamatory comments, I too felt piqued.

I have read books by all the authors you mentioned, and many more beside.

And you know what? I believe the Harry Potter books tell a story as great as anything I've read. Don't forget that is the reason why most people read fiction - to enjoy a good story.

You should also remember that fiction is an entirely subjective enterprise; people have different tastes. So please don't preach - you're not old enough!

I think you should grow up.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2008 08:22:37 BDT
"Have you ever read Dickens, Poe, Shelley, Stoker.........?"
Well....I have read Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Cicero, Milton, .........and I still enjoy Harry Potter books.

By the way, the name is ArgUs Filtch, Argus was the son of Zeus and Niobe.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2008 17:31:52 BDT
TechGuy says:
Oh dear. Right, let me reply to your questions and comments:

"Have you ever read Dickens, Poe, Shelley, Stoker, Austen, or Everett [...]"
-> Yes, and lots more at Uni studying English/American/Scottish/Post Colonial literature.

" [...] and still thought of Rowling as a skillful writer?"
-> Yes. Absolutely.

"I am sure if you have ever read any author listed above you too will see that Mrs. Rowling does not deserve to be famous for her writing at all."
-> See? You're wrong. I think she does. Who do you think you are to assume we all think and feel like you?

"She uses words such as put-outer, and all the creatures in her book are from mythology"
-> And your point is? Before you accuse her of 'recycling' other works, read up on 'Venus & Adonis', among other works, and check where that material came from. Maybe the author's name rings a bell.

"[...] before saying that Rowling is the best author to have lived."
-> For some people she is. It's called personal preference. If you knew anything about literature at all, you would know that it always comes down to this. So, it looks like you don't. You're trying hard to make us believe you do, though, I grant you that, but it's still pathetic.

"Besides Rowling we have many better authors for children in the 21st century. For people under my age of fourteen, you have Lemony Snicket, Terry Pratchet etc."
-> Who are you to say who's better? They are different, that's all. Again, if you knew anything about literature...

"I am sure most of the words I have used above would both frighten and confuse Rowling [...]"
-> Don't give yourself so much credit. If she read you text, she'd probably have a chuckle, at best, followed by a click on the 'close' button.

"I have read Harry Potter, and am more than vexed by its simplicity, stupidity, and lack of imagination."
-> So? This is interesting because.....?

"I pity you, and laugh at you."
-> The feeling is mutual.

"[...] comparing Dr Seuss to her would count as an honour to this woman [...]"
-> No, it's a silly comparison because it makes no sense. It's like comparing macaroni cheese with hiking.

"Do you not think that without the movies, without peer pressure and `going with the flow', and with more intellectuals, Rowling would still be sitting in cafes writing on napkins?"
-> Considering she wrote most of the books before the films, I'd say 'no'.

"And can you not see where all her ideas come from? [...]"
-> Wow, I'm impressed, Sherlock. *yawn* You still don't present any kind of reason why that supposedly devaluates her works. Oh wait, it doesn't.

"[...] yet so as not to bore you [...]"
Not at all, it's always fun watching people embarrass themselves.

So, my friend, I suggest you don't follow what people tell you are 'the classics'. Have your own opinion and, while you're at it: get out of your black& white world. I know it's hard and takes courage, but I believe in you. Get them, tiger!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2008 16:29:57 BDT
Ana C. Silva says:
First of all, some credentials: I'm a Portuguese woman with a degree on Modern Languages and Literatures, specialized in German and English. Which means, "proper" literature books are the things I studied in depth. I could give out a list of close to 100 "proper" classical literature books I had to read and analyze throughout my years as a student. Furthermore, I am addicted to printed paper and I hold a collection of well over 5000 books, which is slowly decreasing because I'm running out of the room at the house and have to give them away. Of course, since I keep buying more, it tends to increase rather than decrease, but I digress. I am a great fan of Terry Pratchett and Tolkien and anything that's fantastical and I regularly find new writers to be a fan of.

I think that this allows me to give you a mildly educated answer to your post.

Yes. I read all sorts of classic literature.

Yes. I read the entire Harry Potter series. And yes, I loved it. There were times where the story was predictable, or where the actions of the character made me roll my eyes, the ending was all but perfect, but it was what a book should be: entertaining. I would take the book and I would read like crazy and I would find myself forgetting time because I just wanted to turn "one more page."

Ms. Rowling is not a master writer in the sense that she writes beautifully, or with elegance, or is an artisan of the written word -- but she can tell a lovely story, that is engaging and compelling and people fall in love with the world she tells us about. And curiously, I have found the tendency of writers who can't really write well (in the sense of the usage of the word, not related to the stories themselves) a frequent phenomenon in writers who compensate their less than stellar usage of the style by giving us wonderful stories and worlds. Tolkien was another example. Terry Pratchett ditto (yes, I love Terry Pratchett, even if the man at times seem to be addicted to run-on sentences) -- Rowling another.

For meatier metaphor, think of books as pie: a nicely presented pie with a hearty filling is what we all want, but failing that, what would you rather eat - a lovely decorated pie, looking all perfect and golden but when you dig in all you find is tasteless crust, more crust and even more crust, to the point where you're choking on the crust and can't find the filling -- or a pie who looked like someone sat on it, half crushed and with filling pouring out, but when you dig in, you taste that delicious, hot, sweet and perfectly made filling that makes you want to eat more and more and more?

We all love nice pies with nicer fillings, but I know I prefer an ugly pie with a tasty inside to something that's only pretty and feels like you're chewing on rubber.

Which is to say, I rather be reading Rowling any day of the week to any of those stuffy "Word Artisans" so many "proper scholars" love.

Now, it's perfectly alright not to like Rowling. It's a matter of taste and I can respect someone who comes out and says "It just doesn't cut it for me. I don't like the world, I don't like the theme, I don't like the characters". But saying "I don't like her books because she's a bad writer" is something that just doesn't convince me -- it comes across as people being afraid of being judged by their peers by their tastes, so instead they seek refuge in "literary" worth. Terry Pratchett is sitting in the same boat as Rowling, because he can't write either. But he's so damn fun I don't care.

Also, concerning your arguments of lacking originality, I think I should point out that the Argos stores actually ripped off the "Argos" of mythology, the creature with 100 eyes, who never slept. I think that details like names aren't very important because it's hard to find names for a few dozen characters. Rowling borrowed heavily from greek\roman mythology for names (Minerva, Hermione, Argos, etc.), which frankly I find nothing wrong with. Now, if you claimed the plot was borrowed from someone else, or if the characters were blatant rip-offs from other characters, now then claims of "lack of originality" could stand and actually be grounds to dislike her work.

Nothing wrong with not liking Rowling. It's a matter of taste, and I'm fairly sure people won't chase you with pitchforks if you don't like her. However, I feel it's a little harsh to accuse everyone who likes her work to be "going with the flow". Some of us actually like her because she works entertaining books, and at times, that's all we want, style be damned.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Aug 2008 22:36:18 BDT
Do you mean Mary Shelly or Percy?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2008 18:42:20 BDT
kittiwake says:
A Townsend - your snobby and patronising argument about good literature is blown apart by your incorrect spelling! It is actually 'skilful'!

I have read most of the above authors and, yes, have also really enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Something that can get people reading so avidly is great, and as J K Rowling's grammar is excellent that can only be a good example as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2008 19:15:43 BDT
Wow, what a load of ridicule you've brought on yourself! I, like many of the people on this 'discussion' have A level English Lit and a combined honours degree in Music and English Literature. I have also taught English alongside my main subject of Music since I started teaching in 1997.
Before the advent of this Anti-Christ who disguises herself as J K Rowling, not many students I taught read anything outside the classroom - then when the first book came out, lots of school-children - of both sexes were raving about the books and quite happy to discuss the stories and characters in class - book-reading was no longer the province of the 'Boffins' (I'm assuming you would fit into this character?!?). I've also had 'races' with students as to how far they are in the book(s).
I have, of course, read the 'classics' over the years - both as part of my studies and as a teacher but not normally for pleasure. After reading 'Tess of the D'Ubervilles' et al, when someone mentions a 'Classic Book', it puts me in mind of terminal hours at school, college and university ploughing through texts and looking at 'the hidden meaning of the colour red...' etc. Why does one read? To make out that they're better than you or (my reason) to escape into a world and enjoy that time which would otherwise be spent atrophying my brain watching TV or playing on a games console.
If you are so well read and so well educated at the age of fourteen, I am sure you are also an accomplished musician and can draw parallels between literature and music? No? Oh well....
There's a band called 'Snow Patrol'. A song of theirs is 'Chasing Cars'. This song is based on three chords (very much like 12 bar blues which was the advent of pop music) which repeat throughout the song and is very simple - does that mean the song is not worth listening to? I personally think it's a very good song and have enjoyed listening to it and playing it with a band - does that make me simple too?
To draw another parallel, there was a composer called Franz Schubert who is rightfully acknowledged as one of the best composers of the German art of Lieder (songs). He wrote quite a number of his songs whilst sitting in restaurants/bars/pubs on napkins and tablecloths - does this devalue his work? Homer's Iliad and Odyssey were never written down by the poet but survived as a vocal tradition - does this devalue those two great classics?
You say: 'And so on, yet so as not to bore you I will not make my list go farther.' Or to exhibit your ignorance to all and sundry? Your question was: Has anyone who read JK Rowling ever read classic literature? - then launched a personal attack on her - one day, when you grow up and lose the chip on your shoulder, you will hopefully be able to look back at this and feel just a little embarrassed and sheepish.
Along the same lines: Has anyone who's listening to 'Pop' music (this means any music which was not written for popular culture as opposed to Art music - today's equivalent being Film Music), ever bothered to listen to the classics (the broad generic term for art music composed from the middle ages to present day)?
If you haven't then......blah blah blah.....'composer' at the moment.
Now who was it that tried to censor what people read? Think he burnt quite a lot of books too - take that as a precedent - discuss the issue, don't make personal attacks on the author/artist/composer based on ignorance and inexperience.

Go away for a while, get some life experience, learn humility and discuss this face-to-face with one of your teachers at school - they might be able to crack open your very narrow mind and burst your bubble of pomposity and superciliousness. I think I just made that word up - oops! (But as we are all aware, the English Language is a living language and changes constantly with new terms being added all the time - I like the putter-outer - does exactly what it says on the tin!
Tarquin Flanagan

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2008 12:05:46 BDT
lily dowell says:
you are correct when you state their are other writers famous for writing novels suitable for children but J k Rowling is the only one that has appealed to the current thinking of children today and actually encouraged them to read. so well done J K Rowling and as a grandmother i find it lovely being able to read and keep in touch with my grandchildren by knowing what they are talking about. i enjoy her writing, and yes i do read the classics's i have just finished a Greek tragedy by Euripides and if that was all that children could read they would all be illiterate.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 19:12:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Aug 2008 19:14:05 BDT
I never read any "classical writers" and mostly the last many years I've read very little.
I'm reading again, 2 books of Hellgate London, a Alias book and a Mass Effect book.
And just because they are Sci-Fi (Alias is spy/action) it doesn't mean they !@#$.
I used to read mostly WW2 books like Journey_Through_the_Night and a few others from high ranked Dutch writers.

I have read a few HP's. I will read them someday I suppose but I will order this one (C.E. so I had to be quick) but I won't think omg she is the best writer and all the classical ones [CENSORED] etc.
Even if I would think it it would be my choice.
People grow up differently, like different styles etc.
I pity you that you need to laugh at others who have an opinion.
Sure some people read 1 book and shout something but if you jump on everything every single person says you'll be busy a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 15:19:32 BDT
I think that you are being very narrow minded. I am 20 years old and have read many classic books and thoroughly enjoyed them. In the same respect I throughly enjoy the Harry Potter series and have read them numerous times. I think J K Rowling is fully deserving of all that she has achieved because she has produced a truly great piece of work and quite frankly I am sick of people like you saying that she is undeserving!! I would like to see you do any better!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 12:11:09 BDT
Donal says:
Who cares if Rowling isn't the most technically gifted author! Technical ability doesn't mean anything.

Books are about telling stories, creating new worlds, possibilities, fantasy and escapism. The beauty of the Harry Potter series is that they are accessible for everyone. The young to the very old can read, enjoy and understand.

The story is about what we all aspire to in life; people putting aside their differences and working together for the greater good, so that we're all free to love in peace and harmony. It has been told many times, in many different ways and will continue to be told in the future. But there won't be many who capture the imagination as Rowling did. It's also very likely that 100yrs down the line people will still be reading this and it will be considered a classic. There will still be some people who don't like it, but the majority of people will continue to fall in love with it.

In regards to Rowlings technical ability. Let the historians judge and make comment on that, it means nothing either way. Rowling is still relatively young as a writer and one would assume she has many years of writing left. When she's finished, the experts can look back, disect all her books, looking for evidence of this and that and will come to whatever conclusions they come to. That's what they do. Unfortunately for them, not many people will read what they say or get much enjoyment out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2008 00:57:13 BDT
Molmai says:
A simple answer to your question: Yes.

I am very widely read in all of the classics and enjoy them very much. I also enjoy the Harry Potter books too. I find your message albeit well intended/or not? both extremely amusing and a tad irksome.
If you were an adult it could be considered at the least mindly insulting, if not 'yob' like in its intonation thus by default the type of stereotype behaviour of this modern age (but then I do not 'do' stereotypes and believe in individuality). The immaturity of your posting was clarified, when I noted you are only14 years old. At that tender age I would suggest it is far, far too early to get vexed over books :-) Time enough for that when you join the real adult world with its real problems. Apologies if that sounds a little patronising - it is NOT meant to be.

Your points have some validity though, as no doubt adults around you have stated. You might not find the books enjoyable - and you are entitled to your own opinions on that. However could I suggest you try not to insult the many many intelligent, academic intellectual, worldly experienced people (old folks/adults) that do enjoy the books. (What must you think of all those poor 'inferior' - by your message inference-beings worldwide that the books are aimed at - i.e. children!!!).

J K Rowling may not be the best 'writer' in comparison to other earlier 'classic' authors. However she should not be condemned because she is succesful, and for the majority of her 'target' audience, the fact that she uses some classical sources for characters and mythological creatures can only encourage learning in those areas too.
She uses her extreme wealth to help these poor unfortunates who would love to be in a position to be able to read a book - of any description - let alone make a comment online about it. I suggest you visit her website to see the charities and the absolute appalling conditions that the funds raised fromt this new book, will attempt to alleviate with regards to those children. Lets be thankful that children in the UK, like you are able to have your own 'voice' and wouldn't it be great if many more are able to have 'their voice' worldwide directly as a result of J K Rowlings work.

Although I am not a child educationalist or teacher, I am surrounded by my family who are. I therefore have to agree with other postings here that JK Rowling has been extremely influential in introducing literature to children who would not normally for a huge variety of reasons, pick up a book to read. You are very lucky that you obviously are in a home were reading is encouraged and education is important.

Thanks for your posting though it has opened a debate of sorts

Best wishes

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2008 11:15:52 BDT
R. West says:
I am a 20yr old university student and i have read all of the above authors that you deem to be more skilful than J.K.Rowling and i LOVE the Harry Potter series! I was 9 or 10 when the first book came out and i was captivated. I had many books before Harry potter but it is this one that i credit with really fueling my love of literature and i think the same goes for many poeple. At 14 you sound very bitter about harry potter and being quite eloquent i think you should put your writing to better use than ranting on the internet about an author you do not like. To condemn a book simply because you do not connect with it is ignorant, and many poeple will clash with you while you are unwilling to accept other points of view. You will come across much literature you do not like but that does not take away any value it has to those who appreciate it. The authors you cite are excellent writers and i have had the pleasure of studying their work and many other pieces of classic literature in detail, but i can still say that they take nothing away from the magic of the world Rowling has created.

For me part of the Harry potter magic is that i have grown up with this book. I can remember waiting to buy my copies and dicussing for months before each book was released what the pages held in store for me and my friends. In a way Harry potter defines my childhood and i will defend it to the last. I feel that my childhood ended with the last book, even though i was 19. I have grown up with Harry and the series will always have a place in my heart for that reason. I suggest you take a look at the wining entry for the beedle and the bard competition:

Rhiannon D., age 16, Australia

When I was six, he was eleven
I learnt how to be brave.

When I was seven, he was twelve
I learnt to misbehave.

When I was eight, he was thirteen
He taught me how to cry.

When I was nine, he was fourteen
He showed me how to try.

When I was twelve, and he fifteen
He taught me to forgive.

When we were fourteen and sixteen
I learnt what it was to live.

When we were fifteen and seventeen
He showed me he could bleed.

But growing up with Harry taught me, mostly, how to read.

I think that the reason this won is because this young woman capured the magic that is the Harry Potter series, we have grown up with it. My childhood will always be coloured by these novels as half my childhood was spent reading them.

I am proud to be doing English literature at university and i have no shame in saying that my favourite literature includes Lord Byron, John Keats, Shakespeare, Paradise Lost, The Little White Horse, Oscar Wilde, but above all J.K.Rowling and Harry Potter!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  115
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  12 Feb 2008
Latest post:  13 Aug 2010