Baby Changing Essentials
Jump to products
In their first two years your child will need somewhere around 7000 nappy changes, so it's important for you to be organised and well-prepared! If you want to save time on stocking up, find out more about Subscribe & Save. Here's the low-down on changing essentials and accessories to help you keep your baby's bottom clean:
• The most obvious thing you'll need is nappies. Disposable nappies come in sizes 1 to 6 for most manufacturers, with size 1 fitting most newborns. If you're expecting, make sure you have some size 1 nappies in stock before the big day, but don't buy too many in case your baby quickly grows out of them. Different manufacturers size their nappies slightly differently so check the weight recommendation when switching brands. Reusable nappies are increasingly popular. You'll need liners as well as cloth nappies.
• Many parents use baby wipes to clean their baby. Others choose to use cooled, boiled water and reusable wipes or cotton wool. A top and tail bowl is useful for this.
• Think about what you're going to do with the dirty nappies. Sealing them in nappy sacks and throwing them straight in the bin is one option. If that's not practical, have a look at nappy disposal systems and refills.
• You'll probably also want to stock up on nappy cream.
• You may choose to buy a dedicated changing table, or change your baby on the floor on a changing mat. Wriggly and older babies are safer changed on the floor. Never leave your baby unattended on a changing table.
• Now for the fun stuff. A changing bag is a practical and essential item for most parents. It's also a way to personalise your baby kit and treat yourself to a bit of luxury. Depending on your lifestyle, a changing backpack might suit you better.
• When you lay your baby down for a change, you need to have everything right where you need it. A nappy change organiser is a handy way to keep everything in one place and can be an attractive addition to the nursery. If you haven't got much room, you could hang a pretty nappy stacker on the wall next to your changing area.
Check out all our nappy changing essentials and accessories below.