Profile for M. Brookes > Reviews

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Mission To Mars
Mission To Mars

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent sci-fi with some interesting ideas, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mission To Mars (DVD)
I only vaguely remember watching this when it was first released and I seem to remember it coming out around the sametime as a Val Kilmer film set on Mars and this being watchable where Val Kilmer's was a bit rubbish. Anyway I decided to give this another viewing and I'm pleased I did. This is a decent sci-fi story with some interesting ideas. The effects are a little dated, but do their job. It's a slow burner with most of the film covering the journey to Mars.

The realisation of the astronauts life in space was well done and it doesn't shy away from a little danger, although it's done in a more restrained way than say, Gravity. Things get going once they reach Mars. The cast are all known actors and do a decent job with their roles. A fun film and well worth a rewatch.

Whisper (Whisper Trilogy Book 1)
Whisper (Whisper Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid supernatural horror, 21 Sept. 2014
This book is a decent take on the haunted/possessed house story. A young couple move into an old house with a dark atmosphere and an even darker atmosphere. The overall idea might be a familiar one but there enough twists to make it its own. I especially enjoyed the association with other members of the community, although I would have liked to see this aspect developed more.

The book is very well written and does a good job of the mounting darkness and insanity. However there are a couple of points that detracted from this for me. The first, as already mentioned, is that the tale is for the most part a familiar one. It was easy to anticipate most of the plot before it evolved. Although there are some well placed moments in there which counter this.

My other big issue was the two main characters - the husband and wife. They are a mercurial pair and some of the sudden changes in their behaviour seemed odd. They also make some of the common mistakes that characters in horror situations seem to make. I would also have liked to see a few of the secondary characters brought to life a bit more.

Those two issues aside this is a solid horror read. It builds on atmosphere rather than gore - which is always appreciated. It's well paced and has some genuinely spooky moments. A worthy read if you're a fan of supernatural horror.

Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Star Maker (S.F. MASTERWORKS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Staggering scope and imagination, 14 Sept. 2014
After reading and thoroughly enjoying Last and First Men I had to read this other rated classic by Olaf Stapledon and I was not disappointed. If the scope of the first book was staggering then this book blows that away by several orders of magnitude. In this book he turns away from the history (both past and yet to come) of the human race and examines the possibilities for life on first an interstellar, then galactic and finally on a universal scale.

On scope and imagination alone this is a fascinating read, but delving deeper there are some brilliant ideas which kept me glued to the pages. Unfortunately it's not an easy read. While it does contain the character of the narrator and encounters with other individuals this isn't story that simply follows the events of the plot. This is more an exploration of ideas, although I would say that it's a little less dry than the author's earlier work.

It suffers from a few other issues. The most obvious is the gulf of understanding that has changed since this book was written. Some of the science is very outdated (as you would expect) and while it is noticeable it doesn't undermine the scope of thought the book invokes. Although I did find the repeated assertions that something was beyond human understanding a little tiresome.

Another issue for me was the last section. I'm actually in conflicted opinion about this section as it stands very different from the bulk of the book. On one hand it's an excellent modern (ish!) take on Paradise Lost (which is my favourite story of all time) while on the other the nature of the Star Maker is at odds with the more scientific leanings of the earlier chapters.

It's a difficult book to rate as I can see why people would struggle with it. However based on the ideas that it inspired in me while I was reading and the outstanding journey it took me on I would say that this easily deserves its classic status. It's one not just for science fiction fans but anyone that holds an interest in life and its place in the universe.

Neverwhere
Neverwhere

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dark fantasy, 11 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Neverwhere (Kindle Edition)
I remembered this being one of my favourite Gaiman's books but I enjoyed re-reading it even more than the memory of it. American Gods is still my favourite book of his but Neverwhere is a close second. It's an imaginative dark fantasy and I love the world of London below and the fantastical connections with the famous landmarks of London.

The story is a basic quest but it's the characters and the setting that elevates it. I liked the two assassins most of all - there's some twisted humour in their conversations. The central character provides a nice juxtaposition from the weirdness going on around him.

Story is king and that is as it should be. However Gaiman's prose in places is a joy to read. If you're a Gaiman fan then you've probably already read this - if you haven't then you're in for a treat. If you're new to his work then this is an excellent place to start.

American Mary
American Mary

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick body horror, 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: American Mary (Blu-ray)
I enjoyed this a lot. It's an interesting horror about a student surgeon who becomes involved in the body modification scene. Naturally there's more to it than that - the girl knows how to hold a grudge and extract some payback. It's well played and filmed the only weak point for me was the ending. It seemed to step a beat before the final scene, but apart from that it's a tremendous watch.

DRABBLES 'N' SHORTS
DRABBLES 'N' SHORTS

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine collection of drabbles and short stories, 4 Sept. 2014
As everyone who knows me will testify I am a huge fan of drabbles. If you've never encountered drabbles before then they are stories that are exactly 100 words longs - not including the title. I'm familiar with the author's dabbles from various places but here we have a collection of them in one handy place. There's a good mix here covering a number of genres and many of them showing that most remarkable drabble trait of the twist in the tale.

I think it's also fair to warn potential readers that there's some ancient jokes in here as well, all told in drabble form. Their inclusion is quite clever as they provide a timely change in tone and lift you ready for the next.

However it wasn't the drabbles that provided the highlight (as good as they were). No the prize goes to the short story about Alfred the Great which had a bit of a Plague Dogs feel to it. It's a simple yet very effective story and worth picking up this collection for alone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2015 7:57 PM GMT

Dark Hall Press Cosmic Horror Anthology
Dark Hall Press Cosmic Horror Anthology

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent collection of Lovecraftian style horror, 3 Sept. 2014
I'm a big fan of Lovecraft's horror and in particular his Cthulhu mythos. This is a collection of short stories inspired by Lovecraft's range of cosmic horror. This isn't a collection of Cthulhu tales, there's some that are related but also some taking a wider view. I was surprised by the latter ones being more effective than the former.

They're all decent stories although some stood out more than the others. Two stories in particular impressed me. The first tells the story of a world filled with yellow dust and it was a poignant and melancholy story that is superbly written.

The other story that really stood out for me was the closing one. This was the story of cavemen under attack by minions of the elder gods. It was the unusual perspective that attracted me to this one. The fact it was well written helped too of course!

One of the reasons I enjoy this style of horror is the twists in logic and perception which gets me thinking as I read them. On that count this is a fine collection of stories and one for any Lovecraft fans or those looking for something a little different with their horror.

American Gothic
American Gothic

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and fun, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: American Gothic (DVD)
I bought this on the strength of the name alone as I love the TV show of the same name. It just goes to show that I buy things for the dumbest reasons sometimes. To be honest I almost turned the film off in the first quarter of an hour. I stuck with it though and it developed into quite a weird and bloody slasher.

There is a lot of weirdness in this film and as the end approach I didn't think it could get any weirder and it managed to surprise me. It shows it ages, but once it gets going it's a fun watch.

The Last Days on Mars [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Last Days on Mars [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Liev Schreiber

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombies in space, 1 Sept. 2014
From the blurb I was hoping for something like Outbreak on Mars and there is some elements of that. This is counterbalanced by zombies on Mars which I didn't think as much of. The build up is good with the daily routine of a team operating on Mars and while the characters were a little one dimensional it's a slow but interesting watch.

Then things go mental and it loses its way a bit. There's some tension here that worked well, but the action less so. It recovers a bit by the end and the final scene is a fitting conclusion. An okay watch on balance, but not great.

Cursed
Cursed

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay supernatural horror, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cursed (DVD)
Not a bad supernatural horror although it tells you what's going to happen right at the start of the film. The shaky cam bits are annoying. There's some decent sinister bits but there's no real tension throughout thanks to already knowing what's going on. I did appreciate the ending though.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30