Profile for Mr. M. DODKINS > Reviews

Mr. M. DODKINS (England)

Quaristice
Quaristice

5.0 out of 5 stars It should have been the main album..., 18 Jan 2009
This review is from: Quaristice (Audio CD)
This release is fantastic - alternative and extended versions of the mainstream album. It rocks the hell out of the other one and should have been the main release... I only heard it the first time by chance!

Any Autechre fans who found the main album a little dry should definitely try and hear this! Any places you wished they'd explored the sounds in more detail tend to have been extended for this one (or rather, the main release was abbreviated!)

This is definitely one of the best albums I've ever heard.

A Song for Arbonne
A Song for Arbonne
by Guy Gavriel Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 23 July 2001
This review is from: A Song for Arbonne (Paperback)
This is truly a wonderful book, beautifully written and brilliantly thought out.. The story is woven around and between some of the most well developed and "real" characters I have ever come across, taking you on a journey which is terrifyingly easy to get lost in as the inner disputes of Arbonne threaten to be its downfall in forthcoming war.
A Song for Arbonne delivers a well-balanced and thought provoking novel, involving the reader in the relationships of each character in such a way that your heart races as they talk and plunges as they fight - there is no single 'bad guy' as such, the differences here are more often cultural than otherwise. This might sound "fluffy" or some such to someone reading it but believe me.. this book is far from fluffy. It is touching at times and stomach-churning at others..... having read it far too many times to be truly objective any more I can only say that every single person I know who has read this after I recommended it to them has fallen for Arbonne and several have gone on to read all Guy Kay's other novels.
If you're skeptical (you needn't be) just try it; I wish I had the opportunity to read it again for the first time.

Otherland: City of Golden Shadow Bk. 1
Otherland: City of Golden Shadow Bk. 1
by Tad Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good.., 23 July 2001
I bought Otherland for around £2 second-hand (and knowing aboslutely nothing about Tad Williams) and I have to say it's much better than I'd expected.
I've been systematically avoiding Tad Williams for fear of disappointment (not being a huge fan of the newer Fantasy / Sci-Fi novels) but this one blew me away - it's superbly written with plausible plots and characters (a rare combination) in addition to some truly horrific and breathtaking moments. I swam through the book in three days and loved every last word of it.
I can understand the technological criticisms some have levelled at it but, as a programmer, I cannot personally see much which is not conceivably achievable (besides, sci-fi ought to be, at least in part, fantastic :) It *is* cleverly done though - not once in the book did it seem, in any way, to be a detached experience.
Is it flawed? Absolutely... almost all books are. However, the flaws it does have in no way detract from the experience of reading it. Give it a try - personally I hate the idea that I might have never read this one.