ARRAY(0xa7210804)

Perilous
Perilous
Price: 12.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Perilously close to being branded Yes clones, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Perilous (Audio CD)
At the outset, let me say that I am a Yes fan, but for me, Jon Anderson's voice was an acquired taste, to put it politely. Actually, for many years his voice kept me from fully embracing the Yes sound. You can therefore understand that I am less than thrilled that Glass Hammer's current vocalist (third albumn behind the mike), sings so very like Jon Anderson. Of course, for many fans of GH, the closeness to the Yes sound is likely to be the primary drawcard and such people should rightly dismiss my few misgivings about this albumn.

For me, the lyrics are too dense and in many places the storyline is uncomfortably wedged into the generally good music. The lyrics therefore at times sound forced, or contrived. The arrival of the first long instrumental part came as a welcome relief to me. This is not a bad record - but if you want an impressive introduction to this band, don't start with Perilous - try Chronometry!

No Earthly Connection
No Earthly Connection
Price: 12.66

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heavenly Connection, 26 May 2013
This review is from: No Earthly Connection (Audio CD)
This is a classic. For me, head and shoulders above anything else Wakeman has ever done. Unique in its time, unique even within Wakeman's output, still powerful today. Edgy, pretty, bombastic and yet still a great rock record - all we ever want from classic prog. All these years later, I still cannot fathom why Wakeman did not keep this band together for longer.

Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (Limited Edition)
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (Limited Edition)
Price: 13.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Awaken to a new Era, 26 May 2013
Spock's Beard have woken totally refreshed from their changes in personnel. A must-have for fans, a must listen for any fan of Prog. Somehow, the personnel changes have left both the essence and a lot of the structure of the Old Beard untouched, but sounding more vibrant, more fresh than anything they have put out for many years. If you thought (as I did) that X was great, just wait until you hear Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep!