Profile for TheSoutherner > Reviews

Content by TheSoutherner

TheSoutherner

The Most Boring Book Ever Written (An Interactive Novella)
The Most Boring Book Ever Written (An Interactive Novella)

4.0 out of 5 stars The Most Charmingly Boring Book, 2 May 2014
I liked this rather too much. It maybe boring but it adds to the charm - I loved it! I enjoy choose your own adventure and Life's lottery - but this is so....oddly delightful :)

Magic Molly The Fire Witch: 4
Magic Molly The Fire Witch: 4
by Trevor Forest

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Balls of Fire, 12 Nov. 2013
My daughter won this via a writing competition - she's an avid fan of Magic Molly and said it was 'awesome' :) She said it's impossible to stop reading it and when you get to the middle it's so exciting and she especially liked the witches in the cafe scene because it was so funny. My daughter is a big reader of Jacqueline Wilson, the Daisy books (The trouble with...) and David Walliams and never reads things just for the sake of it which is why I do not hesitate to highly recommend this series.

The Secret History
The Secret History

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all Greek to me! :), 22 Sept. 2013
Loved this book - the language is a little pompous at first, but fits with the tone of the story. I liked the story, Surprising twists and turns and quite addictive once you get past the first chapter...A nice read. I will read More of her in the future...

Note-Book of Anton Chekhov
Note-Book of Anton Chekhov

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable..., 17 Aug. 2013
I loved reading this collection of imaginings. Full of Entertaining detailed character and general life observations. Recommend for creative people that wish to ignite themselves...

Magic Molly Book 2 Gloop
Magic Molly Book 2 Gloop

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Sequel!!, 12 July 2012
My daughter absolutely loves this!! She reads widely and is a fan of popular fiction for her age group - I recommend this because she was glued to it, reading it in one sitting and was bursting out laughing all over the place. We can't wait for the next one, Trevor is an outstanding children's writer and I'm really excited for my daughter that she is such a fan.

Swallow the Swell: Part One of the Swallow Series
Swallow the Swell: Part One of the Swallow Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 6 Jun. 2012
Fresh and original - this book hits you right in the solar-plexus. The travelog elements make for an interesting humourous and lighthearted journey, then opens the floor on you with a parallel dark psychological backdrop. I found some of the wording and scathing vitriol concerning peripheral characters uncomfortable and disconcerting - but that only makes it better because his writer doesn't hide behind conventionality or social appropriateness, he says it like he sees it. It demands respect. The writing is sharp and conveys emotion and conflict in eye-wateringly clarity - punctuated with original bursts of insight and humour - this is a truly excellent piece of work. You won't find one cliche, overuse of adjectives, nothing like is usually the case of ebook novels. People should look at this as a great example of how an ebook can be. I especially liked the haiku-type inserts and highly recommend it to a mature/literary fiction reader. Superb.

Magic Molly Book 1 The Mirror Maze
Magic Molly Book 1 The Mirror Maze

5.0 out of 5 stars My 8 year old loves it, 6 Jun. 2012
My 8 year old daughter loves this. I wish I could have uploaded the wide-eyed smile on her face when she said: I love it, which said it all!! Now, my daughter is INCREDIBLY fussy - she reads a lot and doesn't always finish them. She was constantly engaged, chuckling to herself and she liked ALL the characters. As I said, my daughter is very fussy so I have no hesitation in recommending this book to the 8 year old in your life :)

Tracy's Hot Mail
Tracy's Hot Mail

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous format!, 30 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Tracy's Hot Mail (Kindle Edition)
A very enjoyable read. As a reader of this genre, I generally opt for female authours; so I was pleasantly surprised to find that a male authour could 'pull off' a convincing female character to such great effect. The e-mail format makes the reading experience, almost a guilty pleasure. If you like funny diaries and close up detailed internal narratives with a fresh contemporary feel, you'll love this too.