Profile for The Saint > Reviews

Content by The Saint

The Saint "The Saint" (Milan, Italy)

Sony Walkman NWZ-W262 W262BLK 2GB Wearable Water Resistant MP3 Player, BLACK
Sony Walkman NWZ-W262 W262BLK 2GB Wearable Water Resistant MP3 Player, BLACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but could be louder and bassier, 20 Aug. 2013
I haven't really had any problems with this unlike some reviewers. They do fall out of my ears when I'm skipping and doing certain gym excercises, but when I'm running I'm fine with them. I'm used to the controls now and really appreciate the lack of a lead. Just that fact alone gives these a 4* in my view (no more tangled cable that eventually ends up breaking the wire inside and losing the sound in one ear!). They charge up fast; are waterproof and are handy to get on and off.

Only criticsms: the zappin' function is redundant for me as I'm inclined to just click forward or back to find a suitable track in the heat of the moment; depending on the quality of the mp3 I'm listening to playback can be a little quiet at maximum volume; and no bass boost function or similar which I would have appreciated a lot.

MAXIMUM NRG
MAXIMUM NRG

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok; slight disapointment compared to the last two NRG releases, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: MAXIMUM NRG (Audio CD)
This two disk package is fairly solid (but what happened to KB Project????). As in the past I find myself enjoying the Megamix on disk 1 then tending to skip forward to disk 2. As someone else mentioned, disk 1 is very very commercial and lacking in anthems (in my opinion at least). Disk 2 is better and has some nice vocal tracks and ambient pits and pieces. Last track on disk 2 is a blinder. All in all could have been better but hasn't put me off future releases.

Ultimate NRG 5
Ultimate NRG 5
Offered by mrtopseller

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Ultimate NRG 5 (Audio CD)
Was looking for some fast uplifting stuff to power my days and my workouts. This delivered 100%!

Very impressed indeed. Will defo be purchasing the next release :-)

Unia
Unia

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music..not exactly catchy.. but well put together, 14 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Unia (Audio CD)
I'd heard various earlier SA tracks on You Tube like 'Blank File', 'Shy', 'Peacemaker' and 'Kingdom for a Heart' and thought I'd splash out on their latest offering based upon how much I like the single 'Paid in Full'.

Although I'm really pleased to have 'Paid in Full' pumping out loud from my stereo I'm a little disapointed in the rest of the album. The tracks are all well produced but they aren't exactly catchy and all tend to have a similar tempo with rambling structures. The hallmark vocals are there and all the instruments are played really well but apart from PIF and maybe a couple of others I don't really dig it.

The Order of the Solar Temple: The Temple of Death (Controversial New Religions)
by James R. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent multi-angled account of the OTS case. recomended!, 30 Aug. 2007
This book is a very well written account of the events leading up to the Odre du Temple Solaire homicides and suicides. The contributors are all leading experts in the field of cults and new-age religion, in fact one (JF Mayer) actually received a copy of the testaments in the post the day after the group's 1994 'transits'. There is a large appendix which includes the testaments and other historic souces in apparently accurate translation.

The origins of the founders, make-up and structure of the cult and the rather clumsy and assumptive actions on the part of the Candian authorities in linking members to illegal firearms activities and money laudering is approached carefully and impartially. There is a lot of detail on the history and origin of the Knights Templar, hollow earth theory and ritualistic beliefs. Mary Douglas's writings are alluded to frequently which I think is comendable.

What we have here is a meticulously well-researched account without a whiff of sensationalism. If you want to really find out about the OTS (and like myself) refuse to follow the tabloid sensationalist/£2.50 paperback shocker version of events then this is the book to read. A stirling effort!

Sensitive Chaos: Creation of Flowing Forms in Water and Air
Sensitive Chaos: Creation of Flowing Forms in Water and Air
by Theodore Schwenk

3.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, well researched but didn't really work for me., 30 Aug. 2007
I was motivated to get hold of this book through an interest in Rudolf Steiner's Anthroposophy and a renewed interest in geographc ad elemental phenomena. I studied Geography and Environmental Science at A-level so wanted to see how the two areas overlapped with Anthroposophical leanings.

The book is well illustrated with lots of sketches and photos (unfortuately in black and white) and the narrative although a little dry is not particularly 'boring'... I think what I wasn't keen on was its rather rambling nature: it doesn't really build up to a theory but rather documents physical air/water phenomena and similarities to the human body and soul.

Its a fascinating subject but a hard one to pin down in written form: mind/body/spirit vs environment/geography. I think perhaps a video documentary would be more in order (I thought of it first people!)...and a more purposeful narrative of course.

Food for Free
Food for Free
by Richard Mabey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Food for Free (Paperback)
I bought this book recently through a desire to understand the countryside around me and try some of its natural foodstuffs.

The book is very well presented and includes an excellent foreword by the author. It provides a basic explaination of the various flora, a little of their natural and culinary history and there are nice photographs with identification hints.

I think I would like to have seen more recipies and ways in which they might be implemented. In the section dedicated to Spring I think there are only three recipies with much of the other suggestions directed towards salads. On balance a satisfactory purchase but I think that if my interest in wild foods develops I will certainly have to follow up my purchase with something more wholly dedicated to the culinary.