Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more
Profile for Matt Summers > Reviews

Content by Matt Summers

Matt Summers "mattsummerz"

City Boy / Dinner At The Ritz Expanded Edition
City Boy / Dinner At The Ritz Expanded Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars RESERVE YOUR SEATS FOR THIS FINE OFFERING!!, 2 Dec. 2015
One of the most underrated bands of the 70's. I remember seeing them perform the Hap-Ki-Do Kid, the first single off the 'City Boy' album, live on Top of the Pops!! Went into school the next day and asked if anyone had seen them. Not many had and those who did were too wrapped up in other music styles to notice! So I carried on listening to them. Mike Slamer, the lead guitarist, had a style all his own. Yes there were leanings towards Brian May but nevertheless, he made City Boy shine with his singing guitar. As for these first two albums, they were full of exciting and different avenues of music. A mix of pop meeting prog meeting soul. My favourite track on the first album had to be 'Haymaking Time', a beautiful ballad to end an album of twists and turns form the exciting 'Deadly Delicious' to the quirky 'Odd Ball Dance'.
For me though, 'DINNER AT THE RITZ' is the best thing this band produced. On a par with Queen's 'A Night at the Opera', in my opinion. Each song has the kind of style that wouldn't be amiss in the surroundings of 'The Ritz'!! 'MOMMA'S BOY'-bold and brilliant, 'WALK ON THE WATER'-blows me away, 'NARCISSUS'-see for yourself(!), 'DINNER AT THE RITZ'-Sublime, 'GOODBYE BLUE MONDAY'-leads to an excellent Tuesday(!!), 'THE VIOLIN'-Eleanor Rigby in another vein and finally 'STATE SECRETS'- imagine a couple in a dark corner of the restaurant eating and selling their souls...Brilliant!!
This double album is an excellent addition to anyone's music collection!!

Lewis - Series 9 [DVD]
Lewis - Series 9 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kevin Whately

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad Presentation!!, 1 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Lewis - Series 9 [DVD] (DVD)
As an avid Morse/Lewis/Endeavour fan, I was very much looking forward to this 9th series of Lewis on DVD. I never watch it on TV any more because of the way they present it with countless adverts and splitting 90 minutes into two unsatisfactory episodes for each story. Therefore I was looking forward to the usual 90 minute feast that has been on all the DVDs before this one. To my dismay I found they had left it as it was on TV!! Each story split in half. Without adverts that's about 45 minutes each. I know I may be older now than when the first Morse came out, but I am capable of sitting through an hour and a half without a toilet break!! Why have these episodes been chopped like this. They could be left to seamlessly shift from one part to another just like the ones that came before. That's why I give 4 stars instead of the usual five for this excellent series. Couldn't the producers of the DVD give us what we want as buyers of this product and not what they think we want.!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2016 3:01 PM BST

Endeavour (The Origins of Inspector Morse) [DVD]
Endeavour (The Origins of Inspector Morse) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shaun Evans

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but......, 10 Jan. 2012
I would have given this 5 stars but having just received the dvd this morning, I noticed after watching it all the way through that certain edits have been made from the film that was shown on ITV a few days ago!!! They have missed out the scene at the end where the MP is given a 'choice' as how to continue with his career after his dealings with the young girl in question in the episode. Plus various other scenes seem to have gone awol from this dvd. So my question is why? Are these people to be seen again in a new series and therefore we can't have them written out in the pilot? It seems a shame not to sell this dvd as it was seen on television!!!

Just a small gripe but I would have liked what was transmitted and not what they want us to see!!!

The acting was superb by all the cast and the young Endeavour did Morse proud!! But like I say, it was excellent but....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2012 6:15 AM BST

Open Sky
Open Sky
Offered by Re-vived

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Uplifting!!!, 10 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Open Sky (Audio CD)
I came across this album purely by accident whilst looking through the amazon pages. I was so pleased that that I took the plunge and ordered it.
The most beautiful and uplifting album that I have ever listened to. The songs get better and better with every hearing. I would advise anybody who loves real music to take a listen to this and try not to smile or feel a shiver down their spine!!!
"Woven Cord" is the best opening track I have had the pleasure of diving into for a long time. At first slow and dreamlike it catapults you into a jig of life that never lets go.
The second track, "Wave after wave", has the kind of emotional charge that dazzles you and makes you want to turn it up as loud as you can!
I could go on about the entire eleven tracks on this masterpiece, but I have to go back and listen to it again!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2013 10:06 PM GMT