ARRAY(0xa4611774)

Profile for Mr. Gary Coates > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gary Coates

Mr. Gary Coates "Gary C" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Platinum Carpet Protector Film / Self Adhesive 600mm x 100M
Platinum Carpet Protector Film / Self Adhesive 600mm x 100M
Offered by West Derby Carpets Online
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, 26 Jan 2014
All I can say at the moment is that this looks as good as any product I've seen before and for a very good price.

I have tested a small patch in a walkway and the performance seems spot on.

I'll update this review when our decorating is complete but I am sufficiently convinced that I am buying a second roll now.

Bavaria BAWM5 Water Alarm with Duracell Battery
Bavaria BAWM5 Water Alarm with Duracell Battery
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved us damage from a leek within a week, 17 Jan 2014
Like most people reading this review I decided to lock the gate after the horse had bolted. We had a dripping leak from a washing machine hose which doesn't sound like much but over time I can tell you it adds up.

So leak fixed I decided to get 2 alarms, put the kitchen back together and forgot about them. Well a week or so later something in the house is beeping, phones no, smoke alarm no, CO2 alarm no, tablet no what the hell? Eventually tracked it to the kitchen and one of my water alarms. Sure enough at the opposite end of the kitchen the water softener decided to leek. This time no carpets to rip up just put a bowl under it and fix when ready. Very please with my silent little assistent.

7dayshop AERO 7 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones with Aeroplane Kit and Travel Case
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)
Price: 28.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money when compared directly with Bose, 17 Jan 2014
I like my gadgets and covet the Bose and Parrot Zik noise cancelling headphones, however the price is a bit steep for something that will be used on 4 flights a year at most. Having read the reviews I decided to have a look at these and I'm glad I did.

A few comparisons.

Power - Bose 1 AAA battery, Aero 7 2 AAA batteries, Parrot Zik - re-chargeable with limited duration, spare 25.78. Win Bose and AERO 7, AAA cheap and readily available.
Case - Bose Included, Aero 7 Included, Parrot Zik 39.99
Cost - Bose 259.95 , Aero 7 28.87, Parrot Zik 224.99
Noise cancelling - Bose and Aero 7 very similar to my ears and those of the Bose owner, Parrot Zik not available to me.
Sound - Bose nice, Aero 7 OK. Very basic and subjective, if that frustrates you probably should spend the extra.

My conclusion for my purposes. For 4 flights a year the superior sound of the bose isn't worth the extra cash especially after tweaking the equaliser on my phone.. If I were using the headphones week in week out I would probably go for the improved sound of the Bose and ignore the Zik due to battery practicality.

Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model)
Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model)
Offered by PreisCompany
Price: 27.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow great little XBMC machine, 14 Nov 2013
This has greatly surpassed my expectations. I believe that you get what you pay for but with this thing I feel like I robbed the bank.

As you know you have to buy everything separately so here's my list:-
- Obviously the Pi
- 16gb Class 10 SD card - Reviews say this high speed SD card makes a difference - amazon 9.99
- 16gb USB memory stick - I got a physically small one so that it didn't stick out much - amazon 8.08
- Pi case - amazon 5.99
- 2a power charger - amazon 6.99
- HDMI lead - I had one lying around so didn't buy one but they are cheap enough
- Remote control - I'm using the free XMBC remote app on my android phone. Works a treat.
- Networking - I'm using a spare ethernet cable
- USB keyboard - not needed after initial setup so used one I have at home

I put OpenELEC on first and this was great. However I read reviews that recommended Raspbmc as it supposedly runs quicker by using the USB stick in a different way. I duly loaded Raspbmc and I can't believe how quick this thing is now.

So more detail - I'm using this setup to play large mp4 file from my WD NAS using an ethernet cable. The Pi is quicker than my PS3 at accessing the NAS files.

The build is quite easy. You need another computer, I used a win7 PC with a SD card reader. The Rapsbmc web site instructions are good. Basically you install a small program to the SD card, put you Pi together and start it (I'm pretty sure a wired connection is mandetory for the setup). The Pi then runs the setup software on the SD card during which it downloads the necessary software and boots a few times. Easy.

I have used the overclocking options within Raspbmc, easy point and click stuff. Everything has been stable so far and as I say it flies.

Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Price: 59.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Regret not paying the extra for the modular version + 4 pin power info, 30 Aug 2013
Great piece of kit just in hindsight wish I'd spent the extra for the modular version. This PSU has plenty of leads and sockets, if you don't need them all they take up quite a bit of space in the case.

Got a 4 pin CPU power socket? Don't panic the 8 pin CPU power supply on this PSU is designed to split in 2.

eKit 4-in-1 Connection Kit with MicroUSB Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4/Note, Samsung Galaxy Note 2/Note 3/Note 8.0/Note 10.1 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0/Tab 3 8.0/Tab 3 10.1 - Black
Price: 12.91

4.0 out of 5 stars OTG device with SD and Micro SD card reader and facility to power portable HDD, 2 July 2013
Firstly this product is great and I fully expect to keep it.

My one problem (hence 4 not 5 stars) is that I need to buy a micro USB extension cable. The inserted device sits flush to the case of my Nexus 10. As it is significantly bigger than a micro USB lead I have to take my tablet out of it's cover, not an easy job with my protective cover.

I bought this specifically to speed up the transfer of large files from my external hard drive to the Nexus 10. When fully charged my Nexus 10 will power the external drive but a 10gb file takes about 4 hours to transfer. Using this adaptor and my normal charger it's done in 18 minutes.

7dayshop Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Audio Receiver - BLUETOOTH ENABLE YOUR HI-FI, SPEAKER DOCK OR CAR STEREO!
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)
Price: 18.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 23 April 2013
Bought this for use in my car.

It's small enough to not get in the way, the sound quality is good enough and 1 charge lasts long time.

Samsung In-Car Vehicle Dock Kit Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 - Black
Samsung In-Car Vehicle Dock Kit Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 - Black
Offered by total digital stores
Price: 19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Save your time buy this one., 23 April 2013
I tried several cheap alternative. The price seems high but it works and the other had flaws.

Save the grief and spend the extra.

PC Arena 3.5mm Coupler Adaptor Stereo Jack Female Audio Joiner Connector
PC Arena 3.5mm Coupler Adaptor Stereo Jack Female Audio Joiner Connector
Offered by PoundMax
Price: 1.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, cheap, works, 23 April 2013
Happy to recommend. Solid and secure connection

Now I have to prattle on unnecessarily to satisfy Amazons minimum words! And still more....

House - Season 1-8 [DVD]
House - Season 1-8 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Laurie
Price: 51.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 23 April 2013
This review is from: House - Season 1-8 [DVD] (DVD)
Very good series. Hugh Laurie's character could not be further from Wooster.

If I had my time again I would buy the blu ray set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7