Profile for J. Mccormick > Reviews

Content by J. Mccormick

J. Mccormick "Jacobs Ladder" (UK)

Nano Nature
Nano Nature
by Richard Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Nano Nature (Hardcover)
I bought this for far more money than it is up for here and it was still well worth the price. The pictures are beautiful and we keep it at the side of the bed to look at one page each night we fancy. It is fantastic trying to guess what it is then reading the description which has just the right amount of information to be educational (even to someone with a science degree) yet light and fun.

Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)
Xbox 360 Console (20 GB Hard Drive)
Offered by funfair games

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but faulty., 14 Jun 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought my 360 in May 2006. Previously I had been a dedicated playstation user, but the delays in getting the ps3 out made me move over to microsoft.

Whilst I acknowledge that the PS3 in a better machine, the 360 is significantly cheaper so that's no suprise. I found the 360 to be an excellent console with great online options and the best controller (rubbish d-pad aside) that I have seen. And indeed for now - at least - the games are much better than the competition. For a year I loved it.

However, the dvd drive developed a fault a few days out of warranty and this is resulting in a lot of jerky problems during my game. My PS1 from 1995 still works fine. My ps2 from 2001 still works fine. But my 360 has bust within a year through no fault of my own.

Given that this appears to be a more general problem with the 360, I simply cannot recommend it. Microsoft have clearly used suppliers of old rope in making these things.

This may no longer the case. But do you trust them with your £300 quid?

Between My Ears There's Nothing But Music
Between My Ears There's Nothing But Music
Offered by themusicmerchant

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely., 28 Sep 2006
Another uplifting and witty album from babybird. Better than love, Shoutabout and Lighter 'n' Spoon are both beatifully crafted and wonderfully comical, the kind of love songs that cause you to skip about. Snails is a cracking catchy pop song that's great to drive to. The lyrics are not what they used to, but its just great to see them back. Fans of Babybird will not be dissapointed.

Somethings Going on
Somethings Going on
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great record., 8 Sep 2006
This review is from: Somethings Going on (Audio CD)
This guy doesn't get the attention he deserves. The success of the throwaway tune 'Your gorgeous' hardly helped. This album is bursting with good things; intelligence, wit and the creative spark of a talented storyteller. 'Back together' remains one of my all time favourite tunes. Buy this album if you fancy a change from British pop/rock music written by lads in their late teens and twenties.

DC Confidential
DC Confidential
by Sir Christopher Meyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to report., 26 July 2006
This review is from: DC Confidential (Hardcover)
Having found Meyer a rather affable and agreeable guy in his post ambassadorial TV performances, I made this purchase fully expectant of an entertaining and insightful depiction of the run up to war from inside the Washington embassy.

However, the first point one should note about the author of this book is that Meyer is no master of prose. Whether it be his shifting chronology or his constant self indugence in attributing continous honours upon himself and his wife, this book is an unbalanced and messy yawnathon.

Secondly, it becomes apparent very early on the book that he has an agenda against the Labour government that unbalances the narrative as his attempts at analysis gradually slide into unsophisticated polemic. Much his criticism regarding Labour ministers appear to follow from Tory prejudices and a perception of bad treatment by Number 10 and the FCO rather than the facts he lays out. Those seeking smoking guns to damn the Labour governments post-9/11 foreign policy will be dissapointed by the emptyness of his critique.

Finally I have to say that Meyer's knowledge of International Relations is at best amaturish considering his long career in the diplomatic service. There are many cliche's about classical realism and Morgenthau style diplomacy, Meyer just doesn't come accross as speaking with authority on such matters. He is a lightweight, I am sure he was a good ambassador, but he's no intellectual.

His main thesis regarding the Iraq war is that Blair missed an opportunity to cash in his huge popularity in the US and utilise UK's role as Bush's "indispensible" ally to modifiy the war plan. Meyer vaguely suggests Blair could of used his leverage to win a delay in the invasion to autumn 2003 with a view to increasing international support + extended planning for post war reconstruction. This is hardly novel and merely serves to demonstrate the rather uninteresting and unchallenging nature of this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2010 12:16 AM BST

The Shrine
The Shrine
by James Herbert
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 26 July 2006
This review is from: The Shrine (Audio Cassette)
I consider this book to be excellent. Despite the accusations of cheese and cliche, the book is quality. I passed it onto my friends to read and they agree, the storyline is spooky, the plot development is wonderfully paced and the prose just draws you in. The ended is as ever with Herbert not the best part of the story, but quite frankly not every good story needs to lead to good ending. I'd love to see a film version of this.