Profile for Amazon Addict > Reviews

Content by Amazon Addict

Amazon Addict (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Best Recipes for Babies & Toddlers
The Best Recipes for Babies & Toddlers
by Renée Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 1 Nov. 2014
I love this book. I used it when I weaned my daughter a couple of years ago, and am using it again now with my second child.

I like the variety of ingredients used. It's fair to say that some are not those you'd use ordinarily, but that is one of the beauties of this book: it provides great ideas for healthy, nutritious foods/meals for kids.

It's divided into age ranges, which is really helpful, e.g. 4-6 months, 6-9 months etc, even though I didn't introduce solids until 6 months with my kids.

A great tool in the weaning toolkit!

Philips AVENT SCF312/01 Electric Breast Pump
Philips AVENT SCF312/01 Electric Breast Pump

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pump, 25 Mar. 2012
I have used this pump since shortly after my daughter was born 9 months ago and I think it is excellent. I used a Medela pump in hospital but I find this Philips one much more comfortable.

You can choose how fast or slowly it pumps, and there are only a few parts to dismantle and sterilise. It comes with the parts to convert it to a manual pump, and also a battery pack for when you're out and about.

A good buy.

Munchkin Soft Tip Spoons
Munchkin Soft Tip Spoons

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite baby spoons, 24 Mar. 2012
I've tried a few different baby spoons and these are my favourite. They are soft and have nice long handles which are easy for babies to hold. They're a good shape for getting food into babies' mouths, and I love the nice bright colours.

OXO Tot 4 x 120ml Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers
OXO Tot 4 x 120ml Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 24 Mar. 2012
These storage pots are very good. They're made of strong plastic that doesn't crack or break if dropped (even when frozen). They seal well and don't leak. They can be a tiny bit fiddly because they have rubber seals in the lids that actually detach, which is great for cleaning but can be a pain when you're trying to reassemble them in a hurry. Still, they're of much better quality than some of the other baby food storage pots I've bought, and they're BPA free. You can use them safely in the microwave and dishwasher. They're also a good size - at 9 months my baby typically eats one pot per meal. They come with a handy tray so that if, like me, you buy more than one set, they can be stacked easily. I would definitely buy these again.

Philips AVENT SCF870/21 Combined Baby Food Steamer and Blender
Philips AVENT SCF870/21 Combined Baby Food Steamer and Blender

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes weaning a doddle, 19 Jan. 2012
I can't begin to express how much I love this machine. It has made weaning so easy. You just choose the food you want to prepare, chop it up, add water and turn it on. Then when it's done steaming (the machine turns itself off which is handy if you've become distracted by your little bundle of joy), you flip the container over, and puree away. Contrary to the description it does NOT have 3 pureeing speeds, but if you want lumpier food you just puree for less time.

All the parts (except the motor, obviously) can be washed in the dishwasher, but there's only a few parts to clean so I find it easy to do by hand.

It comes with a handy recipe book which has some nice ideas. The instruction manual also has a table of suggested steaming times for a range of fruit/vegetables/proteins, which takes the guesswork out. You then just add the right amount of water: e.g. 100ml for 10 mins, 150ml for 15 mins and so on. You don't have to do just one type of food at a time, for example, there's a recipe for baby bolognaise where you put the meat and veg in all at once, steam, then puree.

As others have said, the machine is not huge, but I find it sufficient. To give you an example, I fill it to the "max" line with apples, and find that gives me about 14 x 30ml ice cubes worth. I don't have a huge freezer so that's more than enough. I started using the machine a couple of weeks before we started weaning so by the time my baby was ready I already had a freezer drawer full of cubes of different fruit and veg, which I now mix and match each day to give her a varied diet (I use freezer bags to store cubes to avoid having to buy loads of ice cube trays and save space).

You can use the machine for fruit, veg, fish and meat. You can also use it as a steamer only, or to puree only, which makes it very versatile.

It really makes the whole steaming/pureeing process so simple: no hassling with pans and separate blenders. Also steaming is much healthier than boiling, apparently, because more nutrients in the food are preserved. I really like the fact that I know all my baby's food is homemade with no additives and (for the most part) organic.

My only slight criticism is that the puree function is quite loud. That means it's hard to use when the baby is asleep, and if I use it when she's in the room it terrifies her and she starts crying so I can't do that either. I work around this by popping her in another room with a toy for the 30 seconds or so it takes to puree.

After watching many other mums I know struggle with weaning, I'm so glad I have this machine. I recommend it to others as a way of simplifying the whole process. And of course you can use it after weaning is done - I've already used it to make creamed spinach for the adults in the family!

Annabel Karmel by NUK Masher & Bowl
Annabel Karmel by NUK Masher & Bowl

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful - much better than a fork and bowl, 19 Jan. 2012
I use this for mashing soft fruits like banana, mango, strawberries, peaches etc and it's perfect. I find it produces better results than using a fork and bowl, probably because there are grooves in the bottom of this bowl which stops the food slipping around as you mash.

It's dishwasher safe and the plastic feels very sturdy. Very handy for weaning.

OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray
OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 11 Dec. 2011
This tray is great for preparing small amounts of puree for the first stage of weaning.

The lid protects the food from getting other stuff in it, and the bottom of each "cube" is rounded to make popping them out easier. It doesn't always work perfectly - I usually have to run a little hot water over the back to loosen the cubes, but that's a really minor issue.

It's dishwasher safe, which is handy, and BPA free. A useful tool for weaning.

Lamaze Jacques the Peacock
Lamaze Jacques the Peacock

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves it, 4 Nov. 2011
I bought this for my baby (4 months) to use in the house because it's quite similar to Freddie the Firefly who is attached to her puschair and provides endless entertainment when we're out and about. She likes this as much as she likes Freddie. The wings make crinkly sounds, which she loves, and she also enjoys sucking on them. The colours are bright and engaging. A really nice toy.

Sunshine Kids Car Seat Travel Bag
Sunshine Kids Car Seat Travel Bag
Offered by UK Surplus Central Ltd - Dispatched Same Day If Order Received By 14:00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 4 Nov. 2011
We bought this to take our Maxi Cosi Cabriofix abroad on a long-haul flight. It fits in with plenty of room for extra stuff (nappies make great padding!). We ended up buying a second one when we discovered the carrycot of our pushchair fits in it too; provided great protection from damage/dirt.

Like others have commented, the zips/fabric aren't of the best quality out there so you probably wouldn't want to use this every day but for the occasional flight it's perfect.

Cosatto Easi Peasi Changing Unit - Zuton
Cosatto Easi Peasi Changing Unit - Zuton

4.0 out of 5 stars Really really good, if you have the right bathroom, 4 Nov. 2011
We love this unit. It's bright and colourful and our baby loves being on it. The little compartments are very handy.

We keep ours in the bathroom so as to avoid getting water from the bath on carpet in the nursery. It takes up a decent amount of room but it's worth it. We use the shower hose from our bath to fill the bath up, otherwise I imagine it would be quite difficult to fill unless you place it in your own adult bath. The drainage tube is handy because it means you can empty the bath without too much fuss. I'm not sure that using the bath in the unit would be practical if you had it in a nursery; I guess you'd just separate the bath from the unit and put it in the big bath.

The bath has a back support which we quite like because it helps keep baby's head out of the water while bathing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4