Profile for Mr. Stuart Bruce > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stuart Bruce
Top Reviewer Ranking: 683

Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Case Logic Snap View Folio for 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab - Black
Case Logic Snap View Folio for 7 inch Samsung Galaxy Tab - Black
Price: 30.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-fitted and high quality, but not particularly good value, 27 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have two cases for my Galaxy Tab- this, and a cheaper one bought through an Amazon marketplace seller that retailed much cheaper. Does this case warrant the significant price difference, considering that it's not far off being half the cost of the tablet itself? In some ways yes, but not completely.

The plastic casing is a really snug fit for the tablet. It feels really secure, and truly like you've added an extra layer of protection to the tablet without really increasing the bulk very much. However the way we use our tablet involves taking it in and out of the case quite a lot, which ends up being a bit of a faff, and you end up worrying that you're going to do more damage that way. If you're intending to stick your tablet in the case and keep it there, then obviously that won't be an issue.

The fabric side is nice- simple and professional.

The way in which the stand can be angled so that the whole thing can be propped up is fairly neat, but took a little while to get used to. It can't be done with one hand, which is a problem that only parents of young children will really appreciate the inconvenience of.

There were two key advantages that the cheaper tablet case we bought had over this- they're only minor but they do make a difference. Firstly, the other case we have has a little dangly pen attached. I use the tablet with my fingers, but my wife prefers the pen (and no, she's not got fat fingers). Secondly the cheaper case came bundled with a bunch of free screen protectors, which are invaluable- if you buy this case, then you'll want to buy screen protectors separately.

So it's a very good, product-specific piece of design, and it's of high quality, but unless money is no object, there are other options that Amazon sell that will do the job almost as well and be better value.

Perixx PERIBOARD-807W US, Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard - 285x120x17mm Portable Size - Compatible with iPhone - iPad - iPad Mini - Nexus 4 7 10 - Galaxy Tab - S3 S4 S5 - Note - White - US Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, well built, and a good size, 21 Jan 2014
I bought this to use with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and it has been the perfect companion for it. Since it's so much cheaper than the other equivalent wireless keyboards I was a bit sceptical, but I needn't have been- it's just as good as a wireless keyboard I could've spent five times as much on.

Pairing the keyboard with the tablet couldn't have been easier. It popped up straight away, and as you'd expect, each time you turn the keyboard on and off, it just pairs without any problems. The fact the keyboard has a proper on-and-off switch underneath is a nice touch- probably much more battery-efficient than the cleverer 'auto-off' approach that some devices take. On the subject of batteries, it's worth pointing out that batteries are not included.

The key layout is US-based, which took a minute to get used to but didn't end up being a major problem. I'm a touch typist and I've used US-layout keyboards before so I found it easy to adapt to- other people may find this layout a little bit more interesting though, potentially.

It's a good build quality. It's quite reminiscent of a MacBook Pro keyboard, and only a little bit smaller- I can type fine on this, whereas some smaller keyboards make my fingers feel cramped. The responsiveness is pretty similar too, but maybe just a touch lighter. The solid construction of it makes me think that if I dropped it, it would probably be absolutely fine (though I haven't tested this- not deliberately yet anyway). At the same time it's still quite light, so it ensures that carrying around a tablet and this keyboard will still be much lighter than carrying around a laptop.

All in all this has been a surprisingly high-quality product for the price, and I'm very happy with it.

Philips 71705/33/26 Plastic LED Softpal Mike Disney Table Lamp
Philips 71705/33/26 Plastic LED Softpal Mike Disney Table Lamp
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly adorable, 9 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The nightlight has been an unprecedented runaway hit with our 2-year-old daughter- we've never seen a reaction like it. I'm not exaggerating when I say that "green man" (as she calls him) has, quite honestly, meant a massive improvement to bedtimes. Our daughter would generally find it quite difficult to get to sleep in the evening, no matter what the lighting, but as soon as she could snuggle up next to "green man", suddenly she was a lot happier about going to bed. I really wish we'd thought of trying something like that sooner. She hasn't even seen any of the "Monsters Inc" film series, yet she seems to adore him anyway.

It's very toddler-proof. It doesn't get hot, it can be squeezed as a toy, it can be dropped bounced and kicked. The snot-green light, which isn't exceptionally bright and is more of a mood light than a reading light, stays on for hours when fully charged, and doesn't seem to take long to charge either. Our daughter quickly got the hang of the tilting action that's required to turn it on and off, so at a push it even doubles as a sort of dexterity test.

I'm incredibly pleased with this nightlight, because of how well our daughter has taken to it. It's one of those special items where you know that if for some reason it ever broke, you would go out and buy a new one, immediately, without fail. If it weren't for that unexpected emotional attachment, the build quality and simplicity of it would probably still have got a 5 star review.

Seagate STDR1000202 1TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Blue
Seagate STDR1000202 1TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive - Blue
Offered by All-4-Less
Price: 50.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny, and very impressive, 24 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best thing about this drive is its size. From the pictures I expected something bigger, but this is the same sort of size as some larger smartphones. It's easily pocketed and incredibly convenient.

It's got a very decent read-and-write speed (haven't tested with actual figures, sorry), considering that its only power source is through the USB3 cable- there's no other way of powering it.

The blue metallic colour is a little bit unusual, I don't see it matching many PC colour schemes- it looks more like shiny car paint than a normal IT colour. It's fairly nice though, so as long as you're not planning some sort of colour-sensitive feng-shui based desk around it, you won't complain.

The backup software that's included is surprisingly OK. Previous drives I've had have come bundled with backup software that has been an appalling victory of style over content, and completely useless for actually backing things up- that's why I bought myself PureSync, from Jumping Bytes software, to do the job properly. This Seagate Dashboard system is more easy-to-use and more advanced than I expected. To be honest I'll probably still use PureSync, but if you don't already have backup software, the included Seagate offering is definitely better than nothing- it's definitely worth registering, at least. This is especially true if you're a big social networker, as the Facebook interaction is something I've not seen before.

The USB3 cable provided is very short. Depending on where you'll want to keep it, you might want to get yourself a longer cable (for example AmazonBasics USB Cable - 3.0 A Male to Micro B 1.8 m).

Another great plus about this drive is that it's so small even when packaged up that it will drop through your letterbox when it's delivered!

If you're after a drive for portability and convenience, this should do the job very nicely indeed.

Dettol Complete Clean Mould and Mildew 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Complete Clean Mould and Mildew 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Price: 10.44

5.0 out of 5 stars It's powerful and helps get the job done- but you'll need air freshener as well, 24 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a heavy-duty bleaching product, and if you've got some long-term mould issues, then it's definitely worth spending a bit more and trying this. Obviously it's hard to quantify it, but it's definitely been more effective in our bathroom than the bog-standard (no pun intended) products we've tried before.

As other reviewers have said, although the warning says you shouldn't leave it applied for more than a few minutes, depending on the surface you can leave it for longer and the effectiveness does seem to improve. Make sure it's in a ventilated space though- the smell is rather toxic, and not pleasant.

This is one of those cleaning products that's more about getting the job done than leaving any kind of lemony fragrance, so if you're trying to get a bathroom presentable, you'll want some kind of air freshener as well after you've used this.

Circulon Acclaim Cookware Set, 13-Piece - Black
Circulon Acclaim Cookware Set, 13-Piece - Black
Price: 186.15

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality, sturdy, and very easy to use, 24 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really high quality pan set that is clearly going to last you many years. Buying these is a long-term kitchen investment.

Put simply, they cook really well. They're really well weighted so that they are easy to fit and manage, but not too heavy overall. The bases warm evenly on a gas hob. The handles are solid, and are clearly going to handle a lot of abuse. The non-stick surfaces are exactly that- nothing ever seems to get stuck to them, no matter how burnt it gets.

Every part of them cleans extremely easily, so the fact that they're not dishwasher-proof turns out to not be a real problem- after most cooking a few quick wipes in the sink will have them clean again. And with eight pans in the set, you won't be running out of clean pans too often either.

It's a good range of pan sizes, ranging from the large stock pot (which is ovenproof as well, to a degree, perfect for slow cooking), down to the dinky little milk pan for a quick hot chocolate, or melting some chocolate, or something else that isn't necessarily chocolate (probably).

There's just a tiny little design flaw which stops me from giving this pan set full marks. The glass lids for the pans don't have vents in them. Our previous, much cheaper pan set has a little twisty vent on top, which is really useful for letting out the steam and preventing overflowing without losing a lot of the heat to the open air. Unfortunately these pans just have the solid glass lids, so if you need to let the steam out, you have to lift the whole lid. If it weren't for that little oversight, these would be absolutely perfect pans.

Alpen Porridge Raisin/ Hazelnut/ Almond Pot 60 g (Pack of 8)
Alpen Porridge Raisin/ Hazelnut/ Almond Pot 60 g (Pack of 8)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Creamy, and not too sweet, but not quite nutty enough for me, 24 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally make porridge with milk, and have found other water-based ready-porridges to be too paper-like and weak, so this was a pleasant surprise. It includes milk powder, and after adding hot water, you do end up with a fairly milky and fairly thick porridge- not quite as thick as I normally like, but pretty good nevertheless.

The taste is pretty good. It does taste a lot like wet Alpen. There are plenty of raisins included and it's been just a little bit sweetened compared to Alpen muesli, so overall it's definitely above-average taste-wise as porridges go.

Considering it's called 'fruit and nut', I would've liked more nuts- there are just a few little flakes of grated almond and hazelnut, but personally I think they could've included more and bigger nut pieces- for my taste, anyway.

With the raisins and sweetness I don't think you could convince yourself that this is outstandingly healthy, but it could definitely be a lot worse health-wise.

Pretty good, and very convenient.

Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer Can 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer Can 355 ml (Pack of 12)
Price: 11.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, like toothpaste, 23 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never thought I'd enjoy a drink that tastes like toothpaste- but I do. I couldn't stand root beer when it was an option in McDonald's (I might be showing my age here somewhat) but thought I'd have a punt on this because I was getting bored of Pepsi- and I'm glad I did.

It really does taste of Euthymol toothpaste, but in a good way, honest- if you took Vanilla Coke and took out the Coke, and just left a medicinally-strong fizzy vanilla essence, this is what you'd be left with. As a big fan of Vanilla Coke and Euthymol, it's right up my street, but I imagine that fans of it are in the minority. It's also been compared to Dandelion and Burdock, which is a fair comparison as well.

The premium price on this makes me think that it will have a limited appeal- mainly to homesick Americans who are hooked on the genetically modified corn syrup. However unlike a lot of American imports which taste pretty much the same or worse than their UK counterparts, this one is at least something very different, and as such, probably worth the airmiles, maybe.

A very pleasant surprise and strangely addictive.

The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds
The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds
by John Higgs
Price: 8.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Bill Drummond's bio 1980 from 1994 - well-written but slightly imbalanced, 15 Dec 2013
Initially I was put off from this book by the other reviews that said that it flies off at tangents and delves heavily into Discordianism and synchronicity and so forth. I wasn't really interested in that, I was more interested in Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty and the story of their time working together and the insane things they did. Nevertheless I bought it anyway and took my chances.

I'm glad I did- it's a great book. Yes it does jump around a lot, but it never strays all that far from its core, which is essentially a biography of Bill Drummond from the 1980s to mid 1990s, from his first job (which is relevant) through to the burning of a million pounds. The patterns of coincidence are well explained and it is, despite what other reviewers have said, mostly in quite a chronological order (except for the 'tease' of the prologue).

The most interesting aspect for me is that Bill Drummond is portrayed more as a victim than as a hero. Established as an impulsive, coincidence-driven, map-obsessed and whimsical man, this account of The KLF's story shows him as more of a victim of circumstance (or possibly deliberate Discordian intervention- though I don't happen to believe that) than as a master of his own destiny. It's a bit like Danny Wallace's "Yes Man" scenario, where a man strictly follows a particular and unique set of rules through life and ends up in some very unexpected places.

Jimmy Cauty is portrayed as a bit of a bit-part player, which has happened in other accounts of The KLF as well and always seems a bit inaccurate- Cauty is quite clearly an important figure (and a loon) in his own right and more time could've been spent on him.

There's also an incredible and glaring omission - Drummond and Cauty's 1997 reunion as 2K is completely and utterly overlooked throughout the whole book. The discography section at the back utterly fails to mention it, as does the rest of the book, despite the fact 1997 is mentioned for other events- it is even stated that Drummond & Cauty never collaborated musically again after 1992, which simply isn't true! 2K involved Drummond and Cauty re-addressing their KLF mythology (as old men in wheelchairs wearing horns) and to have left it out of the book completely seems like a mistake. The One World Orchestra track they did together for the Help! compilation is completely missed out too. This isn't just fan nitpicking, these are two fairly major musical items being missed.

As music biographies go though, this is both one of the best bands to write out, and one of the best-written ones I've read.

Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, with a good mild scent, 15 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These do the job very nicely indeed. They're as effortless as they could possibly be- you just put them into your dishwasher's tablet compartment and go. You don't even have to unwrap them from a little packet first. In the plastic 40-pack, it feels like the amount of unnecessary waste is relatively low, by comparison to other tablets.

They seem to give a good clean result. Using these tablets always seems to leave the dishes as clean as the best results we normally get from our dishwasher, so no problems there. They seem quite powerful, and you don't seem to get worse results for full loads.

The lemon scent is also quite nice. It's not too 'chemically', and leaves a very mild and pleasant smell. It doesn't seem to last at all once the dishes have gone back in the cupboard, but at least it's nice while you're emptying the dishwasher. I'm not sure I'd necessarily pay extra for the lemon scent over the classic though.

I have a little bugbear at the way in which dishwasher tablets seem to be almost permanently "half price!" with over-inflated RRPs that are almost never charged, in an attempt to make them look better value than they are. It's the kind of false re-pricing that has been stamped out on a lot of other products, but still seems to happen when it comes to these things. However that has no bearing on the actual product itself, just the pricing, so if you see these being sold at a good value price, buy without hesitation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20