Profile for Heather > Reviews

The Complete Tutankhamun: The King · The Tomb · The Royal Treasure
The Complete Tutankhamun: The King · The Tomb · The Royal Treasure
by C. N. Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars All about Tut, 19 Mar 2011
As an artist with a particular attraction to Ancient Egypt I wanted a book that covered King Tut in far more detail than usual. I wanted to be able to see and gain a better understanding of all the items found in the tomb, not just the gleaming gold treasures but the other pieces that were associated with the life of this boy Pharaoh. On opening this book I discovered wonderful things. Finely written and well presented this publication covers about as much as you could need.

Glastonbury [DVD]
Glastonbury [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julien Temple
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Glastonbury - Life and Times, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Glastonbury [DVD] (DVD)
I have never been to the Glastonbury Festival and so for me this allowed me to feel a part of something I have so far missed. This is truly a work of art in itself in as much as the DVD captures the fine essence of the festival from its beginnings to the present day in all its glory and in all its mud! It is a tribute to the unique culture and art that has evolved within this countryside setting, presenting the joys and the frustrations of all involved over the years. What makes the DVD special is not just the presentation of the stage artists but also the scenes of the millions of people "who are" equally its greatest contributors.

Modelling the Head in Clay (Practical Craft Books)
Modelling the Head in Clay (Practical Craft Books)
by Bruno Lucchesi

4.0 out of 5 stars Sculpting a Head, 19 Mar 2011
This was my first book on sculpting a head so naturally I was a little nervous as to whether it would give me all the information I needed to allow me to "improve" my existing work. I was very pleased it did. Each artist has their own way of going about things and in this book the whole process of working on the head is covered - a single project within being as shown on the cover. The essential need in setting out the facial features is well recorded as well as all the more subtle attributes which cause the model to take on a more life-like appearance. The whole process is presented in step by step images with short helpful descriptions. In particular those features such as ears and adding realism to the hair was most useful indeed.

We Sailed from Brixham ... An account of cruises to the Red Sea and the West Coast of Africa. With 54 illustrations including a portrait
by Claude Beddington
Edition: Unknown Binding

3.0 out of 5 stars Catchalot, 19 Mar 2011
When I was very young my late father told me that when he was just a boy he watched the Catchalot as it sailed from Brixham. On its return the Captain gave him a gift of a small African chest with lots of draws in it. I bought the book to see what else I could find out about this amazing journey and the family tree. The book is a full account of the voyage offering a unique insight into the specially commissioned ship as well as covering the life and times of people on the African continent as seen through the eyes of those that went there in the first half of the 20th Century.

The Complete Valley of the Kings: Tombs and Treasures of Egypt's Greatest Pharaohs
by C. N. Reeves

5.0 out of 5 stars Valley of the Kings rediscovered, 19 Mar 2011
This book was all that I wanted it to be and much more. Packed with good information on all the tombs with colour and b&w images of the well known treasures as well as the lesser known items. The book is well laid out with clear diagrams of the tombs and covers all the latest discoveries at the time it was published. This is the sort of book you can pick up and read in small sessions taking in the archaeology and the art as well as the recent historical setting of the valley in modern times. Ideal for all ages. I really feel like I have almost been there now.

Wonderful Things: Uncovering the World's Great Archaeological Treasures
Wonderful Things: Uncovering the World's Great Archaeological Treasures
by Paul Bahn

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasures from History, 19 Mar 2011
An ideal book to pick up and browse for inspiration. Plenty of good images covering a wide selection of well chosen items from a wide time span with good historical information. Obviously not all can be included in just one book and so my only disappointment was that it was not three times thicker!

Last Voices From Heaven
Last Voices From Heaven
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Songs of the Ancient Pacific, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Last Voices From Heaven (Audio CD)
I was first made aware of this album through the TV documentary of the same. The composer risks his life on several occasions on a quest that takes him through the Pacific in search of the last remaining songs and often sacred chants of remote tribes; places where the modern world and where modern music has not yet taken hold. This unique project provided a very moving account of this journey to discover new sounds, win the trust of people, make new friends and to overcome the forces of nature. The resulting music album has really captured the atmosphere and the ancient melodies well resulting in a very pleasant listening experience which I highly recommend. The album itself sensitively blends the raw sounds with some more modern instrumental mixing. One of my favorite chill out Albums I have to say!

Ashanti Gold
Ashanti Gold
by Edward S. Ayensu

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you ever wanted to know about Gold, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Ashanti Gold (Paperback)
Although the book was initially hard to get hold of I was well rewarded with a dazzling array of images and good facts on this noble metal. As an artist I wanted a book that covered gold in its entirety, seeing it as mother nature has created it as well as the beautiful forms that it has taken on in the hands of people. I wanted to know how its value and appeal has attracted and influenced people and what it means in our modern age. I was not disappointed.

Modelling Heads and Faces in Clay
Modelling Heads and Faces in Clay
by Berit Hildre

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Face Sculpture Book, 19 Mar 2011
I bought several books about sculpting faces and figures but this one really stands out from the rest. The author really made me feel like I was in touch with the sculpture in every aspect, like the creation is a real living person. The descriptions throughout are clear, detailed and easy to follow and yet they reveal so much without saying more than was needed. And all the times when I was thinking ahead to the next question I found that when I turned the page the answer was there. I really felt after reading that my own sculptures can only get better and more realistic. So many aspects of the face are covered including the emotions and how the muscles work that come together to form expressions, without which often my models although good lacked that realism that I really want too achieve.