Profile for Doctor Pint > Reviews

Content by Doctor Pint

Doctor Pint "Doc" (UK)

Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by iHeadphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Super phone, 31 July 2014
I'm not a geek where mobiles are concerned, I simply want a phone that makes calls, sends texts and does the basics efficiently, or at least that's what I thought. Having purchased this baby though I now am conversant with apps, google photos and a load of other stuff that make owning an android phone a really interesting experience. Okay, so you can't boost the built in memory but, as I don't use it as an mp3, player what's there is plenty large enough and although some have been critical of the camera it seems fine to me for what I want it for. If you're looking for a mobile that packs a much bigger punch than it's price suggests then go for one of these. You won't be disappointed.

The Complete 'Folker' and 'Frollicks' Albums
The Complete 'Folker' and 'Frollicks' Albums

3.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia or great music?, 23 Dec 2012
You have to be careful when reviewing albums that have nostalgia value. Sometimes the happy memories they provide become confused with the quality of the music; that said these two albums are pretty representative of Fred's live performances of which I was lucky enough to see several during my student years in Bristle. Fred was a delightful bloke and a fund of anecdotes and stories, some of which he incorporated into his act. The offerings here range from the silly, (Bristol Buses) and the witty (Vicar and the Frog) to the serious (Bruton Town) showing the range of Fred's talents. He could also pick a mean guitar as demonstrated on the Keith Christmas composition Examinations Rag. It would have been nice if some of his between-song patter had also been recorded to give a flavour of just what a funny and entertaining artist he was. My favourite here is the Adge Cutler number, Thee's Got'n Wur Thee Casn't Back'n, Asn't? a wonderful little ditty that gets full value out of the Bristle accent. Some of the material though, IHMO, doesn't do justice to the man and personally I think you could probably get one really good 12 track album from the two with some judicious track selection.However if it's nostalgia you want purchase these, get yourself some scrump and simply enjoy.

Don't Tell I Tell Ee
Don't Tell I Tell Ee
Offered by " Simply Mad About Music "

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh arrr!, 23 Dec 2012
This review is from: Don't Tell I Tell Ee (Audio CD)
This is not the greatest collection of songs to showcase the talents of Adge Cutler but there is just about enough here to keep the aficionado of the great man happy. I like the live, zider-drenched atmosphere and a couple of Adge's finest lyrics are given an airing. What a pity Amazon don't have any samples available or you could laugh along with Virtue et Industrial or Don't Tell I Tell Ee. Ooh aarrr!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2013 12:20 AM GMT

Ragged Kingdom
Ragged Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Knockout!, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: Ragged Kingdom (Audio CD)
This album brings together Britain's foremost female interpreter of traditional songs and a band who are basically journeymen of the folk/rock genre for a second album 21 years after Freedom and Rain. It is also,IMHO,very, very good. I can't remember the last time an album had such an immediate effct on me, (it was probably Steelye Span's Please to See the King or Sergeant Pepper as a matter of fact), and it has rarely been off the stereo since I purchased it.
June Tabor has a truly unique, deep voice with a timbre that lends itself particularly to melancholy material but here, with the backing of the Oysterband, she slips off the shackles and delivers a wonderful selection of songs ranging from the traditional such as Judas to the contemporary That Was My Veil. For me the outstanding track, (from an outstanding album), is the interpretation of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart which is both beautiful and moving. Alan Prosser's vocals work nicely with Tabor's simple yet rich delivery,and instrumentally the band is superb and very tight. In fact both parties benefit from this collabaration and are greater than the sum of their parts, which is as it should be!
I can't recommend this album too highly and would politely suggest you give it a listen.

No Turning Back
No Turning Back

4.0 out of 5 stars This girl's got it., 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: No Turning Back (Audio CD)
Whilst this album in no way captures the sheer energy of Imelda's live performances it is as good as it gets at present. I was not particularly a fan until I saw this diminutive Irish songstress in concert and was so impressed that I bought this album right there and then. The recording, to me, has an immediacy and energy about it that suits the rockabilly sensibilities of the band. The songs range from the swinging 'Dealing with the Devil', to the gentle 'Once More' each showcasing this girl's great voice and the competence of the musicians. If I had to pick just one track it would be, perhaps strangely, 'The End of the World', a lilting ballad that is perfectly suited to May's vocal style. It is a great pity that this album is currently unavailable as I think it contains some of her best material.

Blood and Honey
Blood and Honey
Offered by cdbear1

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous but very rich, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Blood and Honey (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I love traditional music, I love acapella singing and, having been lucky enough to see The Devil's Interval performing at Sidmouth, I love them, but....as an album I can't listen to the whole thing without feeling a bit saturated. Listening to it is rather like drinking ten pints of some flowery beer, three or four are great but any more and it starts to taste a little sickly. That said songs like the beautiful 'May Carol', `Silver Dagger' and the gruesome 'Long Lankin' are quite breathtakingly performed with Jim Causley's deep and fruity voice perfectly complementing the Lauren and Emily's top end vocals. I'd definitely recommend this album to you with the caveat that it is rather rich fare and probably needs to be dipped into rather than listened to `en bloc'.

Panic Grass & Fever Few
Panic Grass & Fever Few

4.0 out of 5 stars Accomplished Debut, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Panic Grass & Fever Few (Audio CD)
I have to admit I don't know a thing about Ian King except that he makes exceedingly good records, (well just one at present). Basically this is English traditional music which has had a couple of tablespoons of reggae, a helping of brass and some slick production to give the album a highly contemporary sound. I don't do dancing but I know exactly what one of the other reviewers means and it's not white hankerchiefs and bells stuff. 'Death and the Lady' is given the treatment and emerges with a jungle sound but retains its doom-laden feel. The gorgeous 'Isle of France' is transformed into an almost jaunty reggae ballad and somehow all of this works. King also includes one his own compositions 'By George', that I'm not quite sure about, but it sits quite comfortably alongside the album's other material. Overall I think it's worth the outlay for a record that makes a brave attempt to do something different and that largely succeeds.

Strange Histories
Strange Histories
Offered by dave3006

4.0 out of 5 stars In the Tradition, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Strange Histories (Audio CD)
As one of the older reviewers, in my life, I have been fortunate enough to listen to many great performers of traditional British music such as Nic Jones and Martin Carthy. This lad certainly deserves his place in the genre. It's an uncomplicated album of folk song that Raynard has put his own stamp on. From a slightly dour version of the ubiquitous 'Outlandish Knight' to a sprightly 'The Overlander' he skips through the canon producing some pretty melodies and nimble finger picking. I personally love 'The Grand Conversation of Napoleon' which really ought to become a staple in the diet of other singers. He has a deep, pleasant voice that is well-suited to the material and I am a little surprised that he has not followed this album up with a second. Certainly I would recommend this to anyone with an interest in traditional music.

Through Low Light And Trees
Through Low Light And Trees

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Debut, 27 Sep 2010
If you have a penchant for haunting, beautiful, ethereal music, then the Smoke Fairies are made for you. I became aware of the duo last year through 'Living With Ghosts' and 'Frozen Heart', two tracks that have etched themselves indelibly on my memory with their cyclical guitar licks and fragile vocals . It was, therefore, with some anticipation that I awaited their debut CD and I'm pleased to say it does not disappoint. The album is filled with well-crafted songs and gorgeous harmonies that are guaranteed to maintain your interest. I did notice that their bluesy guitar sound has mellowed slightly and is not quite as prominent as on their earlier EP but it's a minor carp. I can't wait to go and see them live but until then I'll be more than content with this truly original and stunning album.

The Noah's Ark Trap
The Noah's Ark Trap

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a great album, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Noah's Ark Trap (Audio CD)
I was prescient enough, (or simply lucky), back in 1972 to buy a copy of this album in a Woolworths, (remember them), record sale. It still bears the red label "Sale £1". What a purchase, it has been played so many times that it is beginning to show the signs of wear, scratches and pops but even so the haunting, beautiful quality of Nic's fabulous voice rises to the fore. This in combination with some fine guitar and fiddle playing makes this album one of the finest English traditonal records to ever be recorded. It even includes the legendary Bill Leader playing triangle on Jackie Tar! Sadly, as others have pointed out, it is unobtainable at present, a heinous crime! I have copied my knackered vinyl to CD, complete with crackles, but would jump at the opportunity of purchasing a re-release. Here's to hoping that whoever is holding the original tapes relents and allows this to happen.