Profile for P. N. Hayden > Reviews

Content by P. N. Hayden

P. N. Hayden (London United Kingdom)

Great Violinists 1900 - 1913
Great Violinists 1900 - 1913

5.0 out of 5 stars To counter nonsense in review from American amazon, 22 Jun 2012
The american reviewer of these discs has not listened to these recordings. I know the recordings but not this particular remastering. It would be helpful if some one could compare them with the pearl version.

I have given 5 stars because of the historical importance of the recordings.
I have the following comments on his review.

I can imagine what it might mean to listen to Wieniawski. Unfortunately he never made a recording!

You say " And despite the acoustic of these times -pitifully- was the most desired, just to think you or me are able to listen these icons of the violin, should justify plainly the inversion. "

I have no idea what you mean.

Gushing reviews like this are no help to anyone.

If you havent heard these discs why write a review? If you have why not tell us something about what the sound is like as compared to say the Pearl remasterings?

BTW i am unaware of a spanish fantasy by Lalo i think you mean the symphonie espagnol.

Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen (Recorded Live At The Bayreuth Festival 2008)
Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen (Recorded Live At The Bayreuth Festival 2008)

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine recording, 24 Feb 2010
I hesitate to disagree with the other reviewers of this set. I do not find any of the performers "unlistenable to" nor do I find any of the singers inadequate. I do not expect any recording to be anything more than a record of what was expressed at a particular time. There is no such thing in my view as a definitive recording. One can try can compare this with previous recordings but that is likely to involve some highly subjective views which as readers of reviews we are unable to interrogate. I will simply say that, as other reviewers found, the sound is extremely beautiful, the detail in playing exceptional (lots of things I had not heard before - many notes given their correct value for the first time). If you have other sets of the ring this will be a performance whose insights and range will sit worthily alongside them. If this is your first ring then you will not be disappointed nor will you be misled or given a false idea of this great music drama. It is perhaps a set for playing straight through rather than choosing favourite passages as Thielemann seems to think about long term structure rather than making it a series of strung together highlights.

I listen to the rings of the 40 and 50s with a sense of what I missed and I thrill at the voices of Frida Leider, Melchior et al. but there were many singers singing this music at that time and there were other approaches to singing Wagner (Traubel Leider Flagstad surely dont interpret the music in the same way, nor do they sound the same). My listening tells me that current singers and conductors have just as many interesting things to say about this music as ever they did in the past. It is a testament to the depth and richness of the music that there can be so many different approaches. Rather than bemoan the inadequacies of modern singers ( a trope itself as other reviewers have acknowledged) let us celebrate the achievement of this set. In my view Thielemann and his cast presents this very human work in a powerful and illuminating way.

I think that the price may put people off and if you are thinking of buying a ring for the first time you might want to consider the fine recordings conducted by Hartmut Haenchen which are available separately.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2010 6:41 PM BST