Profile for P. Morriss > Reviews

Content by P. Morriss

P. Morriss (Hampshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Traitor, Hero, Spy (reissued)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly gripping story, 22 Jun 2014
This is a truly gripping story, it would have made a great work of fiction, but being the story of a wartime man made it incredible. The book is well written and one of those 'I will put it down in a bit, maybe' types.

Audible Audiobooks
Audible Audiobooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent audio quality and easy to use, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Audible Audiobooks (App)
I have racked up a lot of hours listening to books using the Audible app, the sound quality of the books have all been good so far (I have +/- 215 books).

The application is easy to use and very user-friendly, it gives you options to chapter select, bookmark, but, it doesn't give you the option to buy books from it's store... this is one piece of functionality that is missing!

OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 4.3 (8th Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK book, but web guides are a lot cheaper and proved more helpful, 22 Jun 2014
This book has been touted by a lot of websites as the 'de facto' OpenGL book, it is OK, but, it has the tendency to introduce a section of code, without really explaining, resulting in me having to search the internet for help.

My second criticism is that it relies heavily on 3rd party library such as GLUT, which isn't always what you want.

Lastly, the kindle book has a few formatting issues. A few of the links sent me to blank pages or to an incorrect page.

Tiger Tank Manual: Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger 1 Ausf.E (Sdkfz 181) (Owner's Workshop Manual)
by Michael Hayton

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion for a tank enthusiast, 21 Jun 2014
I brought this book after a visit to Bovington Tank Museum, Dorset. This book was recommended during a talk by one of the museum helpers and after reading it, I can understand why.

The book, in my option, is a little on the thin side at 160 pages, a lot is known about the Tiger 1 after Tiger 131 was captured during the war.

Kingston Ultimate 32GB 600X Compact Flash Card
Kingston Ultimate 32GB 600X Compact Flash Card

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CF card, 21 Jun 2014
This is an excellent, solid built Compact flash card, which I am currently using in a Canon 50D DSLR. The read/write speed match the stated speeds very closely and I am more than happy to trust it on a photo shoot.

Firefly
Firefly

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for all Firefly fans, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Firefly (Audio CD)
A must have for all fans of the Firefly series, the haunting/beautiful music used throughout the short lived series really brought it to life.

I can't think of any real fault, if I was being picky, the cover looks a little poor, almost like it was a second generation copy from a copy, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the CD.

Stagg WIS-A30 Saxophone Stand
Stagg WIS-A30 Saxophone Stand
Offered by PlayRecord Net

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stand, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Stagg WIS-A30 Saxophone Stand
Nice stand which folds down for easy portability, my only criticism of it is that the block which the thumb rest sits isn't massive and I find I sometimes need to resettle the Sax.

T2 Lens Ring Adapter Mount to Canon EOS EF 1D 5D 6D 7D,50D 60D 70D,1100D 1200D 100D 700D 650D 600D 550D 500D SLR & DSLR Cameras.
Offered by BV-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 27 Oct 2013
It is a solid piece of metal, well engineered and well manufactured. I am using it with a Vixen VMC110L 4 inch Reflector Telescope, I had no issues.

I would recommend it if you are starting astrophotography and want to take photos.

Vixen VMC110L 4 inch Reflector Telescope Grab and Go Astronomy Kit
Vixen VMC110L 4 inch Reflector Telescope Grab and Go Astronomy Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter telescope, 27 Oct 2013
I spent an age looking at which telescope to buy, this eventually appealed because of a) The price was decent b) excellent reviews and c) reliable name, I was definitely not disappointed.

The telescope is designed for beginners, but it came with two eye pieces and is easy to use gives a sharp image. One of the major advantages is that the telescope supports two eye pieces, which is ideal for astrophotography. You can buy a T2 lens ring adaptor which allows you fit a Canon or Nikon DSLR to the tube and take photos of what you see.

My negative comment is that the tripod feels sturdy when deployed, but the materials used feel flimsy and cheap.

Learn As You Play Saxophone (repackaged edition with CD) - Learn as you play series - for saxophone (BH 12469)
by Peter Wastall

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 30 Jun 2013
I brought this as an absolute novice when it came to playing either a sax or an instrument, it was recommended to my as a good beginners guide, which it is!

The lessons are progressive, yet easy to understand and follow. For me the biggest plus has been that the book does not make assumptions of prior knowledge.

My one and only gripe is that I believe the accompanying CD could be better. I was recommended this book and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4