Profile for Mrs. W > Reviews

Content by Mrs. W

Mrs. W "huge bookworm" (South Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace series Book 5)
Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace series Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars A real disappointment, 13 July 2015
I have read all the Grace books up to this one and found them entertainig and sometimes quite gripping. Sadly, this one was neither. There is no character development for the ones we already know, who seem to be permanently living the same day with the same dynamic and even dialogue. The book-specific sketches that pass for people are one-dimensional and deeply unlikeable throughout, especially the mother of the sick girl - I even preferred the (really badly cliched) evil Rumanian nurse and blonde German baddie to her. I know there are serious topics here, but no justice is done to them either. I shan't be buying the rest of the series. It's a shame. But thank goodness there's still Banks and Rebus out there.

How Should You Vote?: A Brief Guide to Politics
How Should You Vote?: A Brief Guide to Politics

5.0 out of 5 stars A very handy pre-election book - short, to the point and interesting, 9 April 2015
If you're interested in politics, this is a good read. If you're bored of the whole noisy lot of politicians, this is an even better read. The author takes you through all the things that are important in your life in a really straightforward way, and shows you where the parties are on each topic, to help you decide who might best suit you. No side, no jargon, just food for thought and a good book to have for the next four weeks while we're being thrown all sorts of messages during the election campaign.

Asics Women's Gel 180Tr W White/Navy/Silver Trainer S354L 0193 8 UK
Asics Women's Gel 180Tr W White/Navy/Silver Trainer S354L 0193 8 UK
Offered by Millets Sport

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trainers, 14 May 2014
I have been using these (and their previous similar model) for over three years now, for indoor interval training. They are really comfortable, with good cushioning and ankle support. My only complaint is that they are getting really expensive - they've gone up from about £35 to almost £70 lately. I know it's important to have good trainers to work out, so it seems to me that manufacturers and retailers should be encouraging us to buy, not making the cost prohibitive.

iPad Retina Display Fast Charger 2.1 amp High Quality Light Weight USB Mains Charger
Offered by iQualTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality product delivered promptly, 20 Jan. 2014
This charger is robust and very useful. I was disappointed to have to purchase another iPad charger so soon after buying the tablet, but I'm sure this one will last longer. It was delivered earlier than the last date given despite New Year bank holiday and a weekend in between. Would recommend.

Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

5.0 out of 5 stars Another must-have from Davina, Jackie and Mark, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Davina - Fit in 15 [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, I should say I've been doing Davina DVDs for over three years now, and have grown to love them all the fitter I've got. I started off using one or two and combining the workouts, then added another until I got used to it and really mix up the workouts, and so on. I didn't start doing Davina Intense until September this year, but I absolutely love it now. I must admit to having had my doubts about the usefulness of 15-minute sections on this DVD, but having done all of them yesterday, I now believe they work!

All the workouts include moves that will be familiar to regular users of the DVDs, combined with new ones. The cueing is very tight to the change of movement, so you really have to concentrate. I really like the cardio, legs and arms sections, but a dodgy knee prevented me from doing all the core exercises that involved press-up position and changing leg direction, so I'll probably stick to abs from Intense, Power of 3 and High Energy Five. However, I can see myself doing the first three constantly for quite a while.

Overall, this is ideal if you don't have much time, and you will work up a sweat whichever one/s you do! Thanks again, Davina, Jackie and Mark, for the inspiration to get fit, keep fit and become totally addicted to these workouts.
LW

Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum Book 19)
Notorious Nineteen (Stephanie Plum Book 19)

4.0 out of 5 stars Familiar but fun, 25 Sept. 2013
It's true that the later novels in this series have felt a bit like deja vu, but this one redeemed itself compared to the last three or four in that it made me laugh out loud again. The formula is the same - Stephanie is skint and is rubbish at her job and can't choose between her two men. But the bail skips she's hunting in this novel have a bit more character, and there are some genuinely funny moments. Morelli and Ranger are as sexy as ever, and all in all, it's a rollicking good romp. But please can we get some resolution at some point? Just asking as a fan of the whole series.

Gorilla Sports Vinyl Hand Weights 2 x 5Kg
Gorilla Sports Vinyl Hand Weights 2 x 5Kg
Offered by Gorilla Sports GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 1 July 2013
These weights are excellent quality and were delivered promptly. They have a good grip even when the workout gets sweaty. Not cheap, but definitely worth the money. Would recommend.

Forever So
Forever So

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for one song, fell in love with the CD!, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Forever So (Audio CD)
I admit with no shame that I first heard the track 'Hunter' on Home & Away, and simply had to track it down. It's a haunting melody with lyrics that really resonated with what I'm going through at the moment. I have listened to it hundreds of times and am still not fed up of it. Since I have it in the car, I've also let the CD run, and I must say that I consider Husky quite a find. There are inevitable echoes of Crowded House, but that's a good thing, especially as it's in the harmonies and the melodies. Not every one is a favourite, but even those one or two are better than your average playlist. If you buy it, play track 5 first. You'll be happy you did. PS I was surprised not to see an advisory note on it, but since I don't have children, I didn't care!

Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD]
Davina - Ultimate Target (New for 2012) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from Davina, 14 Dec. 2011
First, let me say how much I love Davina's DVDs. I have some gripes with this one, but small ones and kept till the end. The main headline is: I love this DVD already! I have trouble with my knee, so have been unable to use Body Buff and Davina Fit, but I've been using High Energy Five (mixed with Power of Three) for 18 months, generally every other day. I have lost 5 stone and am fit and happy and in better shape than for a long time(I'm 46).

The Fat Burner and Boot Camp are really excellent. I don't normally do 'routines' like the Fat Burner because I'm so uncoordinated, but I can follow this one, and I'm getting better at it after only three sessions! Boot Camp is awesome. Because I've done Davina's stuff for so long, I can identify the potential problems for my knee and do a low-impact versions of tough moves e.g. moving squat kick (I do squats to side kick).

The short sections are very good, especially the Shoulders (aargh) and Bikini Bum. I can already feel the difference after less than a week, though I'll probably pop back to High Energy Five for a change (I do Warm-up, Legs, Pump, Boxing (with weights, which is great fun!) and Abs. I'll stick to the cooldown from Power of Three, though, as I really dislike yoga stretches, and the ones on the others are too short at only 5 mins or so.

Minor gripes: the switch between moves on Bingo Wings is far too short and the queuing and counting is not clear enough; the queuing is also not as clear during the main routines as the other DVDs, though that may just be me getting used to this one; the mat work at the end of Boot Camp feels unchallenging, but possibly because I won't do yoga 'swoops' and just do press-ups (please don't shout at me, I'm just being honest!).

Highly, highly recommended. Please buy it if you like Davina, you won't be disappointed. PS Also, another DVD called 'Hour of Power' is fab - I alternate that with Davina sometimes, though it feels like two-timing her!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2011 10:51 AM GMT

Hour of Power The Ultimate Fitness Class [DVD] [2010]
Hour of Power The Ultimate Fitness Class [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Rajko
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 7 Aug. 2011
I'd been doing Davina DVDs (Power of Three then High Energy Five) for just under a year when I bought HoP. I'd lost five stone and with another two to go, needed a new challenge. Well, I got one. Intriguingly - and differently to most fitness DVDs I've tried - the first time I did the warm-up and main workout was quite easy. Subsequently, it got harder and harder and I nearly gave up when, last week, I did the whole thing without having to use the recovery options for the first time. I cannot tell you how chuffed I was!

Because of knee problems, I can't do anything that uses the joint in any other way than a hinge, i.e. facing forward, so the constant movement on the toes is perfect for me. Now I do this warm-up and main workout, followed by the boxing section of Davina's HE5, then abs from either Davina,depending how much time I have, then Po3 cooldown.

I'm looking forward to getting better and better at HoP with my present 1kg weights, then moving up in a few months. I'm aiming at getting to target weight by Christmas, and I'm convinced Rajko will allow me to do this. One day, I may even try the abs section, which I tried once and got half a minute in before going back to Davina, but that's me - don't blame HoP. Now I've seen some of the reviews which say there are beginner options, I may give it another go. BTW, great community feel to these reviews, apart from the naysayers. Nice one, fellow-Amazonians!

Page: 1 | 2