Profile for charlie k > Reviews

Content by charlie k

charlie k

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense, 4 Aug 2014
Absolutely brilliant read! Reads like a War & Peace for the 21st century. I don't post many book reviews,good or bad but I felt compelled to. It's one of those books that you'll be disappointed to finish. I know I was! I can't wait to read the sequel....

Noble House (The Asian Saga)
Noble House (The Asian Saga)
by James Clavell

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic!!, 7 Jan 2014
Don't be put off by the size of this book. It's one of his longest but it's one of his best. There are so many sub plots and underhand dealings going on here you may actually lose track but don't lose heart. If you want a good story with plenty of characters and a disaster thrown in for good measure then this certainly is one of Clavell's finest yet. It's a shame he hasn't written more but he passed away in 1994 but when I finish reading one of his books I feel a little disappointed as I know he only wrote 6 in the Asian Saga and I've read 5! I'm putting off reading the last one(I don't know why) but I know I'll be disappointed as he's wrote nothing else

Berlin: The Downfall 1945
Berlin: The Downfall 1945

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Horrific, 7 Jan 2014
I'm almost finished reading this book and as with his previous book "Stalingrad" it's full of details and facts. The narrative accounts whether anonymous or actually cited provide for a brilliant insight into life during the last days of the war. Vasily Grossman is often mentioned as he was a wartime correspondent but also a brilliant author. I've read "Life And Fate' which to me is the WWII version of "War And Peace". It was banned in Russia for decades with copies of it being confiscated by the authorities and never made it's way west probably smuggled out in the 1960's but it's a great read. Getting back to Antony Beevor's book in hand apart from being a kindle edition the maps are a bit hard to read but take nothing away from the facts. Once again he's served a feast of history as it should be told

Stalingrad
Stalingrad

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Stalingrad (Kindle Edition)
If you like reading not only military history but in general a gritty tale about one of the fiercest and bloodiest battles fought in Europe during the Second World War. A great read and wonderfully researched book

Hearts in Atlantis
Hearts in Atlantis

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Sep 2013
I read a similar type of book: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell which was a recommended read. I loved it then soon after I read this. I thought it was just as good. I've read Cloud Atlas twice maybe I should read this again! The irony of it all is: I recommended 'Hearts in Atlantis' to the same person who is not a Stephen King fan but he loved this!

Blaze
Blaze

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Blaze (Kindle Edition)
Although it's a short book I still enjoyed it. We'll probably meet people like Blaze even at first we don't realise it; or knew someone at school like him. You've got to show a modicum of empathy for him. Stephen King does it again. Tells a story brilliantly. In my opinion if Dickens was alive he'd be very jealous.....or else he'd be a huge fan!

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing!, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I was hooked from cover to cover. There's only a few books, fact or fiction I'd read again purely for enjoyment. "The God Delusion" is definitely one of these. Dawkins a highly intelligent individual and it shows in his writing here. I love a good God or no God argument and he makes a very good case for"No God" here. I'd never read anything by him before and I never even knew he was an atheist but nowadays even saying that can get you in trouble as people won't warm to you or some pedantic people will say:" Hang on you're an atheist which means you believe that there is no God but it also means you believe in something!" Anyway I really enjoyed the book but devoutly religious people should avoid, the might learn something!

It
It

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky!, 13 April 2013
This review is from: It (Kindle Edition)
I read this book years ago and it had a massive impact on me,so much so that he has some books I'd read again and 'IT' is on that list. I've seen the film and enjoyed it as usual nowhere near as good as the book. Some may disagree but have they actually read it or gave up because of the length?
I'm slightly derailing from my main point and that is Stephen King retains his place among the greatest storytellers of all time

Gulliver's Travels
Gulliver's Travels

3.0 out of 5 stars Escapist, 11 April 2013
Johnathan Swift's tales are more like someone who has a dream every night and in these dreams they end up in a different place. Here is a gifted writer who should have written a lot but apparently history tells us if we learn anything from this book as it may seem like a children story collection but there is a lot of satire that is why I read it as an adult but it could be better and at times it seems a ship's log recording his travels a bit too much but other than that it okay

The Stand
The Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Stand (Kindle Edition)
First things first. I'm a huge Stephen King fan so forgive me if I sound biased. I had been wanting to read this book for a long time but I was put off by its size! Considering that I've read bigger books such as 'War & Peace' which is listed as the 7th longest novel ever. Although the books are completely different they have some similarities. One reviewer said about 'War & Peace':'It's not just a book you read but you also live.' The same applies to 'The Stand'. OK,it's long. I tell you this don't let that put you off. I've read loads of Stephen King books but for me is the best I've read to date. If WAR & PEACE is Tolstoy's masterpiece then THE STAND is most certainly King's. He is the only author I've read that when I purchase of his books I look at the index for the books I haven't read! I've reading his books since I was about 13 and I never tire of him.I remember reading Stephen King's own introduction and I vaguely recall him saying something about about reading this short introduction before parting with money as the edition I read was the unabridged edition. Once again I'm not a fan of lengthy books but they don't daunt me.
In an interview once Stephen King once said: He'll probably be always be remembered for the 3 "S"'s; The Shining,Salem's Lot and The Stand. He'll certainly be remembered for The Stand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3