Profile for Lewis J. King > Reviews

Content by Lewis J. King

Lewis J. King "Severian_Random" (Harrogate)

Paracord Fusion Ties - Volume 2: Survival Ties, Pouches, Bars, Snake Knots, and Sinnets

5.0 out of 5 stars Expands on previous., 19 Nov 2013
A brilliant book, with exceptional instructions. It builds upon previous ideas and brings in new and wonderful knots. I would definitely recommend the previous books as they do provide earlier knots and a good basis for slightly more advanced ideas. Though this is certainly not a requirement.
Excellent as always, eagerly awaiting the next volume!

Paracord Fusion Ties - Volume 1: Straps, Slip Knots, Falls, Bars, and Bundles
Paracord Fusion Ties - Volume 1: Straps, Slip Knots, Falls, Bars, and Bundles

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle treat that builds upon his first book., 13 Nov 2012
I first found J.D. Lenzen on youtube, his videos entitled TIAT (Tying It All Together) were in one word, inspirational. I have completed every single one of his ties, most of them dozens of times over.

This book is fantastic, especially for anyone that likes the more practical or wearable ties that he has produced. Loads of my favourites from his youtube channel are on here, though I am eagerly awaiting the next volume for more.
The instructions are clear and precise, easy to read through and the pictures are great. I am ecstatic that I was able to get it on the Kindle as now I can take the ties pretty much everywhere with me, especially as I can use it on my Kindle phone app.

The knots range from bracelets to keyring fobs, starting with more historical knots like the Solomon Bar and then showcases his own designs and creations. Many of which I have tied myself, I am currently wearing a shark jaw bone bracelet in green and purple.

I especially like the foreword by Stormdrane, another fantastic knot enthusiast.

If you like knots, creating bracelets and the like as gifts, this is a must. Great if you want some monkey fists as well!

Excellent work Mr Lenzen, roll on the next volume.

Shadow And Betrayal: Book One of The Long Price
Shadow And Betrayal: Book One of The Long Price
by Daniel Abraham

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow build, but a stunning story., 23 Feb 2011
I have to say I loved this book, or duo of books, they were not the fastest action paced books I've read, but I think these books would have been spoiled that way.

It's more about the relationships, the desire, the manifestation of godly power and the cost of this. It really is a slow build, it's more of a proper story than a blockbuster film.

It's also about how people react and respond to each other, a pose states a million things, whereas the Galts are a very different group of people.

The magic system alone is worth reading about, magic is brought into the world by an idea, that idea is personified and then embodied, if it goes wrong, there's a price to pay. But that barely hints at the power, the magic is as powerful as god hood.

Read this book, enjoy it slowly, revel in the next book.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since cuneiform!, 27 Sep 2010
I absolutely love my kindle, I have far too many books taking up space and weight in my house and try to take a suitcase full whenever I go on holiday. No more!

Now, I just take my kindle. Which I've loaded with hundreds of FREE public domain books, wonderfully gotten either from Amazon or directed to sites that offer them. It's great, at first it took me a while to get used to it, trying to turn a page and realising I just needed to press a button.

But, now I absolutely love it, the best thing I have ever probably bought.

Plus: I AM TIRED OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE COST OF EBOOKS ON AMAZON!
Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Here's why:

Go to ANY other online book store and check out the prices of ebooks. Wow, they are expensive and I don't mean £4 for a book, I mean full hard back price, for books that have been out for ages.

Amazon is CHEAP! Comparative to a real life book in your hands, yes it is sometimes galling, but compared to every other shop out there trying to sell ebooks, Amazon = Thank you!

For example:

'The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest' Stieg Larsson. (fantastic books!)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium Trilogy)
Amazon price: £2.68
Random House: £17
Barnes & Noble: £6.35
Waterstones: £5.59
Borders: £6.35
Whsmith: £3.20
Ebooks.com: £9.50

Yes, when you look at it like that and ACTUALLY compare prices, I can see why everyone considers Amazon to be so expensive. (Sarcasm)

Plus, think of the petrol or postage you save by downloading a book to you Kindle in all of 30 seconds! That alone makes it worthwhile to me.

The fact is, if you buy a book from a shop, you'll pay £7.99 for a paperback regardless these days. Anything less than that surely means it's a good price.

So, the cost of the kindle: £150 for the 3g version...with that, I could buy 18 books at normal retail price. Instead, I bought a kindle and downloaded Treasure Island, Frankenstein, War and Peace and about 200 other books for about £153. Hmmm, Kindle wins.
Now if only they'll start selling digital copies of manga...

Red Dwarf Complete Collection [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Red Dwarf Complete Collection [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Craig Charles
Offered by Moref Designs

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful...but american?!, 29 May 2007
I love this show, tongue in cheek and wonderful memories of shouting smeg head at school. A brilliant testament to british comedy. But....why is the full set coming over from america??? Surely they are the ones having to import to them. Otherwise, get the entire red dwarf. But from the uk.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 4:00 AM GMT

Over Sea, Under Stone (Puffin Books)
Over Sea, Under Stone (Puffin Books)
by Susan Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, for an epic series., 20 Feb 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it's following series. Although it does have a weak start and at times may be a little hard to get in to, it is very much worth reading.

The next books in the series just keep getting better and better until you realise that although these seem like ordinary kids, they are in fact among the ranks of Frodo, Pug, and Harry Potter as they begin to experience their destiny. Magic and evil deeds abound but with a wonderful British historical viewpoint. Great for any age, read this, then find the rest of the series.

Cloud of Sparrows
Cloud of Sparrows
by Takashi Matsuoka

4.0 out of 5 stars An incredible insight., 12 Jan 2003
This review is from: Cloud of Sparrows (Hardcover)
First of all, I picked this book up by chance and I have never been more glad to have done so. I usually read works by authors such as Tolkien, Eddings, Tad Williams, Wilbur Smith and Robert Jordan. But this book (Cloud of Sparrows) is after only 100 pages in the top five of my favourites.
I cannot describe this book in anyway that it deserves. It is Takashi Matsuoka's first book, and is a tale of when East meets West. Filled with glorious honour of the Samurai, the devious Ninja as well as the gunslingers and quick draws of the west.
The fights and battles are told in a way that will make you feel alive within the book, though the best aspect of it has to be...you are not bogged down by continous prose. Every second is filled with battle, intrigue or sensuality.
A real insight to the culture of Japan and America in the 19th century and how different they can be.
But be warned, if you start this book you will finish it in one day. It is that good that you will never want to put it down, the only reason I gave the book 4 stars...it is too short. All I can do is wait until Matsuoka brings out another book of such proportions that will change my view of the world forever.
Lewis

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever: "Lord Foul's Bane", "Illearth War" and "Power That Preserves"
by Stephen Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic tale, complex and desirable yet terrifying., 22 Nov 2002
I love fantasy, to such an extent that I read at least 3 books a week. This series though...was one of those books that blew me away. The story has a similar feel to Tolkiens world, though could not be more different. It is one of the most powerful books I have ever read, but more than that it is not a classic tale. This is a tale that you will never believe yet will always think possible.
If you're looking for the usual hero fantasy look for books written by Eddings, Gemmell or Jordan. If you want something that is so complex and new that it will blow you away...this book will still surprise you. Have no expectations when you read this book, as they will be wrong.
The language is incredible, and it is one of the most mature books I have read. Even Tolkien had that sense of story that is read to children, this isn't. This is one the adults and parents will keep for themselves.
Thomas Covenant is a wonderful character, he is believable.
If you read any books this year, this is the only one that will stay in your minds for the rest of your life.
Lewis
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2012 4:04 PM BST