Profile for Brian > Reviews

Content by Brian

Brian "brian"

Timex Expedition Men's Quartz Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Black Resin Strap T49753P4
Offered by altonsports- Run and Fitness Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Oct. 2013
I have owned one of these watches for over a year and have just bought one for my grown up son. I find the functions intuitive, both easy to use and set, and that the display is easy to read even in low light and that the indiglo back light gives background illumination second to none. This is the second watch that I have in this range, the first being the original Ironman indiglo which I bought over sixteen years ago and which is still going strong; I only replaced it because it was looking tired and worn after being all over the world with me in all extremes of conditions. I wear my watches 24/7 and bathe with them on and I would recommended this watch to anyone who needs reasonably priced, reliable and robust watch that keeps excellent time and is easy to use.

Victorinox 08623MN Rescue Tool
Victorinox 08623MN Rescue Tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 24 Oct. 2013
This is and excellent product that is made to the highest quality and standard. I have had a number of high end pocket knives over the years including a number of Victorinox models which I rate highly but this one is the best by far. It is the most robust clasp knife that I have ever seen which is built to withstand the most testing of circumstances. Be warned however, this knife is literally sharp enough to shave with and care should be taken when opening and close any of the cutting blades. I actually blunted the main knife blade close to the hing because it was taking fine slithers of the skin of my thumb when opening it one handed! The only thing I think this knife lacks is a pair of pliers which would make it perfect, but all in all it is still and excellent piece of kit.

The Invention of Tradition (Canto)
The Invention of Tradition (Canto)
by Eric Hobsbawm

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Book of the highest academic standard and a must for all serious socio-political historians, 12 Mar. 2013
I read this book while studying a post-grad course in history and had been looking for it for a while. The book is well written in a style that is easy to understand with the reader needing no previous knowledge of the subject. The authors describe how the cultural traditions that we assume have developed organically throughout the ages have in fact been reinvented, or in most cases invented, during the 19th century usually by the middleclass intelligentsia. It focuses on the cultural revivals that took place in Ireland and Wales and the origins of Scottish cultural traditions and how it was fabricated. The credentials of the authors, as historical and political writers, are beyond reproach and in this book they give a fascinating insight into how notions of national identity and culture are developed and manipulated and remind us how ethereal and subjective ideas of cultural nationalism are and how they are social and psychological constructs. One need only look at the development of the Ulster-Scots tradition in recent time to see the invention of tradition in action. The book reminds us that cultural nationalisms develop in opposition to each other and are socially divisive and can lead to more than just the simple, innocent pursuit of quaint regional customs, traditions and the differences in cultural idiosyncrasies. The book arrived on time and in very good condition.