Profile for G EVANS > Reviews

Content by G EVANS

G EVANS (England)

Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K Ultra Fast Booting 2D Blu-Ray Disc Player (Old model)
Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K Ultra Fast Booting 2D Blu-Ray Disc Player (Old model)
Offered by eZee Trade
Price: 79.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic DMP-BD75EB-K, 17 Nov 2012
Having had to buy a new TV...I decided it was time to invest in a BluRay player.
I did not want to spend much money...I have done this in the past, and found very little gain over entry players (DVD).
After some research I went for the DMP-B75EB-K......matching my `new` Panasonic Plasma.
After hooking it up I popped in a DVD, and very pleased I was with the upscaling of the cheap and cheerful Panasonic.
With a BluRay disc the pic went another notch better so all seem honky dory.
It was only when I hooked it up to my Marantz Home Cinema Amp via Optical connection that a problem arose....
There is no 5.1 Dolby Digital.....you only get 2.1.
It took me awhile to work this out.....eventually via some Hi-Fi forums and looking more closely at the spec of the player.
I just presumed it would be 5.1 !!!! even the cheapest DVD players these days are 5.1.
A very silly oversight by Panasonic on their part.
I was going to return the Player because of that but decided to keep it.
I use the DSP mode on the Marantz for a surround sound. Not as good but good enough.
Other than that, its a very good player, with a useful USB on the front, and its very discrete.
But in summing up I can only give it 3/5 for the glaring omission of the 5.1 Dolby Digital sound processing.
If this player is just for a bedroom ect with no need for surround...go ahead its a good entry into BluRay.

Re; July 2013
So after 9 months player has stopped working !!
Waiting for more info from Panosonic as regard warranty.
Disappointing...Panasonic's build quality was second to none, maybe they just can't compete with the Korean's as regard cheap price / quality.

Re: August 2013
Hopefully my Panasonic Plasma will last a few years and I won't have to deal with their recommended service centres.Having spoke to 2 on the phone they tell me, if I post the item to them, they charge approx 25 to post it back.I also could be charged 20 for a software update should the player need it !!!
Quite how I'd know this, as I have no picture from the player is anyone's guess.
Unless you have a service centre on your door step, I would avoid buying any future Panasonic goods.
The player cost me 60, but it looks like it could cost me upto 45 just to get it repaired and sent back to me.
With current Samsung and LG entry Players at around 50....it's not viable to repair...even tho it's under warranty!!!
The warranty is next to useless then.
Don't bother......try Samsung or LG.

Late August Update
After contacting Amazon and complaining about the Warranty...they have agreed to refund me.
Actually they would have replaced it but it is no longer available so I have returned it and will be refunded. Can'f fault that really.

Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Widescreen   Plasma TV HD ready with Freeview HD - Black
Panasonic TX-P42X50B 42-inch Widescreen Plasma TV HD ready with Freeview HD - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic TX-42X50B, 17 Nov 2012
My 5 year old Hanspree LCD started playing up so I thought it was a good time to buy a new TV.
Prices are amazingly low compared with even a few years ago...but my proviso is always the same...get the best TV for the least outlay.
At first I was just going to replace the Hanspree with another LCD/LED, but after some research most reviews pointed toward Plasma being a better picture especially with anything above 40".
So with that in mind I looked at the big players and 3 kept popping up.
The LG 43", Samsung 43" and the Panasonic 42".
None had Smart or 3D....I did not want either.I just wanted the best picture for the money.
The Panasonic DID have Freeview HD, which I thought might be useful as I think gradually we will get more channels (there are 5 currently).That swayed it.
A word of caution for you people who think you have to have 1080p. None of the 3 Plasma`s I mentioned have it, you get 720p and 1080i.
I have seen plenty of 1080p TV`s but I still have not seen a better picture than my mates 6 year Pionner Plasma.....and that is only (?) 720p.
Go by what you see with your eye`s....not the tech numbers....
I personally just have left a standard setting....and when I watch say BBC HD....the TV automatically sets to 1080i.
The picture is superb.
SD Pictures are certainly much better than my previous LCD.
All for 340.......you can`t fault that !!!!
A quick for Amazon.UK....The first TV once taken out of the box was found to have a cracked screen.
After contacting Amazon they sent a replacement which arrived on the Saturday morning, just a day and a half after my phone call.The damaged one was picked up the following Monday.
As a side not I have put the matching Panasonic BluRay player(59) to the TV and its a superb picture.

Duronic 1m TOSLINK Goldspec High Resolution Professional Digital Optical TOSlink Cable - 24K Gold Casing- suitable for PS3, Sky, Sky HD, LCD, LED, Plasma, Blu-ray, Home Cinema Systems, AV Amps
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Value, 28 Oct 2012
These sort of cables used to be very expensive.
Not any more.
Works very well and very good value.
No point spending more IMO.

Philips DTR200 FREEVIEW Digital Set Top Box
Philips DTR200 FREEVIEW Digital Set Top Box

1.0 out of 5 stars Don`t Bother!!!, 28 Jan 2006
Bought this because of the brand name.
Easy set up decent picture and easy menue.....but.
The thing freeze`s on a daily basis,and you have to turn it off/on to clear it.
Signal is very good...........so thats not the problem.