Profile for Monday's child > Reviews

The Bear
The Bear
by Claire Cameron

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly tedious., 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Bear (Hardcover)
I find it really difficult to understand how anyone could enjoy this book. OK for the first few pages perhaps it is unusual to be viewing this from a very immature young child's experience but this soon gets boring and wearisome. Goodness knows why I kept reading to the end because so many times I scolded myself for continuing. (Don't like giving up.) However by a third of the way through I just kept missing out big chunks of their earlier memories of their parents / home / feelings etc.and just read the snippets of what was happening at the present time.
I was truly glad to finish it, for persevering as I did and with other things to do, I was thinking to myself 'get a life!'

Marrakesh Original Shampoo 236 ml
Marrakesh Original Shampoo 236 ml
Offered by Planet Hair & Beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my coloured, permed, thick, fine hair, 16 Jun 2014
Had a disastrous perm in January and periodically have my roots coloured a light brown/blond colour. I seriously needed hair products that would help with the dryness. To avoid the damaging chemicals I bought products in the 'Naked' range (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and such) and I liked those. Plus I bought this at the same time.

I liked the 'Naked' products but of all, I really like this shampoo, for it smells lovely, makes a fine lather and leaves my hair feeling nice. However, because I'm still using the 'Naked' conditioner I can't tell about the overall results so I really ought to try the Marrakesh conditioner. ....All these things are just a bit expensive, so perhaps next month!

Martin Smith Ukelele - Natural Wood
Martin Smith Ukelele - Natural Wood

1.0 out of 5 stars I think it's rubbishy, 8 May 2014
Was surprised by the deep red contrasting colour: all the headstock, down the sides of the body & neck, all the back. Finish poor: tiny spots of red paint on the natural body, runs /imperfections in the red paint, blobs in the dark brown paint on the fretboard, imperfections in the varnish on the natural colour body.

Strings? Tried to tune them repeatedly but when I got to the A string, the G & C strings were out of tune again. (Have a Snark tuner, so tuning is quick and easy.) I'm a novice so perhaps you have to be more patient and retune for much longer than 30 minutes. However I thought I'd be playing something on a new ukulele within that time.

I doubt it's suitable for children. (Surely they're equally, if not more discerning about detail and would quickly notice the blemishes?) Plus, what child wants to be constantly retuning and unable to play? Then if ever in tune, with the tedium of practice (pain in the fingertips) at the very least they'd be wanting to hold something that looks nice and they could show off to their friends?

Re buying new Aquila strings. Why have the added expense + time having to change them, when you're still left with a very cheap looking ukulele? (Can't comment on what it sounds like because of the string issue.)

Surely wiser to save the expense of new strings and just get a better quality ukulele. Having said that, I have a Kala KA-C Mahogany Concert Ukulele, with Aquila Nylgut Strings. The finish is A1. It tuned up quickly /strings retain the notes /sound is fine. I bought this Soprano one because I fancied trying a ukulele with less space between the frets but comparing it with my Karla (or similar) is like chalk & cheese.

Shan't be keeping this ukulele.

Aubrey Organics E Plus High C Deodorant 85ml
Aubrey Organics E Plus High C Deodorant 85ml
Offered by iShopNutrition

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 26 April 2014
Used once and it didn't work for me at all. I don't recall smelling this sweaty since being a teenager.

Agadir Argan Oil Hair Treatment 2.25oz
Agadir Argan Oil Hair Treatment 2.25oz
Offered by Beauty it is

2.0 out of 5 stars Just seemed greasy to me, 15 Jan 2014
Used it on my hair once and I much, much prefer the more expensive Moroccan Oil Treatment that I'd used previously.

At this point I wondered how much argan oil was contained in the Moroccan Oil Treatment so contacted them but they would not divulge. Nevertheless I bought another bottle of Moroccan Treatment and will stick with this in the future.

As I will never use this Agadir Argan Oil product on my hair again I will probably use it in place of 3-in-1 multipurpose oil for door hinges and such!

World War II (Eyewitness)
World War II (Eyewitness)
by DK DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 15 Jan 2014
Snippets about much of what you'd expect the book to contain. (Two sides for each)

I also found the many pictures contained helped me to understand things I am unfamiliar with e.g. various machines, gadgets, uniform, old photographs & newspaper pictures of devastation and such. However, some more informed people may find the barrage of pictures irritating and of no value.

Victorinox Red Handled Kitchen Scissors
Victorinox Red Handled Kitchen Scissors
Offered by Knives Master

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and sharp, 7 Jan 2014
Not been used very much but when required they are so sharp and a delight to use.
For example, without much success using old scissors I was trying to cut down a cardboard box. Then I remembered these scissors and what a difference, for they went through the cardboard fairly easily.

10" High Heat Spoonula
10" High Heat Spoonula
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than a wooden spoon or wooden spatula, 7 Jan 2014
It is firm enough to move things around the pan with ease yet pliable enough to get everything out of the corners of the pan. This makes it much easier to clean the pan after making things like porridge.

It really seems to withstand heat for I was trying to add flavour to some low calorie popcorn which was tasteless and so heated butter, brown sugar and salt in a frying pan to coat the popcorn. It didn't work for the sugar burnt but before I realized this (thought it was just the colour of the sugar) for a short while I had been moving the popcorn around the pan with the spoonula. I'm sure that burning butter and sugar will have a high temperature but the only effect on the spoonula was that the edge turned a very, very faint tinge of beige. There was no misshaping along the edge.

The only very slight negative: it's heavier than I had imagined and this tends to make it feel unbalanced. However in the pan it becomes unnoticeable and so is not a problem.

I'd recommend it to a friend, or buy another in the future.

Dolphin Tale [DVD] [2012]
Dolphin Tale [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Harry Connick Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable except sound, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dolphin Tale [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
For the feel-good, family viewing aspects that others have listed, it was a nice film to watch. It was also interesting re the technology involved; the dolphin's reactions to the fitting of various prosthesis and just the general behaviour of dolphins.
However throughout, the children's diction tended to be poor. So in order to gather what they were saying it was necessary to have the sound turned up to maximum but still some parts were missed.

Bourjois Sharpener
Bourjois Sharpener
Offered by Faith Cosmetics

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10/10, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bourjois Sharpener (Personal Care)
It makes perfectly pointed ends without them being weak and breaking off. Whereas before, using pencil sharpeners the hole was often too small, or the product kept breaking up so not forming a point. Or if by hand using a blade, it was fiddly/wasteful/time consuming and the wood was not evenly shaved off so dug into my lips, eye lids or brows.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4