Profile for Book worm > Reviews

Content by Book worm

Book worm "Book worm" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Can We Still Be Friends
Can We Still Be Friends
by Alexandra Shulman

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather dull, 28 Feb. 2013
The gold cover caught my eye in the supermarket not to mention that it's written by the editor of Vogue. I thought it would be fun and glamorous but it was just dull and flat. None of the characters grabbed me and once I put it down a few chapters in I struggled to pick it up again. I think the problem was that there was no real story-line and for a novel to be essentially, just a study of friendship over a number of years the reader has to really care about those friends - and I didn't. Some good bits of colour about the Eighties but that's about it.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello

2.0 out of 5 stars bog-standard chick-lit, 22 Jan. 2013
I adored David Nicholl's One Day and always have one eye out for something similar. This was cheap (99p), has a similar 'boy/girl platonic best friends premise and has had some great reviews. But while One Day was smart, funny and acutely observed with brilliant dialogue, this is just bog standard predictable chick-lit and not funny in the way that One Day was so fresh and sharp. It's sweet enough if you really love chick lit but there are so many better books that pull at the heart-strings.

Paris in Love
Paris in Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful read, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Paris in Love (Kindle Edition)
Another book I bought because I saw it cheap on Kindle. I thought that meant it wasn't going to be very good but actually was a beautiful, evocative memoir of one woman's sabbatical year to France with her family. Eloisa James writes about the city with such wit and colour that it makes you want to go there immediately. There was also a very poignant chapter about losing a friend which made me cry. Recommended. (It was a little bit slow to start but stick with it. I loved the travel tips at the end of the book too.)

Starter for Ten
Starter for Ten
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Starter for Ten (Paperback)
I finally got round to reading this after loving One Day. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as One day which is one of my favourite modern books, but still, it was fantastic. The author really gets under the skin of the 18 year old narrator which made the novel totally credible and believeable. I loved the University Challenge story-line which lifted the plot out of the coming of age cliche it quite easily could have become. It reminded me of Nick Hornby's early stuff - big-hearted and funny. I wish there was more stuff like this on offer because books like this don't really seem to be in vogue right now.

The Secrets Between Us
The Secrets Between Us
by Louise Douglas

2.0 out of 5 stars Trying too hard to be a book clubby book..., 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Secrets Between Us (Paperback)
I've noticed a few books lately being described as the new 'Rebecca' - which is sort of setting yourself up for a fall as that was one of the greatest books of the last century. This is another one that is heavily influenced by Daphne Du Maurier's novel - and just falls flat. The narrator Sarah is just a bit irritating. I wasn't convinced with the romance with Alex and it took so long to get going, thanks to the endless gothicy descriptions of well - not much - by the time the story did begin to pick up, I had just lost interest. I didn't find it much of a thriller or much of a romance I'm afraid and I didn't really root for the main character. All in all I just got the feeling that the author wanted to write book group book and in trying to get all literary she has done so at the expense of her story-telling. Not for me although I will try this author again as I really enjoyed her last novel about the Italian family

Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2)
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2)
by Nicci French

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the return to form I was hoping for...., 26 Aug. 2012
This feels like a sequel to Blue Monday rather than one of a series of books featuring psychologist Frieda Klein. I liked Blue Monday although I found bits of it very silly. However, for me, Tuesday's Gone lacked the pacy, enjoyment factor of the first one. Frieda is still a great character but there were too many plot holes (spoiler alert -Janet's 'hanging' being a murder....surely forensics would have spotted that, certainly when it was done at the hands of an amateur.) And the quick, unsatisfactory ending made me think that the authors just wanted to finish the book as quickly as possibly. Nicci French are certainly talented but they seem to be on an increasingly long run of below par novels. At this rate I might have to go back and re-read their earlier stuff which I loved.

Life... With No Breaks: A Laugh Out Loud Comedy Memoir
Life... With No Breaks: A Laugh Out Loud Comedy Memoir

1.0 out of 5 stars Amateur and just not funny, 26 Aug. 2012
I tried this after browsing through the Kindle best seller list. I wanted a light-hearted read and this was cheap and had lots of great reviews. Having read the first thirty pages I couldn't help but think they were from the author's friends. The idea - trying to write a book in 24 hours was original (if flawed) enough, but the author is no Bill Bryson. It was all flat, cliched observations written without any flair. I hate giving books only one star but I'm afraid this book is the sort that gives self-publishing (which I think this is) a bad name. Just because you get a few laughs down the pub doesn't mean you're the new Nick Hornby! To write anything smart and amusing would be a stretch for even the most talented and experienced of scribes but for a regular bloke to do it in 24 hours is probably the best indicator as to the quality of this memoir.

The Love of My Life
The Love of My Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 7 Aug. 2012
I bought the kindle edition of this book because it was under a pound. I hadn't heard of the author before and I wasn't expecting much - but I really enjoyed it and read it in just a couple of sittings. The story follows one woman Olivia in the present - when she had lost her husband - and then flashes back to the past when you see their love story unfold. Olivia is quite a flawed character (in the flashbacks she is the sort of man-stealer you usually hate) but she is a very strong character that you care what happens to. The tight knit Italian family she marries into is also very well drawn. I'll look out for more books from this author.

Perfect Strangers
Perfect Strangers
by Tasmina Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pool-side read, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Perfect Strangers (Hardcover)
I took this book away with me on holiday having read the author's recent book Private Lives which I loved. Perfect Strangers was a bit different to Private Lives in that it concentrated on two characters rather than the big cast the author usually has. But I think it made it more of a page-turner - in fact I read it in one day on my sun-lounger which I didn't do with any of the other books I took away! I loved the main character Sophie who had to go on the run after her boyfriend was found dead in a hotel suite and the book has a great hero in 'Josh' who I didn't know whether to trust until the very end. There's lots of beautiful locations too in the book which seems to be a hallmark in Tasmina Perry novels.
The ending, set in the wilds of Scotland, was so romantic (and I cried!) which was a really great foil to the rest of the book which had quite a thriller feel to it. The perfect beach read - I hope the author hurries up and writes another one soon as I have almost read everything she had written and find her reliably very, very good.

Getting Rid of Matthew
Getting Rid of Matthew
by Jane Fallon

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit dull, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
I thought the premise of this book was quite original and interesting (mistress finally gets her lover to leave his wife for her - only to discover that she doesn't want him any more) but I think it should have been much more darkly comic. As it was - it was just a bit flat and dull. I can see this being a Hollywood movie but as a novel it just wasn't pulled off with the flair and wit it needed. I gave up on it before the end.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6