Profile for Jonny > Reviews

Jonny

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x Internal SATA DVD Multi Writer Black Bare

3.0 out of 5 stars Like my old tech teacher, 13 Sep 2012
This drive seems great: fast, reliable and with a flashing light. However, it is ridiculously noisy!

I bought this drive because among all of my DVD drives which I have stockpiled at home, I could not find not a single one that used SATA instead of IDE. I had just built a new PC from all new parts, and it hadn't occurred to me that I couldn't use an IDE drive, as my new motherboard didn't support it. So I shopped around and bought the cheapest drive that I could find with good reviews and high speed. (this one)

I don't regret buying it, because it *is* very fast, and I just need it for occasional use. However, compared to the vastly superior drives supplied with my previous PC, it sounds like a V8! The old ones came with my desktop from PC Specialist, and operated almost silently, the noise only becoming an issue at full speed. This drive makes a racket even when opening the tray!

Like I say, this isn't a problem if like most users you rarely use it. But if you rip or write a lot of CD/DVDs, then I would suggest spending that little bit extra on a higher quality one.

M-Wave Utrecht Travel Clip On Handlebar Bag - Black
M-Wave Utrecht Travel Clip On Handlebar Bag - Black
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 17.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy quick release, 19 July 2012
The bag appears to be fairly high quality. The quick release mechanism is extremely handy and makes this product for me.

However, it tends to sag a little and the zip is a tad awkward.

Overall a good product.

75mm Light Duty Top Plate Unbraked Swivel Castor
75mm Light Duty Top Plate Unbraked Swivel Castor
Offered by Coldene Castors and Wheels
Price: 1.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 19 July 2012
Seems to be of high quality. I used four on a engineering project that required high loads, and this worked perfectly.

I didn't notice any floor marking, like I did with other wheels I bought.

Jazooli High Power Super Bright Heavy Duty 3W 1 Led Waterproof Front Bike Light - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 July 2012
The torch itself casts a fairly strong light and seems to last a good length of time. It accepts 4 x AAA batteries and has a normal and a flashing mode. The mounting is fine.

My favorite part of this product is that the mounting swivels, so that the light can be directed where you need it best. I found this very useful.

Topeak HeadLux Helmet Light - Black/Red/White
Topeak HeadLux Helmet Light - Black/Red/White
Price: 12.07

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor stitching, 19 July 2012
The light itself works fine, although I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a replacement head torch. The problem is that the strap which is designed to hold the light to the helmet is very poorly manufactured, and broke very quickly. My friend also bought one and had the same problem.

Nice idea though.

Samsung E1080i Sim Free Mobile Phone
Samsung E1080i Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Original Parts ltd
Price: 13.19

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a basic phone, 19 July 2012
I bought this phone because I needed a battery life of at least a week. The phone provides this, but it can struggle, like any other, when the signal is very faint. I took it on a cycle trip to France, and found that it was fine, but the ferry crossing drained the battery.

The main downside I have found is the screen. It tends to be very washed out, and hard to read. This could be a fault with my particular device, but the screen doesn't appear to be particularly high quality anyway.

My friend bought a Nokia 100, and the screen was much better, with the battery life being at least on par.

It is fine, but there are better phones for an extra 5.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2012 3:40 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and bright!, 28 Jun 2012
I purchased the largest size available, in yellow, as I have very large hands. They fit tightly, but are not quite too small. I bought yellow for increased visibility.

The grip is great, and the quick pull loops do actually work! (Although they work best when your hands are wet or sweaty)

I bought these after a long trip that left me with cyclist's palsy and some very sensitive palms, so I can vouch that they definitely decrease discomfort. I took them on a week long cycle trip to France, where to be honest, the roads are so nice you don't really need them. I found that they were fine aside from the below problem.

The only problem I have expreienced so far is that the glove can be rather tight on my thumb when I place it on top of the handlebar. The problem remains when using drop handlebars, and makes my hands ache. I do have ginormous hands, and thumbs in particular, so I imagine it would not be a problem for most people.

Overall, a very good buy, but make sure you buy big enough!