Profile for Philip Marsh > Reviews

Content by Philip Marsh

Philip Marsh "flip_martian" (Hanslope, UK)

Total Candida Defence - 100% natural candida / yeast treatment - (60 Vegi Caps)...
Offered by Silvertown Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it claims to, 29 Sept. 2014
2.5 weeks in and my gut has already started to improve, to the point I can eat a more varied selection of food. After the last few months this is a great relief. Happy to be patient but it does seem to be helping me.

KAVAJ leather case cover "London" for the new Apple iPad 4, iPad 3 and iPad 2 cognac brown - genuine leather with stand-up feature including stylus
Offered by KAVAJ

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit overpriced, sadly, 9 Jun. 2012
Fast delivery, can't be faulted on service. Looks very nice and a "quality" product. The iPad fits very well with no slipping.

However, after a few weeks it shows signs of scuffing and marking and it has literally only been carried around the house and in a shoulder bag a few times. One would expect a product costing this much to be a bit more heavy duty, perhaps. IPad switching off when closed works fine, however the stylus works loose as does the leather "catch" now its been used a few times (it untucks itself a bit).

Nice looking case as I said - I guess its going to have that "well used leather" look rather more quickly than I expected though! Would have been happier if it was 10-15 quid less I think.

Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350 - eBook reader - 5" monochrome E Ink ( 800 x 600 ) - pink
Offered by TODO! TODO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little e-reader, 28 May 2011
Thanks to stores that stock these and Kindles I was able to try both hands on while working out which was best for me. This won. Same screen tech as the Kindle (albeit a 5" screen which I thought might be too small but isn't actually) but touch sensitive, which the Kindle isn't. If you're happy navigating on a screen with cursor keys, that's cool - but having got used to touch sensitive screens on phones in recent years, I find them much more user friendly. Touch the book to select, swipe the page to turn over. Easy. The Kindle is larger overall too - the Sony is much more compact and is easier to hold, read, carry around.

When deciding on an e-book reader you might be concerned that Sonys don't offer wireless or 3G connectivity to d/l books on the move (like the Kindle). While this may be an issue for some, its not for me - I'm quite capable of loading up the reader with enough books to last me months, so going away on holiday and getting stuck for something new to read will never happen. I also find the font easier on the eye than on the Kindle (it seems slightly different), although this is why I would always suggest people try and compare for themselves.

It reads multiple formats and its flexible for viewing pdf format files with little fuss. Its easy to change the size of the reading font to get the best for you and to organise your books into collections. Its also dead easy to get books on it. If you can copy files around into folders on your PC, you can put files on a Sony reader. Or use the software that comes with it. Or d/l free Calibre software which will convert any e-book format into any other and then load them onto your device for you.

I've not paid for any e-books yet - too busy finding all the out-of-copyright books that are available on the 'net for free! Amazing.

And FINALLY...while its described as pink, its more of a darker pink and not really "girlie" in colour. Quite modern and funky really. So this one's not just one aimed at the ladies! :-)

And REALLY finally...don't be fooled by the marketing and fancy software on ipads, tablets and the like. If you want to read an e-book, for goodness' sake get a proper e-book reader with "e-ink", not a backlit screen (iphone, tablets, ipads, android phones etc). They're as easy on the eye as a real book. Back lit screens aren't. And you can read them anywhere outside or indoors in direct sunlight too if you wish (which you can't with back lit screens).

Sermon over! :-)

Cowon X7 160GB Portable Media Player - Black
Cowon X7 160GB Portable Media Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Genius, 6 May 2011
I've not used vids on the player as yet - only bought it as an audio player. I bought my 160gb X7 about 6 weeks ago as I wanted a large capacity player that would play lossless files and take most of my CD collection. The other option was an ipod classic and I would prefer not to buy Apple.

With my Windows 7 laptop it connects perfectly, transferring files easily. Sound quality playing FLAC and OGG Vorbis files (not tried with mp3s yet) is amazing. The eq presets are incredble (and I don't normally "do" onboard eq). With good headphones, I can't believe there is a better sounding portable music player on the market. I hear great bass, great separation between instruments, great presence.

Its not perfect though. The album artwork DOES display - but a large version which doesn't shrink to fit the screen. Which is actually quite a cool look (but it would be nice to have a "shrink to fit" option...). Also the screen isn't the most responsive and more than once I've prodded the screen and gone to the wrong option due to not placing my finger "just so"... The OS isn't the most intuitive but doesn't really take long to learn.

The other bug bear I have is that I can't operate it while its in my pocket - track selection is done on screen. With my old (read "ancient") Creative Labs Zen Xtra, hardware buttons made it easy. But I've got used to it - I had my Zen about 8 years so was very used to that.

HOWEVER. Sound quality, capacity, range of formats, ease of transferring files. Excellent. Not had any problems with reliability or "quirky" behaviour.

Overall - very pleased with it. I doubt you'll hear better. Just a shame about the screen responsiveness. 8.5/10.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2012 2:26 PM BST

Something For Everybody
Something For Everybody

4.0 out of 5 stars Return To Form, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Something For Everybody (Audio CD)
So many "come back" albums by bands you liked when younger are eagerly awaited, bought, listened to and filed away in the "ah well its not that bad" category. This, on the other hand sounds pretty contemporary (the decision to let other producers loose pays dividends) without losing sight of the Devo trademarks - catchy hooks, big synths, raw guitar, squeaks, squeals and the occasional silly voice vocal.

Stronger songs than you might expect (far better than Shout or Smooth Noodle Maps) make this my most listened to Devo studio album since "Oh No..." from the early 80s. I heard the come back single from another early 80s electronic pop act this week, which may well get more coverage here in the UK than anything off this album. That would be criminal - this album is vibrant, lively and shows there is still plenty of talent in Mutato Muzika. Whereas the other is flat, devoid of inspiration and frankly rather cheesy to say the least. Fans of the genre should at least take a good listen to Something For Everybody and make their minds up. Fans of the band are unlikely to be disappointed.

Ring Of Bright Water [DVD]
Ring Of Bright Water [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Travers
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars A good "Rainy Afternoon" film, 29 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Ring Of Bright Water [DVD] (DVD)
I remember the film as being beautifully shot and a gentle, probably a bit wimpy and sentimental story (nothing really wrong with that). However, I saw this on one of the rare occasions a film projector was brought into school in the 70s - we were only about 8 years old. THAT scene (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it) and its effect on an 8 year old boy (ie me!) has stayed with me always and I've never been able to watch it again!

A good film and recommended. Just don't have your kids there watching it without a box of tissues handy!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2013 9:48 PM BST

A Matter Of Life And Death [DVD]
A Matter Of Life And Death [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 10 Jan. 2004
I first saw this on TV in my teens. What an amazing film! Seen it contless times since - I bought it on VHS, now have it on DVD. The atmosphere, the pacing, the cinematography... A timeless film, well acted with an extraordinary story (for the time, I imagine).
The black and white sequences are beautifully toned, the colour ones contrast quite vividly to illustrate what's reality and what isn't.
Over 20 years later and I still pull it out for a viewing now and again. The DVD incidentally is a fine way of having this film.