Profile for Donna Edmunds > Reviews

The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot
by Russell Kirk

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a PRIMER, not the full text!, 21 Oct 2014
So the first thing to say about this book is that it is NOT 'The Conservative Mind' by Russell Kirk, but a primer on that text.

As such, it's a very useful dip into what I understand is quite a weighty tome. It's cohetently put together, and gives an excellent summary of the original text (I assume). If you only have an hour to spare and want to cover all the salient points in 'The Conservative Mind', then this is the book for you.

But it really ought to be advertised as a primer and not as the definitive text.

Wow Kids Wow Cup For Kids - New Innovative 360 Spill Free Drinking Cup - Bpa Free - 8 Ounce (Pink)
Offered by Have Fun Growing

5.0 out of 5 stars Good idea for kids, also doubles up as a non-spill cup for use whilst driving!, 1 Oct 2014
I bought this for my two year old daughter who has Angelman Syndrome, on the suggestion of other parents who have children with the same condition. She can't get the hang of it at all, so we're going to try again when she's older - until then, though, it makes an absolutely fabulous non-spill cup for me for car journeys!

Childrens Furniture Solid Pine One Bench Storage Box Natural Varnished
Childrens Furniture Solid Pine One Bench Storage Box Natural Varnished
Offered by Obique

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, let down by lack of attention to detail, 1 Oct 2014
This bench is so pretty I'd love to be able to give it a higher rating.

First the good: it is a nice design; I love the idea of making sure that there are no pinch points that can trap little fingers. The colour is pretty, and overall it has a nice look to it. A little smaller than I was expecting so we won't be able to store very much in it, but it makes a nice addition to my daughter's bedroom.

However, it was an absolute nightmare to put together for two reasons: firstly, the instructions need completely rewriting. They are inaccurate (numbers of screws supplied differed from what was in the packet - the packet was right, the instructions were wrong), but more importantly they tell you to fit the box lid last. I did so, and it took me a good half hour of struggling with an angle too tight to fit the screwdriver into the gap. Only after I'd managed it did it occur to me that the sensible thing to do would have been to fit the two hinged pieces together first and build the rest of the item around them.

Secondly, the margin of error that the company uses to make the pieces is too large. When finally put together, our bench has a large (2-3mm) gap between the left side piece and the two back pieces thanks to the fact that the holes are all a little bit off from each other. The bench also doesn't sit four-square on the floor, but rocks back and forth as one of the legs is a good 5 mm shorter than the others, thanks to the whole construction being slightly askew. The nails that hold in the bottom of the box also don't sit flush with the base, and I'm concerned that toys will get scratched, or that little fingers might get cut on them.

It's a pity, because I really wanted to LOVE this bench, but the lack of attention to detail has turned what could have been a really quality product into a merely mediocre one.

Bestway Swim Safe Baby Support Seat Swimming Aid For Ages 1-2 Years
Bestway Swim Safe Baby Support Seat Swimming Aid For Ages 1-2 Years
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and safe, 24 July 2013
I bought this for my daughter as she loves being in the water, and so far we love it.

It's much bigger than I was expecting. She's currently 18 months old and fits into the seat perfectly, with plenty of room left to grow into it further. The surround is really supportive and she can move about very easily, even lying back to relax and float. The surround also acts as a shelf on which I can balance her toys, meaning that she can quite happily float around the pool playing and I know she's safe even when I'm not holding her.

The only thing that's a little tricky is getting her out again as the plastic gets stuck around her legs, but I'm sure we'll figure out an easy way to do that in time.

I'd definitely recommend this product.

ToryBoy the Movie [DVD]
ToryBoy the Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A total eye-opener, 6 July 2013
This review is from: ToryBoy the Movie [DVD] (DVD)
I do a bit of work in politics so watched this for a bit of a laugh (not least because it's a comedy). Since then, I've been recommending it to all my NON-political friends - something I try not to do too often - as it's a total eye opener. If you want to know why our country is in such a state, witness the apathy of the voters in Middlesborough. Their MP is a devious, sometimes vicious thug, yet they roll up election after election to vote for him anyway...

Sounds depressing (and to be honest it is a little!), but John blasts through the experience with such warmth, humour and panache that you can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. It's also nice to hear from someone who's made the jump from Labour to Tory. Anyway, he totally deserves to be elected sometime soon, and you should totally watch this.

The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy
The End of Politics and the Birth of iDemocracy
by Douglas Carswell

4.0 out of 5 stars A facinating insight into the digital revolution to come, 26 Oct 2012
This is one of the most thought provoking, fascinating books I've read in a long time. Indeed, it's the book I wish I'd written myself.

Carswell details how our current broken democracy evolved out of a system that had once transformed the western world. He brings new insight into what exactly caused things to go so wrong, and how the digital revolution that we are in the very early stages of might change things in years to come. To be sure, we're not there yet. The internet is becoming a part of our lives but has not yet transformed them entirely. But our children will grow up in a world in which the internet is an intregal part of everyday life. Politics will have to adapt to the internet as much as the publishing and music industries have already had to.

Much of the book is gloomy in it's analysis. But we are in a gloomy place. There are no easy answers to the debt mountain that western governments have built up. What is refreshing about this analysis is that it is utterly optimistic without being unrealistic.

My one criticism is that Carswell only sees the internet as a force for good. As we are already seeing, governments and individuals can also use it for ill, by spying on citizens or by spreading propaganda. But other than that omission, a thrilling read.

Big Brother Watch
Big Brother Watch
by Alexander Deane

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone who values their liberty, 1 Mar 2011
This review is from: Big Brother Watch (Paperback)
Before I read this book I was aware that our civil rights had been infringed over recent years by the rise in CCTV, speed cameras and so on. But like most people, I assumed that the people who were warning about increases in Government surveilance must be slightly unhinged, or perhaps had read one too many Ian Fleming novels. Surely we need a children's database if it helps vulnerable kids? And what exactly is wrong with having your DNA on a database if you haven't committed any crime? We live in a free society, don't we?

This book illuminates the murky depths that state interference has reached, as well as providing robust arguments against it. The short chapters by a host of contributors on a range of subjects from the aformentioned databases to powers of entry and the internet make it easily accessable, and perfect to dip into. You will certainly want to again and again, and if you're anything like me will be boring friends and family with facts such as: the power of entry for the state granted by the Bees Act 1980 was used 3,190 times in England in 2006; and: travel companies must hand over 42 pieces of information, or for unaccompanied children, 58 pieces of information, to the state every time a person (including you!) travels across our border.

A must read for anyone who values liberty.