Profile for Pat Owen > Reviews

Pat Owen (France)

You Are Dead (Roy Grace)
You Are Dead (Roy Grace)
by Peter James

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy a good crime story and the fact that the ..., 14 Sept. 2015
I chose this book on a whim having never read any Peter James novels. I enjoy a good crime story and the fact that the novel is set in Brighton appealed to me, as a former student of this city. This could have been a handicap as there are themes running through his Roy Grace novel series. However it was not and references to past cases and the disappearance of the Grace’s wife are treated in such away that new readers are not left confused. On the contrary, I now want to read the other books in the series.
The story starts with a kidnapping and the seemingly unrelated discovery of a skeleton. As the story picks up pace the two cases become interwoven. The short chapters coupled with the suspense meant my family had difficulty getting me to put the book down.
I enjoyed the descriptions of Brighton and Mr. James obviously knows the city, and this, coupled with his knowledge of police procedures, makes the story credible. The characters were sometimes rather bland, but perhaps this makes them more real. I do have a bit of difficulty believing that Brighton is such a dangerous place.
I was also slightly amused by the names of certain characters that seemed to be inspired by the film industry; Inspector (Paniking) Aniken, CID inspector Hepburn, Detective Inspector Branson, Marlon the goldfish and Dr.Van Dam the psychologist. Mr James also seems to be fond of vocabulary that sends one scurrying for the dictionary. “Discombulated” (page 61) apparently a fanciful American alteration of discomposed; and “grockles” (page 133) a colloquial West Country expression used in a 1964 film to refer to tourists. Perhaps these were a private nod to Mr. James’ American and film experiences.
Despite these idiosyncrasies I enjoyed the book. “You are Dead” is not classic literature but I would recommend it as an easy, holiday read.

Havana Red: A Mario Conde Mystery (Mario Conde Mystery 1)
Havana Red: A Mario Conde Mystery (Mario Conde Mystery 1)
by Leonardo Padura

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the Latin American style of his writing which makes ..., 14 Sept. 2015
I came to Padura having heard a radio adaptation on the BBC. I enjoyed the Latin American style of his writing which makes this stand out from the standard American crime thriller. Padura creates a real feeling of life in communist cuba. The characters are well developed and the story compelling.

In Perfect Timing: Memoirs of a Man for the New Millennium
In Perfect Timing: Memoirs of a Man for the New Millennium
by Peter Caddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Despite my feelings about the man's beliefs and the Findhorn Foundation I would recommend the book as an interesting insight int, 14 Sept. 2015
I came to this book having heard much about the Findhorn Foundation over the years. The book is a fascinating read but it has put me right off the Findhorn foundation. Peter Caddy comes across as arrogant, over self confident and domineering. To be honest the belief that Aliens communicated with his former wife and were ready to save the few initiated followers made me feel I was reading about a lunatic sect. The most frightening aspect was the claim that the higher echelons of the military were listening to his ideas.
Despite my feelings about the Caddy's beliefs and the Findhorn Foundation I would recommend the book as an interesting insight into the mind of a cult leader.

The Fat of the Land
The Fat of the Land
by John Seymour

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fat of the Land, 15 April 2011
This review is from: The Fat of the Land (Paperback)
What can I say, it's a classic. I had already read 'The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency: The classic guide for realists and dreamersand this book was great to see how it all started. A good read for those searching 'The Good Life'.

Dead Aid: Why aid is not working and how there is another way for Africa
Dead Aid: Why aid is not working and how there is another way for Africa
by Dambisa Moyo

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Aid, 15 April 2011
An interesting contribution to the debate on aid. However I can't see here recommendations being followed, too many vested interests. I was also a little dubious about her use of Wikipedia in her notes, can we rely on it as an accurate source?

Atlas Shrugged (Penguin Modern Classics)
Atlas Shrugged (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Ayn Rand

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not great fiction, 20 Sept. 2009
So she was Maggie's favourite author? This almost put me off reading it, but then I thought 'know thy enemy'. Well, it was hard work. I ploughed through, the poor characters, ridiculous love scenes, and spurious political theories. I must admit, I skipped John Galt's pages- long speech so I'm sure people will say I missed the best bits and the essence, but I feel I already knew what he was going to say. I wouldn't recommend the book unless you are a student of political history and read it within the context of it's time and Ayn Rand's background (check out the Wikipedia page about her). What is interesting is the influence she has had on the likes of Thatcher, and Reagan.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2010 3:43 PM GMT