Profile for H. Thomas > Reviews

Content by H. Thomas

H. Thomas (Llanelli, Wales)

Integral Splash 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Blue
Integral Splash 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Blue
Price: 9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy and portable, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this flash drive just over a year ago - it has my phd thesis backed up on it, and is one I take everywhere with me, in my handbag/purse/trouser pocket (and I mean EVERYWHERE)

It is sturdy and robust as well as being not too bulky, easy to use, loads of space plus it is actually waterproof - I accidentally put mine through the washing machine in a trouser pocket, and after allowing some time for it to dry out, it seems to have recovered without any damage whatsoever.

A highly recommended USB stick!

Freewaters Salt N Pepa Ladies Sandals Flip Flops (UK 6, Tan)
Freewaters Salt N Pepa Ladies Sandals Flip Flops (UK 6, Tan)
Offered by Two Bare Feet

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfiest shoes ever!, 23 Oct 2013
Bought these shoes as we were going on holiday to Barcelona and it was going to involve a lot of walking. These shoes have great arch support and the strap remained very comfortable even when my feet had swollen a bit in the heat. I would recommend that you wear them a few times around the house to break them in, as the strap rubbed on the top of my foot the first time I wore them in the house, but was absolutely fine from the second time onwards. A great buy!

1642 Soft Nappa Leather - Travel Pass / Oyster Card Holder (5307 17) - Poppy
1642 Soft Nappa Leather - Travel Pass / Oyster Card Holder (5307 17) - Poppy
Offered by Ashlie Craft
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent travel card holder, 23 Oct 2013
I bought this little travel card holder a few months ago as my plastic one issued by the rail company was falling apart. This one has been perfect - I have used it pretty much every day since then and it still looks as good as new. There is space for both parts of my student railcard inside (I keep the photo bit on the meshy side) plus my Oyster card is tucked in behind the railcard part in the other side so it can be swiped without having to be removed whenever I go to London.

I have generally got at least 6 rail tickets in the front pocket and it hasn't stretched or broken in any way. Have also never had any problems having the railcard in the two sections and have never been asked to take photo bit out due to it being behind the mesh so all in all this travel card holder comes highly recommended :-)

A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing and Publishing)
by Kate L Turabian

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, 23 Oct 2012
I bought this book last academic year as I have recently begun a PhD in 17th history at Swansea University. Although I have previously found university guidelines to be more than adequate for formatting undergrad and MA essays and other formal pieces of writing, a PhD is an entirely different kettle of fish!

I have found this book INVALUABLE - it is well indexed, easily searched and easy to flick through as well. It seems to cover every little bit of writing and every possible style convention within the Chicago style, plus a useful guide on approaching a writing project, helpful examples of writing styles and formats, and a list of useful tips on making the most of feedback/marking comments from tutors, plus a seemingly never ending list of formats for citations of all types of material.

I would definitely recommend that you buy this book for any serious writing project that will use the Chicago style, be it academic or otherwise - I have only had this book a few months and would already be lost without it!

Used Books: Marking Readers in Renaissance England (Material Texts)
Used Books: Marking Readers in Renaissance England (Material Texts)
by William H. Sherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 21 Jan 2012
This is a fascinating book, covering a little-discussed element of scholarship. The amount of information that can be gleaned from comments and marks in the margins is just incredible and I would thoroughly recommend this book for students of history, book lovers and students of 'book culture'. This book will give you a whole new perspective on things you previously dismissed as scribbles and bring an extra dimension to your appreciation of old books. Buy it!!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent case considering the price!, 21 Jan 2012
This case is not leather as it states in the description, but is still a solid case with very useful card pockets. It also comes with a stick on screen protector and a cleaning cloth and is a really useful little case, especially considering the bargainous price!

Parker Frontier Fountain Pen Translucent Blue with Stainless Steel Nib and Trim Ref S0880920
Offered by Pen-Sale
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little pen!, 21 Jan 2012
very comfortable grip, lovely smooth nib. I bought this pen to replace a similar one I lost because it writes fairly thick, which I like. However this may mean its not to everyone's taste but I love it!

Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)
Apple iPod touch 8GB (Model A1288 launched Sept 2008)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous little gadget!, 22 Oct 2010
My lovely boyfriend bought me one of these for my birthday and it is fabulous! I can listen to music, play games (either over the internet or with other ipod users), check facebook, twitter and email, use the internet browser, watch videos and tv clips, listen to audiobooks etc etc - the list is endless!

my only complaint is the battery does run down quite quickly, especially with wifi turned on, but this is easily remedied and charges very fast with the computer cable (or lasts longer with wifi turned off)

all in all, a fab little gadget - I love it!

Ancestral Trails: The Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History
Ancestral Trails: The Complete Guide to British Genealogy and Family History
by Mark D Herber
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 5 July 2010
This book is absolutely brilliant, and well worth every single penny. As an archivist, this book is invaluable for answering those awkward questions about obscure areas of research, and as a family historian this book covers everything you could ever need to know and more. It is highly recommended by all archivists and family historians I know who have a copy, and use it regularly.

It is well written, clearly laid out and easy to use - if you buy only one book on family history, make sure it is this one. Herber answers everything in a concise but astonishingly informative manner, provides excellent examples of the records in question, and information for accessing them, including addresses and websites. This book is FABULOUS!

Waste Not Want Not
Waste Not Want Not
by Patrik; Beer, Gunter Jaros

4.0 out of 5 stars a little gem of a book, 19 Nov 2009
This review is from: Waste Not Want Not (Paperback)
this book is amazing - as a poor student who frequently forgets about the food in the cupboard before it goes off this book is full of useful and fun ideas that taste amazing!

recipes are indexed by time of cooking or name of ingredient, making it really easy to use, and it also has some interesting combinations for the more adventurous tasters!

would recommend it to anyone