Profile for Ms. V. Davis > Reviews

Content by Ms. V. Davis

Ms. V. Davis "Shoequeen" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Menswear
Price: 23.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not for beginners, 23 Mar 2014
This is an excellent book and very detailed. If you are new to making clothes you might find it bit off putting but stick with it and you won't regret it. The best book of its type on the market.

Metric Pattern Cutting for Children's Wear and Babywear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Children's Wear and Babywear
Price: 28.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not for beginners, 23 Mar 2014
This is an excellent book and very detailed. Especially helpful with sizing which is not as obvious for kids as it is for adults. If you are new to making clothes you might find it bit off putting but stick with it and you won't regret it. The best book of its type on the market.

Upholstery (New Holland Professional)
Upholstery (New Holland Professional)
by Malcolm Hopkins
Price: 11.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect and everything you will ever need to know, 23 Mar 2014
I love love love this book. It covers everything you will ever need to know about upholstery. It is written intelligently and does not assume the reader is an idiot which I found refreshing. It covers every technique you will ever need to know. The projects are brilliant and go through every step however do you need to read from the first project, even if you are doing a different kind of technique, as this book assumes you are starting at the beginning and important steps are detailed in the first project which are not then mentioned in detail later on. Brilliant, couldn't be happier.

Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
Price: 26.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not for beginners, 23 Mar 2014

Anjum Anand Recipe Collection Cooking 5 Books Set (I love Curry, Eat Right for your body type, Indian Food made easy, Anjum's New Indian, Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast)
by Anjum Anand

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, fab recipes and much loved, 23 Mar 2014
I love Anjum Anand's recipes. I bought this set and gave each book to a different member of my family who are also all fans. Proper indian food which tastes delicious. Couldn't recommend it more.

GIMP 2.8 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software
GIMP 2.8 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software
by Klaus Goelker
Price: 18.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and informative, 23 Mar 2014
This is an excellent book. When I first started reading it I thought it was a bit basic but the more I read the more detailed it becomes and I've learnt all manner of small but incredibly useful tips. Best buy of my year.

Silversmithing for Jewelry Makers
Silversmithing for Jewelry Makers
by Elizabeth Bone
Price: 12.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely and helpful too, 23 Mar 2014
Great book, brilliantly written with interesting projects and how to do them. I have lots of books on making silver jewellery but this book takes a different approach and taught me lots. Can't wait to have a go at my first project.

Orchard Toys Crazy Chefs
Orchard Toys Crazy Chefs
Price: 6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Orchard Toys Crazy Chefs (Toy)
I bought this for my 2 year old. She adores it and would have me play it every day given the chance. Simple, well made with very thick cardboard and nice and colourful. Brilliant.

Furniture Makeovers hc
Furniture Makeovers hc
by Barbara Blair
Price: 11.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Basic advice, wrong advice and unimaginitive, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Furniture Makeovers hc (Hardcover)
I was really excited about purchasing this book. I checked the reviews and it looked like it was exactly what I was after. However when it arrived I discovered the techniques described were all pretty basic. She takes sometimes beautiful pieces of antique furniture and wrecks them. Her approach does not seem to consider the piece in question and be sensitive to it's shape etc. She also gives poor advice at times, such as suggesting you wipe over a freshly sanded wooden piece of furniture with a damp towel. That is absolutely the last thing you should ever do, it will raise the grain of the wood and undo all that work sanding! I found the author to be a bit of an idiot and I didn't learn anything new. In addition this is an American book so some of the products she talks about aren't well known here (such as mod podge which I discovered is an expensive way to purchase pva glue). There were no interesting techniques, just paint, sand back or decoupage. Nothing new and nothing interesting. On the plus side, if you don't have any common sense and don't know one end of paintbrush from the other then this might be the book for you. The explanations she gives are very clear. This is the only good thing I can say about this book.

HP Q5456A Advanced Glossy Photo Paper A4 210x297mm (25 Sheets)
HP Q5456A Advanced Glossy Photo Paper A4 210x297mm (25 Sheets)
Price: 9.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very disappointing, won't be buying again, 3 Dec 2012
I purchased this photo paper as I am looking for a very good quality photo paper which won't jam in my printer. I purchased this because it is made by HP and my printer is HP, and while it didn't jam, it also didn't deliver good results and is no better than the cheaper photo I have been using. I print detailed images in miniature and these sometimes include text so I was looking for a paper which would not bleed. Sadly this paper does bleed and white lettering appears pink when on a black background. Deeply disappointing since this paper was specifically designed for my printer and sells itself as Advanced. I definitely won't be purchasing again and I am still on the hunt for a good quality paper which won't jam in my printer. The best paper I have used to date has been Tesco's Finest photo paper which delivers outstanding results but is very think and sadly jams in my printer more often than not (I have an HP C5280). Don't buy this HP and keep looking!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3