Profile for Teresa Brown > Reviews

Content by Teresa Brown

Teresa Brown

Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
by Patricia Helding

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice ideas BUT, 26 Jun. 2014
I was really looking forward to this book as I thought, coming from a professional bakery, there'd be easy to do recipes.
Well, if you're in the USA I'm sure it's great but will all the claims that her stuff goes international, there has been no concideration given for international fans to use these recipes.
What on earth is a 'stick of butter' please???
'12 Tablespoons...' you've got to be kidding!!
Does she measure her recipes out like this to make her 2,500 brownies...a day?? I think not.
My sister is a Pastry Chef by trade and make cakes in bulk for wholesale to cafes so all of her recipes are in percentages, Metric or Imperial measurements and I'm sure Ms Helding does exactly the same when making her stock so why not give us weights for the ingredients too please??? Does she think we're all stupid maybe??
We shall use some of the ideas in a stock standard recipe which, by the way, is measured by weight and volume but otherwise, for us at least, it's not very useful. Sorry

Brownie Bliss
Brownie Bliss
by Linda Collister

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellant recipes, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Brownie Bliss (Hardcover)
This little book has some great ideas and am looking forward to trying as many recipes as I can.
Must find more friends to try them on.

What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries)
What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries)
by C. S. Harris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and better, 26 Jun. 2014
I discovered this series several years ago with the first 2 books (which seem to be all that are available still in Australia) and only recently purchased and read the rest. The series just gets better and better. The character developement is excellant and the stories are quite gritty and shows the extremes of living standards very well. I can't wait for 'Why Kings Confess' in paperback so I'll be getting the hard cover just so I can keep up.
Two tiny gripes, the fashion shown on some of the covers is incorrect and in Georgian England they ate biscuits NOT cookies!! That term is particularly American and I was surprised to see it used concidering all the research that obviously goes into these books.
Keep up the good work.

Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries)
Why Mermaids Sing (Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries)
by C. S. Harris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read, 8 Dec. 2013
After reading the first 2 novels, 'What Angels Fear' & 'When Gods Die' a few years ago, I've been wanting to get hold of more. Just bought the next 5 and am going through them when I get the chance to sit down and read (not as often as I'd like)
Engaging characters with great back stories and I love the period.
Nice to come across a writer not afraid to give us all the filth and degradation of the times along with the incredible privilege lived by the wealthy.
I look forward to reading the rest.