Profile for David McCausland > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator
Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator
Offered by Europe_Wholesale

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Calculator - Though banned in certain unis, 23 Oct. 2011
This is a great calculator.

Loaded with functions, including arithmatic Integration and Differentiation (No algebraic though), solving equations, (Ie it can work out which values of x satisfy 3x^2 + 9x + 2 = 0)

The display is also very good for laying out calculations and it has 40 scientific constants loaded into it's memory which are all noted on the back cover.

HOWEVER.

I used this calculator for my A-Levels, took it to Uni then discovered that it's banned for all the examinations at my University! Make sure you check any calculator policies before you purchase.

Main things to look out for are:

Integration
Differentiation
Matrices
Abiliy to solve equations

If the policy notes any of these, you probably won't be able to use it. Check out the Casio FX-85GT if needs be.

Otherwise a very handy calculator. (Also it's shiny)

Red Faction: Guerrilla (PC DVD)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

1.0 out of 5 stars Really bad DRM, 29 Sept. 2009
Ok I admit this review has little to do with the game, but still it's important.

Firstly, this game requires online activation. If you have no internet, you can't play without cracking it. Also, you have to give the publishers your e-mail adress. Great, we can get spammed :)

Secondly, if you do have internet you have to tie it to a Games for Windows Live account, which apart from being one of the worst multiplayer systems ever to curse PC, it won't let you untie it from your account, which means you can't sell this game on if you don't like it. This has absically killed the second hand market for this game.

It is DRM like this which mean that almost no where will trade in PC games anymore.

As bad as securom on Spore? I'd say worse, at least with Spore you could sell it on as it was rubbish.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 12:44 AM BST

Gelert 3LED/1 Function Windup Torch
Gelert 3LED/1 Function Windup Torch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 May 2009
Well as a torch it's, torchy. Bright, small, easy to hold, so full marks there.

Doesn't take too long to charge (Though does make a racket) and the best (and unexpected bit about it) is that it also comes with a cable to charge other items. The connector is the same size as old nokia chargers, so armed with a converter you can charge your phone anywhere! Very handy for festivals/camping. Does take a while though.

Palm Centro Smartphone
Palm Centro Smartphone

1.0 out of 5 stars Various Flaws, and a right pain, 23 Feb. 2009
The purpose of a phone is to make and recieve calls, all the other stuff, games, cameras, music etc is just fluff. Welcome fluff, but still fluff.

My Palm Centro crashes every time I recieve a call, so I am unable to recieve calls, only make them. Great.

This would be fine if it wasn't for the diabolical support from Palm.

I have been lied to, ignored and expected to buy extra equipment.

The phone also has no support for connecting via wires to 64-Bit operating systems. I was told this was because "64-Bit sytems are designed with customer security in mind and therefore the phone cannot communicate with 64-bit Vista." (That was copied and pasted of a support email) In reality I suspect they haven't written drivers for it. I don't know enough about the difference between 32 and 64 bit, but I am 90% sure they're talking rubbish.

I was then told to connect via bluetooth to my PC. Why would my PC have bluetooth?

So, not wanting to venture into Linux yet I was given 3 options -

1. Buy a 32 bit operating sytem
2. Buy a bluetooth adapter
3. Pirate a 32 bit operating sytem.

Thank you palm you've made me choose between more cash or start stealing stuff.

Then Microsoft released Windows 7 Beta. After losing 30GB of my hard drive I could finally connect to my PC with it. (Windows 7 is incidentally remarkably good, better than Vista and faster)

palm, you have been beaten in customer support by Microsoft.

If you are serious about getting a smartphone then you may want to take your chances with this one (The other 5-star reviews must mean something) or, I recommend, get a blackberry.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2009 4:04 PM GMT

Fallout 3 (PC)
Fallout 3 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice! No DRM!, 27 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Fallout 3 (PC) (Video Game)
This is only a short review, as the all the points I was going to make have already been made.

No DRM, yay! At last, distributors with sense! One of my freinds is an ardent games pirate. He has refused to pirate this game. It's the first game he's actually bought (pre-ordered but hey, same thing) in about 18 months.

Hiper 120mm Case Fan, Dual Ball Bearing, Blue LED + Clear Frame + Chrome Blades
Hiper 120mm Case Fan, Dual Ball Bearing, Blue LED + Clear Frame + Chrome Blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 23 Sept. 2008
One 120mm fan, blows air.

It's currently sitting on a Thermalright 120xtreme heatsink, and my Athlon X2 6000+ is idling at 19C. My room is 27C! How this works I have no idea.

The fan is quiet, shifts air fine and glows blue, which is cool.

Far Cry 2 (PC)
Far Cry 2 (PC)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a review with some basis!, 23 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
No, I am not a time traveller.

I'd just like to say that PC Gamer gave this game 94%

As they haven't posted the review on the site yet (23 sep) only we lucky subscribers have got the review. yay!

I think it's going to be Farcry 2 and Fallout 3 fighting for game of the year this time round.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2008 12:01 AM BST

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack
Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Very simple, very quick, 10 Sept. 2008
I've just installed these and they are amazing. I was running wireless before, and the speed increase is immense.

Installation was incredibly simple. Plug into wall, plug cables into plugs, PC and router. No drivers needed (They are provided on a disk, but I didn't need them)

The only thing I would say is that if you are plugging them directly into your motherboard, make sure your motherboard drivers are installed. If your computer came pre built then you probably already have them installed, if you built it yourself you probably already know anyway.

G11 Keyboard USB / UK layout
G11 Keyboard USB / UK layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, very good gaming keyboard, 30 May 2008
"Aha," You might say, "A poor mans G15."

And I might say "Your going to waste £20 on a tiny LCD screen when you have a giant one in front of you? Go spend the cash on a game!"

This keyboard is a very nice bit of kit. Looks cool, has light up keys, is solid and can record 54 different complex macros. Woo!

Typing feels completely natural, it has a little switch to disable the windows button (Which is infinitely handy, pressing it during a game and bringing up the desktop is infinitely annoying) as well as media controls, a mute button and a control for the backlight.

However, there are 2 problems
a) The wrist rest feels like it's been cut out of a dustbin. The actual keyboard feels fine, but the rest is made out of some really cheap plastic. Bad Logitech!
b)The USB ports on the keyboard seem like a really good idea. However, they don't have enough power in them to handle a memroy stick. So what, Logitech, is the pont in them?

So, go forth and buy this board, and laugh at people with the G15, they wasted they're cash, mock them!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2008 11:01 AM GMT

Logitech Wave Keyboard
Logitech Wave Keyboard

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice design but seriously flawed, 20 May 2008
I'll start with the good things about this keyboard, it's extremely comfy, it looks good on almost any desk and the numerous buttons on it can be cutomised to do just about anything, there are 18 buttons where you can choose exactly what they do.

However, now for the bad points.

Firstly, you need to install drivers for it. This, apart from being time consuming, means you have to keep the old keyboar din when you install it, as it won't work till then.

Secondly, the buttons on the outside are awkwardly placed and you can press them without meaning to very easily, which is really annoying if you're playing a game.

Now for the real problems, firstly it sometimes types about 20 of a letter you pressed once, which is really annoying and refuses to type any other letters until it's finished.

Also, I am now having problems with my mouse, it will stop responding every now and then, to which the only cure I can find is to unplug the keyboard. I am not running anything through a USB hub, it is all plugged into the back.

Finally, it has a habit of crashing. This is the firtst keyboard I've evr seen that crashes, I think Logitech deserve a medal for that.

About 1/2 hour after turning the computer on it suddenly decides to keep one key pressed down, and to refuse to do anything else. I was playing Call of Duty 4 and it suddenly decided all I wanted to do was predd E. After my 4th death I decided to try and press Esc to quit. Nope, it still kept on pressing E. When Ctrl+Alt+Delete didn't work I had to revert to the power button on the front of the computer.

So now I have to go throgh the hassle of returning it, my advice, avoid like plague.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2009 1:23 PM BST