Profile for T Williamson > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Of Wars In Osyhria
Of Wars In Osyhria

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great!, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: Of Wars In Osyhria (Audio CD)
If I were to sum this album up, it would be that it is good but it could be much better. Whilst the album has grown on me since first listening to it, it still leaves me feeling like I want to get more from it. Unfortunately, I feel that a lot of the songs sound very similar and, if you weren't concentrating, you could miss where one song finishes and another one starts. It's not all bad, as far as albums in this genre go this is a very credible effort, and it remains an album that I would pick out more readily than others in my collection. However, I have both other albums by Fairyland and listen to those far more than this one. I do think that the lead singers voice is fitting to the music, although it is fair to say that she is not the best singer in the world. Then again, her voice fits so well into the fantasy-themed music that she gets away with it. The epic symphonic metal in the background is well-written, but I do feel that the music, at points, is played almost too quickly, and this makes it hard to appreciate the melodies and rhythm that each song has to offer. "Rebirth" is a very impressive tune, and is arguably the best on the album. "The Storyteller" and "Of Wars in Osyrhia" (the title track) are also very good. It is not a bad album, but it is not excellent either (which is why i've given it a mediocre 3 out of 5). Nevertheless, it is well worth a go if you are a fan of this particular genre of heavy metal.

The Fall Of An Empire
The Fall Of An Empire

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall of an Empire, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Fall Of An Empire (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Fairyland generally and, whilst I would say that this is not the best release from the band, I would rate it very favourably and say that it edges slightly better than its predecessor; "Of Wars in Osyrhia". It's fair to say that not all of the songs are particularly memorable, but others definately leave their mark. I would say that the best are "The Awakening", "Eldanie Uelle", "The Walls of Laemnil", "In Duna" and "The Story Remains". When I first listened to the album, I wasn't overly impressed. Like "Of Wars in Osyrhia", it left me feeling like the songs were good, but not brilliant - and felt like the album could have been so much more. However, both albums have grown on me hugely, and I think the listener needs to appreciate this album for its own credits and try not to compare it to, say, Score to a New Beginning. Many of the songs are catchy and retain that typical epic feel which Fairyland seem to pull off so well. A lot of the songs would not sound out of place in an '80's fantasy film. The album is well-produced and does very well at drawing the listener in. Don't expect this to be the best album you'll ever hear, but it's definately worth a shot for anyone who is in to epic metal.

Score To A New Beginning
Score To A New Beginning
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Score to a New Beginning, 27 Nov 2010
This is by far the best by Fairyland yet. I have both "Of Wars in Osyrhia" and "Fall of an Empire" but I'm afraid to say that both the song writing creativity and production do not come near to this impressive release. The album is far more structured musically, it has strong choruses, catchy songs, and if I had but one criticism of it - it's that there should be more than 10 tracks. The songs which, in my opinion, bear the most quality are "Across the Endless Sea", "Assault on the Shore", "A Soldier's Letter" and "Score to a New Beginning". I listen to a lot of Symphonic Metal and Fairyland are one of the best bands I have heard in this genre, and what makes this album stick out from the others is that it edges away from being a mish-mash of a hundred different musical instruments playing all at the same time (at a ridiculously fast pace) to being well-structed, balanced and musically stylish, so that the verses and choruses are distinctively separate with very impressive, and somewhat epic, instrumental interludes and solos in the middle. If you're in to symphonic metal that sounds like it came out of a blockbuster action/fantasy movie, you can't go far wrong with this album and I would say that it is a must have for all symphonic metal fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4