Profile for Mike > Reviews

Content by Mike

Mike

Building Windows 8 Apps with C# and XAML (Microsoft Windows Development)
Building Windows 8 Apps with C# and XAML (Microsoft Windows Development)
by Jeremy Likness

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for first steps into Windows 8, 9 May 2013
Coming at this book with some experience of Windows Phone Development, this book was exactly what I was looking for. I felt there was good coverage of the topics that I was interested in. The chapter on Portable Class Libraries (PCLs) is something I was particularly interested in and it covered it well with examples given of the use cases in which it's useful with the example code available to back it up.

The code examples tend to be short and succinct and I didn't feel there was too much in the way of bloat as the background information provided put this code into context.

I read this predominantly during my commute to work without access to a computer or the code samples to run, but didn't feel that this hampered my understanding as the explanations were sufficient for me to grasp the concepts well enough to feel comfortable implementing them when appropriate.

The section on the history of Windows is perhaps a bit of a tangent to the nature of the rest of the book, but this was something I didn't have a great handle on before (being 7 when Windows 95 came out) so was useful for me to understand the Windows journey up to now.

All in all a good book, would recommend.