Profile for niallgavinuk > Reviews

Content by niallgavinuk

niallgavinuk (Brighton & Hove, UK)

Look After You
Look After You
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Need for Speed..., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Look After You (Kindle Edition)
...reading. I was happy to support this new writer, via a friend on facebook, but I can't say I totally enjoyed the experience. Our heroine lives her life with an emotional intensity dialled up to 11. Sure, she has much to content with, but after about a third of the way through her story, I started speed-reading, first and last words of each paragraph, as I'd got tired of the minutely- detailed, self-absorbed hyper-intensity of her every emotion. That said, the plot is well developed and plays out effectively. Turning down the intensity dial would have avoided repetition, helped accelerate the pace and engaged me more fully. 3/5.

Humane, Resourced: A Book of Blogs
Humane, Resourced: A Book of Blogs
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Blogs Booked, 19 Dec 2013
Great idea, simply & well executed, demonstrating the value & potential of collaborated & shared learning. A great read. Bravo!

A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 3 A Ghost upon a Haunted Highway
A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 3 A Ghost upon a Haunted Highway
Price: 3.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A Traveller - and a Writer - Matures, 21 Jun 2013
This is the third installment in Benedict Beaumont's soul-searching travel epic, cataloguing his motorbike journey/s across the Indian sub-Continent. A more introspective and meditative volume than the previous two (already reviewed), it reveals a unfolding and challenged awareness of self whilst at the same time revealing a growing confidence and maturity as a writer. This series gets better and better.

The Man From Marseille
The Man From Marseille
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Intriguing, 18 Jan 2013
I never felt totally engaged with the protagonist or his story, but I liked the interweaving of the present-day and past in the narrative. That said, the tale cracked along at a decent pace and I did like the rounding off at the end, with the implication that the real truth was still to be told...

A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 2 Of Death and the Desert
A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 2 Of Death and the Desert
Price: 3.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Showing Versatility, 15 Oct 2012
I have now read three #kindle ebooks by BB - "A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 1", "Letter to India" (also reviewed on Amazon), and now, "A Last Chance Powerdrive Part 2". It's interesting to follow a new author who is gradually finding and, more importantly, developing and refining, his voice. This is by far the gentler of the three books, and I felt more empathy for and engagement with his story in this book.

I loved the opening of the book - the backstory filled in of BB's 'life' journey, his earlier experiences in - and out of - his band, his self-indulgent self-discovery in the American desert, as episodes counterbalancing the early part of the resumption of his Indian journey. Part 2 effectively picks up immediately after the end of Part 1, and I found the backstory device a very engaging way of leading into this book.

Solitude, a near-death experience, meetings, partings and throughout, India herself as an equal and major character in the story. Great stuff.

My only criticism: BB gives a dedication at the start of the book to his proof-reader. This is misplaced, as the proofing for the first half of the book is intrusively poor. This is something that needs to be addressed in future works.

I previously tweeted a 5* rating when I finished this book. I am happy to confirm that again now, and look forward to Part 3 with anticipation.

Letter to India
Letter to India

3.0 out of 5 stars These guys can write..., 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: Letter to India (Kindle Edition)
...no doubt about that. For a debut novel, "Letter to India" is an impressive piece of work from Benedict Beaumont and Lucy Robson. Clearly drawn characters with depth, back story (a lot of back story!) and loud (at times oppressively so) voices narrate their interlinked tales of love, loss, anger, fear and sadness.

By the end of the slightly too long book, which ironically felt a little rushed and un-resolved at the end, I was not unhappy to say goodbye to Matt and Bailey, but equally wished them well in the future - such was the power of the story, the vividness of the characters and the turmoil of emotions I had shared with them.

The third and equally powerful character in the story is India itself. Clearly the authors have experience of this fascinating country, its people - natives and incomers/visitors - and it's contradictions. It makes India as complex and as alive as the two protagonists.

In conclusion, I should confess to some insight here, as I know one of the authors personally, and am in no doubt as to who their character really is. I hope that writing this novel laid some ghosts for them. Brave and impressive writing. I look forward to their future work.

Lost in Shadows
Lost in Shadows

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, gory, overblown, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Lost in Shadows (Kindle Edition)
I was gripped throughout this brutal tale, despite the frequent and annoying typos. It's relentless and gory, and sometimes stretches credulity, particularly in the incidental coincidences. Good guys get shafted, while bad guys get their come-uppances - eventually.

I found the author's literary style a touch overblown; his analogies sometimes tortuous and occasionally holding up the narrative, but I guess that's the poetic in him.

I'd recommend it if you like your crime drama raw, your violence graphic and your characters mostly unsympathetic and irredeemable. If not, you might want to look elsewhere.