Profile for Alan Clarke > Reviews

Content by Alan Clarke

Alan Clarke

Kitchen Craft Colourworks Collapsible Silicone Funnel, Green
Kitchen Craft Colourworks Collapsible Silicone Funnel, Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, playful little kitchen gadget with a really small footprint, 23 Nov. 2013
I drink filtered water from glass bottles and use this little gem each time I refill one.

It's extremely well designed and actually really fun to pop and collapse. I often find myself inadvertently leaving the kitchen playing with it as if it were a stress relief toy.

It funnels water perfectly and flattens to fit in the cutlery draw.

Highly recommended.

Samsung UE46F6320 46-inch WideScreen Full HD 1080p Smart 3D LED TV with Built-In Wi-Fi and Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning looks, quality and featureset - everything you could possibly need and more, 23 Nov. 2013
After buying the f5000, a friend made me feel stupid for opting out of the extra functionality this tv offers for just £150 more - so I returned it and got this one.

First of all it's stunning. The specs don't mention the beautiful translucent edge around the black rim that literally frames it in glass. The stand is a single metalic piece with four prongs, and all in all it looks simple, modern and slick. Even my girlfriend agrees its a really nice looking bit of kit.

The picture quality is amazing. It's super detailed, vibrant colours, deep blacks and excellent motion. You can easily configure and tweak pretty much everything about the picture if you want to. You can even set this thing called motion plus, which is exactly like high frame rate, but probably achieved with some kind of video processing algorithm. The effect is really weird and interesting, it is technically superior quality and more lifelike, but because we're so used to everything being broadcast at a lower frame rate, it breaks the cinematic illusion, making things seem a bit too real and 'Reality TV' like. This is a documented phenomena - [...] Despite that, it is really great for sports : >

I won't say too much about the sound quality because I use a separate system, but I did test it and remember thinking it was pretty good.

The interface is simple and effective. I do think the *smart 'On TV' dashboard and timeline views are a bit pointless though, as you can't really configure what channels they source their recommendations from, so its a bit like a random wall of stuff you never asked for. However the guide is nice and simple and gives you all the information you would expect in a nice condensed form.

The active 3d enables you to watch full, unfiltered 3d, which for me is excellent because I get a bit OCD about having glasses that polarise one way to your left eye and another to your right - ew uneven : / It works by alternating left and right so fast you can't see. Well you can kind of see the flickering if you squint really hard and go all zen, but I have to say its pretty decent and the resulting 3d is awesome. I probably wouldn't watch 3d all the time, but it is good for a fun, novel experience now and again.

Another hardly mentioned massive win is that if you plug in a usb hard drive, you can pause, rewind and record live freeview! That was a big and welcome surprise. I don't have sky or anything but i assume it would be a similar deal, like having sky plus without having to pay for the plus?

Finally, the apps are great. More specifically, having netflix and lovefilm built in is so convenient, and netflix's superhd content looks seriously good with this tv.

In conclusion, I didn't love the f5000, but I do love this one and don't regret my change of heart one bit. I don't imagine that you'd get a noticeably better same sized tv than the f6320, unless it costed over a grand and was a 4k tv or something.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 10:52 PM GMT

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable 6.5 Feet / 2.0 m and Toslink Digital Audio Optical Cable 6 Feet / 1.8 m Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable, modern and solid, 23 Nov. 2013
What can you say about a pair of cables that simply transfers lossless information? Well for one thing, they're not quite what I expected from a basics line. The build quality is really solid and the cable thickness is evidence enough that they won't damage easily. They look great too - modern and discrete. I think I'm totally sold on Amazonbasics. They've basically succeeded in creating precisely the type of cable I wanted, good value, discrete, nice looking, and solid build.

Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 Home Cinema System
Sony 1000W 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray BDVN590 Home Cinema System

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, clear mids and highs, lacks omph, 23 Nov. 2013
You'd be forgiven for thinking the black plastic satellites were portable ipod speakers, but I suppose black plastic is not uncommon in a modern living room and fits in quite well for most.

The subwoofer openings are positioned directly under the unit, aiming its rumblings directly at our neighbours below. Lucky for them, it hardly produces any.

There's a fine line between a crisp, clear and clean sound, and a weak, tinny one. For me, this system walks that line a little too finely.

I'm a big fan of amazon and online shopping generally, but in this case I made an exception, got a refund and then went to an offline store to hear some systems for real before purchasing, as despite the reviews, I didn't feel great about this system.

Richer sounds invited me into their demo room and introduced me to 'cambridge audio'. They are admittedly more pricey than sony, but for me, they truly gave that cinema experience that this system lacks, actually filling the room with dense sound you can feel - clear speech and crystal highs complemented by deep rumbling guttural suspense. In other words, sound with personal impact. In the end i went with the Minx S215 system, and don't regret it at all.